Room treatment for source floors

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUB SRT

Reaction score
Made panels today to absorb some of the sound from the sources. Was causing to many vibrations and issues with the wall. Sound was getting distorted. Here is the pics.

Can't do any project without a good cigar :)
a232afee.jpg

f3501235.jpg

d02dd156.jpg

6635dd99.jpg

Hubbard, results look good.

What material is on the panels?

I used dynomat from best buy and yoga foam/ rubber from dicks sporting goods. The cloth over is made of polyester. I did this because I knew I would have bigger issues once I got my xpa2. Will test once I'm home. Was having issues with low end.

Last edited:
I'm going to see if I can find someone local to check my system out. Someone who knows MLs. I feel I'm missing something and I'm sure another set of eyes would help.

By the way, the song I was listening to was fantasy by "The Xx." I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but only thing I know that has a lot of low end sound.

Dave,

There was a Oliva tasting by me:) Buy 2, get 2 free.

Last edited:
Hub, nice project. However if you are trying to improve low end at all, you really need to build some bass traps stuffed with rigid fiberglass at least 6" thick and put them in front corners. I am not sure what the Dynamat and yoga mat accomplishes. If your ceiling fan rattles the remove the fan!

You will find alot of DIY sound absorbers / diffusers/ bass trap projects on here!
Gordon

Hub, nice project. However if you are trying to improve low end at all, you really need to build some bass traps stuffed with rigid fiberglass at least 6" thick and put them in front corners. I am not sure what the Dynamat and yoga mat accomplishes. If your ceiling fan rattles the remove the fan!

You will find alot of DIY sound absorbers / diffusers/ bass trap projects on here!
Gordon

I have also seen people build like sand boxes to help absorb base for the MLs to sit on. If your talking bass traps for the corner of my room, that's pretty far away from the speakers. Thanks again for everyone's help:)

I have also seen people build like sand boxes to help absorb base for the MLs to sit on. If your talking bass traps for the corner of my room, that's pretty far away from the speakers. Thanks again for everyone's help:)
I've built sand boxes for mine on a sprung (wood platform) floor, looks like this is a finished basement, so I would not go that route.

Even if your speakers are far from any corner, bass still loads the room and bounces around the intersection of planes (ceiling/walls/floor). In a small room bass gets even more temperamental and needs managing (bass traps).

In addition, basement walls are great containers of bass, leaving it few options of escape. So the bass sticks around and causes trouble like a drunken teenager bumping into everything.

I'm not in a basement. This is my living room. Haha. However, part of my system is linked to the building i'm in. I'm on a 2nd story apartment (above a garage). It used to be a barn and was converted over. The building is over a 100 years old.

I will look into the sand blocks though and bass traps.

Back