New Magnepan 20.7

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you saying the TacT allows for volume-based graphic eq? Maybe I'm missing your point. That would certainly be pretty nifty... to adjust the curve (at some number of Hz steps presumably) for each and every dB step of the attenuator's range.
TacT calls it Dynamic Room Correction. Works just like the Audyssey equivalent, except that the 12 base loudness curves (FM, refined by Robinson & Dodson 1956) can be edited by the user. Dunno the granularity 'cuz I've never done it, but I would assume it's the same as the basic FR target curve, which is 1Hz, 0.1dB increments. Interpolation on the fly between the twelve curves for every 0.1dB change in volume.

Problem with any kind of FM-based approach for 2ch (unlike movies) is that there are no standards for actual volume i.e. 85dB perceived by the listener could be -15dB, -8dB, -22dB or any other setting on the preamp, depending upon the CD in play.

Back on topic please!

Would the 20.7 be considered comparable to the CLX?

Well u have people here that have had maggies and now have the clx and vice versa. So it is reallly personal preference. I have odysseys and loved the 20.1. I have heard the old summit but not the X I thought the 20.1 was better than the old summit at least in the auditions I heard.

I just found this, from someone whose bass panels are buzzing. I believe they are original and need replacing i.e. they are 20+ years old. Whilst he's talking 3.7, it is interesting that even under-performing 20+ year old Duetta Sigs were deemed to trash the Maggie 3.7.

Here's the quote: "Before plunging into this refurbishing project, I listened to the Magnepan 3.7 which I thought would be a contender for the DS. Big disappointment, the bass of the 3.7 does not even come close to my DS. So this made the decision even easier. I have professionally built crates coming in tomorrow and will ship my babies to Rich next week."

Justin,

I'm glad you like your DS speakers but what does the above post have to do with the 20.7's?

Are you saying one should expect the same or similar bass from the 20.7 model that the person experienced from the 3.7 sibling?

Given the size difference, I would think not.

GG

Can't comment on the CLX because I haven't heard them. But I did own Summits and changed to Maggie 20.1 after I heard the latter. For me the 20.1 was far superior to the Summit. With the 20.1 the soundstage is just huge and the separation of instruments is outstounding. They just have a very natural sound and I heard much more detail from familiar recordings when listending to the 20.1. I also love the bass on the 20.1. It doesn't go as low as the Summit and is not as punchy but is just so natural.

Just an FYI. I saw an ad on their website that welcomes auditions of the 20.7 and a factory tour in Minnesota. I think it is sunny this time of year in minny. :). All kidding aside if I had the room and the jack that sounds like a blast.

Justin,

I'm glad you like your DS speakers but what does the above post have to do with the 20.7's?

Are you saying one should expect the same or similar bass from the 20.7 model that the person experienced from the 3.7 sibling?

Given the size difference, I would think not.

GG

It says nothing more than it says, Gordon. Choose to ignore it if you wish.

I'd say it makes it pretty clear that even a knackered 20+ year old Apogee can better the 3.7s bass, then a refurbed Diva would slaughter a 20.7.

However, can you rely on this person's judgement? We don't know him... others may not agree with him. Those that have been posting here for years don't agree with each other - and for the most part don't actually really know each other.

EDIT: but I guess the overriding point I'm trying to make in the thread is that if anyone is interested in the Maggies, they'd do well to consider some refurbed Aps - due to the similar ribbonish tech.

Last edited:
Hi folks, feel warm to meet you guys here. Could any 20.7 users post a few pics of the xover part? Haven't find any yet, just wanna know if they use any exotic components, the crossovers in my 3.7 only use common components. This makes me curious.

My biggest problem with Maggies is their look. What I love about ML is that they are art work in the room. Maggies are to plain and simple for me, though I have no doubt they sound amazing.

Back