Hooking up a Depth sub to a Denon AVR-990 receiver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigcl

Reaction score
I have a set of ML Vista's with a Depth i sub. Receiver is a Denon AVR-990 (same as 3310). I'm trying to hook up my Depth and am not sure how to proceed. The Denon has a single subwoofer RCA output jack so I was running that to the Depth LFE input but that doesn't seem to do anything. When I run the cable to the sub left input it works fine. Should I go ahead and split the signal and run it into the sub's left and right inputs?

Thanks!

on the Denons speaker configuration, you need to say yes or both for the LFE to be active. test with materail with .1 data, like a movie. our owners manual will go through it all in depth including a method that allows you to have two different leves/xovers for music and movie listening. 3 cables from LFE and R/outputs for max flexibility.

If that Denon is anything like my Marantz AV-7005 (which I think it might be) the sub won't play when you're listening to a stereo source unless you run RCA's out of the pre-outs for Front Left and Front Right on your receiver to the inputs on the Depth, and switch to what I think the Denon setup menu will call "LFE+Main" in the speaker setup. The Subwoofer pre-out for LFE won't send a signal on anything without the ".1" track on some receivers.

i think that the OP is saying that
if he runs a cable from the Denon RCA sub out to the Depth LFE input he gets nothing
if he runs a cable from the Denon RCA sub out to the Depth Left input he gets sound.

that sounds like an issue with the Depth not the Denon as the Denon should output signal regardless of what's on the other end of the cable.

using the Left/Right inputs of the Depth is not the way it would normally be hooked up as the Left/Right inputs on the Depth pass through it's internal crossover/filter in addition to the Denon's crossover/filter.

I agree, if the subwoofer pre-out is providing the subwoofer signal when you plug it into the left channel input, but the same cable plugged into the same pre-out provides no sound when plugged into the LFE input, it sounds like the LFE input is dead. I don't know how the sub would react to splitting the LFE signal and plugging it into the Left/Right inputs. I guess it might work if you just set the crossover to the highest level on the Depth (basically bypassing it) since the processor will be doing the crossover for the sub. However, if it's still under warranty I'd give ML a call. You shouldn't be needing to jimmy-rig the connections on a $2200 sub.

in further reading you may have a dead input. warranty will take care of that.
But, to correct or better, enlighten, we do recomemd using all 3 inputs for movie/music systems. since music typically won't sound great with the typical 80 hz .1 asks for so by setting your processor to "ultra" LFE+mains or whatever the last mode is, you can set a higher level and set the movies xover in your processor for when you want the bombast and then on musice you can set the woofer xover and its level for a music appropiate level. Same idea as the RELS although we do allow either speaker wire or RCAs as opposed to speaker wire only for music on Rels. I don't know why more subs don't allow that jeckyl/hyde ability. I can't stand music played on most home theater rigs because of that.

Back