so far, bad service with Emotiva

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUB SRT

Reaction score
Place my order with Emotiva for the xpa 2 late November. I was told my order would ship on 12/9. Called on 12/9, they then tell me 12/10. Call 12/10, they tell me it will be shipped out on 12/12. Call on 12/12 and they tell me it will be shipped out on the 15. Obviously, you can see that I'm frustrated. This company seems to really not want my money. I of course ask to speak with a supervisor or manager. She tells me it's her fault due to a shipping issue and had no info as to when (BOL issues). So I told her if doesn't ship on 12/15, I will be forced to cancel my order.:(

Any suggestions on a comparable amp with another company (my system is in my sig)? Seems like Emotiva doesn't seem they have everything together.:mad:

Thanks

Last edited:
I can't speak to your issues, but my experience was I ordered my Emotiva XPA-5 on 12/9, it shipped out on 12/12 and I received it on 12/16.

The outer box showed up pretty beaten up but the inside box was pristine and I have had no issues with my amp so far.

Gordon,

I didn't hear anything bad about them. Was told they made a great product and worked terrifically with electrostatic speakers. So I forked over the 700 bucks to buy it.

Wow. A lot of ugly. I guess some people have some getting along issues. Haha. Well with any company you will here good and bad things. Sure someone has had issues with ML and hates them. At the end of the day you just have to trust your ears. If feel my sources and the xpa2 will make for nice set up for a 22 year old on a fixed income. I look at my system though as a learning experience and stepping stone for future purchases.

Back on topic. Called emotiva today and they said the amp is set for fed ex to pick up. I'm suppose to get a tracking number tonight. So will wait and see.

Last edited:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DhmjJCBQ-cA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have one of their 2ch amps for my rear channels, it shipped quickly and had no problems.

I have one of their 2ch amps for my rear channels, it shipped quickly and had no problems.

Well it will be used for my fronts. Lol. I hope to get it soon. If I can't get it. I'll cancel and do more research on another amp.

In August I purchased a USP-1 Preamp and two UPA-1 mono-block amplifiers "B stock" from Emotiva. I did this not so much to save the few dollars that I "saved" but because the person I was dealing with at Emo said that new units were not available until later in the year. I am not disappointed in the performance of the product as much as I am in the performance of the company.

I was assured that the B stock units were "Factory Renewed", meaning thoroughly gone over by QC and would be the functional and cosmetic equivalent of new, and contain the same warranty. In good faith I went ahead and ordered the trio.

Upon receipt, I opened the Preamplifier only to find that the inner box had never been resealed, the preamp itself was not "professionally" packaged, the manual was missing, the power cord was not the one normally provided with Emotiva equipment and two screws were missing from the back of the remote (found loose in the bottom of the box) . How could this be if the equipment was thoroughly gone over? Opening the second box, one of the Mono-blocks everything was fine. The third box, the second amp was not so fortunate. The inner box also was not sealed, but the amp seemed to be properly packaged...however, the female SE RCA input socket was bent and nearly 60% ripped out of the case. The exterior of all three boxes were stamped FACTORY RENEWED EMOTIVA QC APPROVED. Once again how could this be if the equipment was thoroughly gone over? :mad:

I spoke with the individual whom I ordered the gear from originally and and after listening to my ranting he asked for the opportunity to make things right. He assured me that he would "personally" stand over QC to assure that the units would be right. I asked that only the UPA-1 be replaced because in spite of the indications that the units had not been gone over the Preamp seemed intact and was functioning normally. I didn't want Emo to spend anyone's hard earned $ on two way shipping for no good reason. I tried to be as understanding as possible..... I know that occasionally things "fall thru the cracks". :-/

