System #420 (CLX, Descent-i, Stage X, Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having heard the exact same set up with CLX and twin Depth subs in a LARGE room like yours , I feel your shorting your self by having them that close to the rear walls.. get them out 7 to 8 feet with a bit of toe and let the depths stay and the stage will be much more detailed.. images will be more precise.. The twin depth CLX set up I listen to regularly is powered by twin Krell EVO mono blocks .. CLX LOVE POWER and current

Very nice set up .. JUST MY OPINION based on no scientific basis but my own ears..

Having heard the exact same set up with CLX and twin Depth subs in a LARGE room like yours , I feel your shorting your self by having them that close to the rear walls.. get them out 7 to 8 feet with a bit of toe and let the depths stay and the stage will be much more detailed.. images will be more precise. [...] JUST MY OPINION based on no scientific basis but my own ears..

I'd like to be able to give that a try, but there's an Unfortunate Wall behind the couch that limits rearward movement.

Someday I want to yank that wall out of there and replace it with a horizontal span. Someday.

Upgraded the player to Oppo 205. Sounds amazing, and 4K is breathtaking.

Also hooked up a Roku Premiere for grins, only to discover that it's useless without shelling out for subscriptions--lots of them--so it's probably going to go away.

Wound up keeping the Roku. We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime, so no need to add more subscriptions.

Also, replaced the Celerity optical HDMI cable with a RUIPRO. The Celerity had seemed fine, but with 4K it sometimes displayed white streaks. The RUIPRO passed a full 4K test over on avsforum, and has never acted up.

Wound up keeping the Roku. We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime, so no need to add more subscriptions.

Also, replaced the Celerity optical HDMI cable with a RUIPRO. The Celerity had seemed fine, but with 4K it sometimes displayed white streaks. The RUIPRO passed a full 4K test over on avsforum, and has never acted up.

Right now I'm running two Roku's. One is a 4K version connected to a 4K TV. I also have 3 x OPPO Blue ray players.

My thoughts are that streamed 4K content looks better, but only because of the higher bitrate, not because of the resolution. What I mean is that unless you are close to the screen you can never resolve 4K worth of information. However the compression on 1080p video takes away a lot of detail and streamed 4K content has more information.

As an example going in the other direction, I have the Babylon 5 series on DVD in wide screen format. My OPPO uprezes it commendably well and it is enjoyable to watch on my 75" TV.

However if you ever watch Babylon 5 streamed, IT LOOKS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE because they've compressed the signal dramatically.

I currently Stream the following sources on my Roku's, ( Netflix, Hulu, CBS, Amazon Prime, Ted Talks, YouTube, Great Courses Plus )

I have also completely disconnected my Smart TV's from the internet. They are both android devices and have built in support for Netflix etc, but they waste too much time updating themselves for apps and security reasons. I prefer to have them work as dumb terminals.

Latest posts

Back