Almost Famous (DTS) "Director's Edition - The Bootleg Cut"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Title: Almost Famous (DTS) “Director’s Edition – The Bootleg Cut”
Year of Release: 2000
Film Studio: Columbia Pictures / DreamWorks Pictures
Genre: Drama

This film is like a page in the life of the Writer / Director Cameron Crowe. Crowe actually toured with Led Zeppelin, as a 16-year-old, teen-aged rock journalist, for Rolling Stone magazine and more… I think, that is why this film has the feel of realism to it. You get the distinct impression that you are on tour with the fictitious band ‘Stillwater’, which is what Crowe has intended.

Unknown, Patrick Fugit, plays ‘William Miller’ and is just right as the young eager to please free-lance rock journalist (a young Cameron Crowe). Considering the fact that the film takes place in 1973 when the actor - Fugit wasn’t even born yet. Crowe had to assign Fugit to know the rock music of 1973, which included Led Zeppelin, The Who, Neil Young, David Bowie and Peter Frampton. Fugit simply, shines during the 'over-dose, scenes with Kate Hudson.

‘Stillwater’ is lead by, lead guitarist 'Russell Hammond', played by Billy Crudup. Crudup does an excellent job as the rock idol of the band. Jason Lee plays the lead singer 'Jeff Bebe', with comic realistic style. Real-life musicians Mark Kozelek and John Fedevich complete the on screen band ‘Stillwater’.

I really thought the performance of Kate Hudson was so dramatic and right-on, as the groupie traveling with the band as well as, with other groupies. Hudson brought tenderness and real emotion to this film. She made this film for me... As the director recognized, ‘Kate Hudson, possessed the charisma and presence to make ‘Penny Lane’ appealing and convincing.’ I loved her good-bye scene with Fugit... I thought Anna Paquin was terrific as fellow groupie to Hudson’s character. Paquin was light, carefree, and physically beautiful in her performance.

‘Lester Bangs’, portrayed by the superb actor Philip Seymore Hoffman, was marvelous as the mentor, to the young ‘William Miller’. Hoffman was so dramatic, yet funny at the same time, he was just great.
The best for last.., I just loved the performance of Frances McDormand, as William Miller’s mother Elaine. Liberal yet strict, an outstanding portrayal here for McDormand. She was real and that’s what made her performance so special heartwarming and comically hilarious. McDomand’s comic timing was excellent. When her character talks to Billy Crudup's character, over the pay phone, and when he comes to her house to visit, McDomand is just so humorously in control... :D

The music of the band 'Stillwater' in very entertaining and sound excellent in DTS sound. This ‘Bootleg Cut is presented on two DVD disc’s. The first disc is the Bootleg cut with 39 minutes added to the film, and it is in DTS sound. The second disc is the original theatrical version of the film presented in 5.1 (No DTS). I really love DTS musical concert films, the sound is always powerful sounding.

I recommend both but I prefer, 'The Bootleg Cut', for the DTS sound and the extended version makes you get more of the feeling that you are on tour with the band. This is and excellent double DVD disc of ‘Almost Famous’. In addition you also get a 'Stillwater' CD with six songs of the film's band. It's a very entertaining CD.

I highly recommend “Almost Famous – The Bootleg Cut”. Enjoy with your ML’s up full blast to concert levels and you will feel like you are actually there on tour with a Rock and Roll band… :D

:D HT relaxed, comfortably in ML bliss, until next time, let the movies turn you on…

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• B00005OM4Q.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B00005OM4Q.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
The Bootleg Edition has a cool extra feature. in one of the deleted scenes, William is trying to convince his mother to allow him to go with the band. To win her over, he puts Stairway to Heaven on the stereo.

Since Crowe could not get rights to the song (I am guessing) you have to play your own copy of STH. There's even a cue so you can start it at the exact time, and the song plays through the whole scene. Just to be proper I used my lp version. And yes I did air guitar and air drums just like the characters did. Great song, great recording, great scene.

Excellent...

jfm said:
The Bootleg Edition has a cool extra feature. in one of the deleted scenes, William is trying to convince his mother to allow him to go with the band. To win her over, he puts Stairway to Heaven on the stereo.

Since Crowe could not get rights to the song (I am guessing) you have to play your own copy of STH. There's even a cue so you can start it at the exact time, and the song plays through the whole scene. Just to be proper I used my lp version. And yes I did air guitar and air drums just like the characters did. Great song, great recording, great scene.
jfm,

I'll have to check this out too...

How cool... :D

Thanks... :D I love Led Zeppelin and 'Stairway'... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Latest posts

Back