Two days later I got shipping notification from FEDEX...my new amp was on it's way. But wait...it's fortunate that I am a thorough reader...they had shipped a UPA-2 instead of a UPA-1. How could this have happened if that individual had "stood over" QC and supervised the shipment? I wrote back to that individual and the next day I got a call from someone else in Emo with an apology, and I was assured everything would go right the next time. I requested that she mark the FEDEX shipment "Hold at Nearest FEDEX" facility so I wouldn't have to miss another entire day of work waiting. My nearest FEDEX facility is 8 miles away, but it's certainly better than to drive 8 miles than to lose an entire day's work in my book. Well, someone in Emo thought they knew better than me what to do... instead of marking it "Hold at nearest FEDEX facility they addressed the package to me at the address of the nearest FEDEX facility. Therefore when the package arrived at that indicated address there was nobody there by my name to sign for the amp. It was returned on the same truck it arrived on. I was sent an exception notice by email and later that day I was able to have the return truncated at the main FEDEX distribution Facility in West Palm Beach, FL which is 45 miles away. The following day I drove the 45 mi down there and picked up the amp and dropped off the RMA amp.....nearly a 3 hour round trip.

However, the story isn't over yet. Any reasonable person would think that after the two previous slip ups that SOMEONE would have been concerned enough to assure that the unit I was sent was 100%...well you would have been wrong, because even though the unit "works" the red LEDs in the rear that are supposed to indicate which voltage the unit is operating on don't. How could this have happened if that individual had "stood over" QC to be sure the unit was good? While these LEDs are not essential to the operation of the unit it kind of makes one wonder if the rest of the unit was gone over and is up to spec. :-/

I wrote about my adventure on EMOTIVA's forum and got attacked by the EMO bobble heads for telling the factual truth about their beloved company. After a week or so of being attacked, Dan, the owner came on and calmed the zealots down and assured everyone that Emotiva would make things right for me. He also called me but unfortunately I was indisposed due to being in Temple for a religious holiday and told him I would get back to him. Since that time I wrote him three times, one PM through the Emotiva site and two emails. Three weeks after the first PM, I got a PM back giving me his office phone number. I called that number as was passed from receptionist to secretary. I left a clear message who this was calling and asked that he return my call. That was over a month ago and I have not heard back from him. It's obvious to me that Dan's commitment to me was made only for the purpose of PR on his own forum....ie: "oil the squeaky wheel" then he immediately turned around and stuck his head back into the sand, with no intention of following through on it. I have lost hope that they will ever make things right without extensive effort on my part to get their attention.

Overall I find the gear performs decently even though there is strong evidence that it is made with cheap and unreliable parts. However, at the end of the day, good gear from a BAD company should be avoided as much as bad gear from a good company. The company shows signs of poor leadership from top down, employees who are not the brightest bulbs on the porch and a corporate attitude of indifference and lack of integrity that leads one to believe that they think the difference between right and wrong is what they can get away with. The more things I hear about Emotiva the more I believe that the company is in failure mode. They have been unable to efficiently bring their promised new products to the market, they have shipping issues, they have QC issues, they have personnel issues, they cut prices radically for the holidays in order to pre sell certain inventory. I say avoid at all costs.

Last edited:
wow. Jerry... Sounds like some bad service. I work in retail and no customer should go through that. I feel for you.

Well I checked my email this morning and had no tracking number sent to me. So called up EMO on my cell... Call 3 times within 20 mins, no answer. So I called from my work phone and they picked right up... I told Caitlyn (Administrative Assistant) that she told me last night I would have the tracking number for the product shipped out and never got one. She then said Ill email it to you... Few mins later, I get the email with a fed ex tracking number.. Only to find out nothing comes up... So I call Caitlyn back... She tells me that it will generate once fed ex takes it... I was wondering how that was possible considering I was told it was shipped out yesterday... I told Her to just cancel my order. While I was trying to explain while I was canceling my order (getting the run around, wrong info, rudeness, etc), she cuts me off mid sentence and says "your order has been cancelled, thanks." Then she hangs up on me.

First time I try to buy a Amp and have one of the worse customer service issues. Make me nervous to research another and find a different company. This also make me thankful that I know a company like ML; that stand behind their product and one of the BEST customer service in the world (IMO).

Well I'm looking to spending about 1k for a Amp. I know this may see, cheap to some of you, but I can't afford much more and hate just using my AVR.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Well I'm looking to spending about 1k for a Amp. I know this may see, cheap to some of you, but I can't afford much more and hate just using my AVR.

