Not your average 'ash tray'

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Allright gang, check out my latest project..........Mega Ash Tray !

The first phase is complete, milled out the top of the piston dome to create the ash tray dish and cut in the two cigar cradles. Next will be to incorporate the wrist pin, connecting rod and base, which at this point I plan on using an old brake wheel from a freight car. Total weight of this beast when done.........145-150 lbs !!!

FWIW, the piston is out of one of our Alco Locomotives, '244' Prime Mover IMG_0878.jpg

Nice piston tray! Hey, I found one of your favorite Double Ligero's at my local shop that was HUGE. It had to have been 9" long by 60 ring gauge. Took me a full two hours to smoke it, but it was a nice smoke. Keep an eye out for them. Only ten bucks a stogie, as I recall.

Hm... the ultimate non-resonant enclosure, Dave? Slap a drive unit in the gaping hole and smoke out to some good tunes.

Nice party piece - should attract some comments:)

Allright gang, check out my latest project..........Mega Ash Tray !

The first phase is complete, milled out the top of the piston dome to create the ash tray dish and cut in the two cigar cradles. Next will be to incorporate the wrist pin, connecting rod and base, which at this point I plan on using an old brake wheel from a freight car. Total weight of this beast when done.........145-150 lbs !!!

FWIW, the piston is out of one of our Alco Locomotives, '244' Prime MoverView attachment 15063

Dave while I love the ashtray , Im more impressed with your workbench! Looks like a mans workbench right down to the ammo.

I had no idea that any piston dome was thick enough to mill out like that.

I don't smoke in the house (occasional cigar or pipe) but would like to do an odd ash tray project myself one day.

The rest of the 'Pieces to the Puzzle' !!

As you can see I now have piston, wrist pin, and connecting rod assembly. Still not sure what I'll use for a base, the height of the assembled piston and rod is pretty much where I want it so the brake wheel idea will probably add too much height. connecting rod and wrist pin add another 85#'s !

I'm thinking about maybe bolting it to a pair of tie plates.........IMG_0935.jpg

Latest posts

Back