Are you opposed to buying used equipment? Check out Audiogon and search for amps 1k or less. You'll get a few choices! Consider a used Sunfire, Aragon, Classe, etc.

Are you opposed to buying used equipment? Check out Audiogon and search for amps 1k or less. You'll get a few choices! Consider a used Sunfire, Aragon, Classe, etc.

Do any of those brands have life time warranty? Or 5 years pretty standard?

Do any of those brands have life time warranty? Or 5 years pretty standard?

The best warranty you can expect is probably the remainder of the warranty. Bryston or Sanders (good luck finding a used one) may be exceptions. Dealers also post on A'gon. Finally, check some of the companies on the Audio Circles forum.

Good luck!

I wouldn't get hung up on warranty. I think it is rare for amps to go south I have had a sunfire for 5 years and 2 carver amps for almost 30. Not a problem w either. You will b getting a great discount buying used. So if something did go bad you are still ahead. Sometimes brick and mortars will sell used equipment as well w warranty.

I wasn't getting hung up. I was just asking questions. Sorry I didn't say that right. Used looks very appealing. Now I just got decide if I want solid state or tube. I also need more info/ do more research on tube amps.

HUB,
I feel your pain with bad customer service, but if the Emotiva Amp is what you are wanting or any other amp for that matter, I dont see this as a real big deal? Maybe I am too laid back, but the order was messed up or delayed or obviously mishandled by Emotiva for some reason, but I just dont think its that big of a deal. You will get the amp eventually and you will be happy with it.
I can tell you that my whole front end is Emotiva. I bought a cd player used and had a cd loading issue when it arrived. (so much for an honest seller). I had it sent to Emotiva and returned fixed within 1 business week. Sometimes, companies drop the ball because they grow too fast or have unreliable staff. Maybe there is an internal issue that they are not disclosing to you...but this does not make the audio gear bad. If you want the Emo Amps, my suggestion is get them. If I understand your post correctly...you were at a point where you actually had a tracking number that could be verified for your amps, and you chose to cancel the order then? I just dont get that HUB.
I have a feeling your justification is that you canceled out of principal, but still....why? Now, you dont have the goods you were wanting in the first place!
Please dont take offense to my post--I am not trying to be aggressive. I'm just confused.

Dominick

HUB,
I feel your pain with bad customer service, but if the Emotiva Amp is what you are wanting or any other amp for that matter, I dont see this as a real big deal? Maybe I am too laid back, but the order was messed up or delayed or obviously mishandled by Emotiva for some reason, but I just dont think its that big of a deal. You will get the amp eventually and you will be happy with it.
I can tell you that my whole front end is Emotiva. I bought a cd player used and had a cd loading issue when it arrived. (so much for an honest seller). I had it sent to Emotiva and returned fixed within 1 business week. Sometimes, companies drop the ball because they grow too fast or have unreliable staff. Maybe there is an internal issue that they are not disclosing to you...but this does not make the audio gear bad. If you want the Emo Amps, my suggestion is get them. If I understand your post correctly...you were at a point where you actually had a tracking number that could be verified for your amps, and you chose to cancel the order then? I just dont get that HUB.
I have a feeling your justification is that you canceled out of principal, but still....why? Now, you dont have the goods you were wanting in the first place!
Please dont take offense to my post--I am not trying to be aggressive. I'm just confused.

Dominick

The tracking number had no information in it when I typed it in. Poor service can't be excused. This tells me something about the company. If I'm having issues now. What would happen if I had a issue and came time to work with this company again? That just scares me. I'm refuse to be put in a situation were I could be out 700 to 800 bucks. That's a lot of money for me. Now I can research and make a more educated decision on my amp. I guess I have a tendency to compare all customer service experience to ML (who goes above and beyond). However, I think companies shouldnt give me the run around and lie. Now that I spoke up. I keep finding more and more negative things about emotiva. Granted, I know it's very easy to point out something negative. It still needs to be considered.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Back