ML Summit vs. Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac_tweety

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new in this forum. I am thinking to change my speakers...

My budget allows me to buy a new ML Ethos or a "used" 2 years old ML Summit ( same price ).
What's your opinion ? What's the better deal ?

Thank you

Hola and Welcome. If the Summits are only two years of use, then the model should be Summit X. On the other hand, I will choose the Summits, even if it is not X over the Ethos. The Ethos is a great speaker, but the Summits are the second model of the ML line. Ethos are No. 4. If you have room for the Summits, go for them. Bigger panel size, two 10" woofers, two power amps to drive each woofer. Two controls for bass performance: one at 25Hz and other at 50 Hz and both controls at +- 10dB. There is no comparison. Effortless music is what you get through them. Big stage and right with the size of the instruments. Vocals are palpable and the timbre is just right! Retail price in the U.S. is $ 6500.00 for the Ethos and $ 14.500.00 for the Summits X. Twiece the price... just my 2 cents. Happy listening and trust your ears.

Agree with Roberto. I picked up a pair of Summits about a week ago and before hearing them went to check out the new ML line, namely the Ethos (what the audio store had on display). While the comparison is far from apples to apples - different listening rooms, different front ends, amplification, etc, etc it was still readily apparent to me how much more I liked the Summits. My only comment in addition to Roberto's is that compared to my SL3s, it seems that ML managed to alleviate the "coloration" common with older MLs (panel/woofer integration, bass response, etc etc). A better comparison in the used market might be Spire vs Summit. Several heated threads in this forum comparing the two.

Also, key determining factors include room size, amplification. Happy listening.

If this is a summit x u r talking about then no question get the x. If this is the older summit they can b had for under 5k on audiogon. I see that the ethos stickers at 6800. So only u know the 'deal' but just wanted to make sure you knew going rates on the net.

Thank you for your replies. I'm talking about the Summit ( without X).
The "used" Summit is 500,-€ cheaper than the new Ethos. My room is about 5m x 9m ( 16 x 29 feet. )
Amplifier will be McIntosh C2300/MC252 ( 2*250W). Next week I have the opportunity to hear both speakers ( but at differnt locations/deales ).

After testing Ethos vs. Summit ( ok. in different locations but with same amplifier - MC252 )
I decide to buy the Ethos. I've heard the Ethos in my living room - the Summit at the dealer.
The Summit is stronger in bass ( but I think too much for my room ) but not so detailed.
The Ethos has a wide open stage and you can hear every detail. With the Summit I missed this.
Example: I listen to a "dummy head" recording from Stax ( sounds fantastic with my Stax Headphone ).
The Summit could not reflect the steroscopic details of this recording.
With the Ethos every tone and every "ambient noise" was perfect pictured.
Togehter with my McIntosh equipment the Ethos sounds heavenly.
Detailed and deep bass ( in my room -3db adjusted ), silky mid-range and clear highs.
So the Ethos is a big recommendation.

mac_tweety, I noticed a similar thing regarding detail when I was considering the Theos over older ML designs. I bought the Theos because of the superior musicality and coherency of the new design.

CONGRATS on the purchase. Detail plus the warmth of MAC. Very sweet.

Everything sounds fine now... but I like to change the speaker cables.
Currently I use Kimber 8PR cables. I think obout update to Kimber 8TC clear/white.
Would this be an update ? Has someone a good suggestion for cables connecting ML and McIntosh ?

Hi mac,

The golden rule in purchasing any wire is to audition in your system (with money back option) before you buy. Make sure wires are fully "burned in" before the audition.

This is a very subjective issue and only you can /should decide what's best for you.

GG

Fully agree with Gordon's comments .. Home trial essential. Recommend
Abbey Road series if you can get a hold of them where you are, they've transformed
my system. I prefer them to Kimber, greater pace and naturalness, but if you like your current
Kimber, then you will likely not disturb your current tonal balance with an upgrade within the same cable manufacturer.
You say Everything Fine yet want to change cables!!?? Not quite logical and especially with new speakers it would be my advice to wait and see if you really do want to change and be clearer about the kind of change you're looking for .. It will generally be a more satisfying move if you know in what way your system departs from your desired sound/ the real thing, rather than a restless "upgrade" Hope this helps!!! Interested to know how you go!!! Cheers

Hello Dougster,

you're right. Never touch a running system ;-) - ( especially a good sounding system ).
I hope if Kimper RP8 sounds very good the 8TC will sound better ( more expensive ?? ) .
When my dealer installed the Ethos we compared the Kimber 8PR with Nordost "blue heaven"
but the difference in sound was relativly small. The diference between differnt "DACs" was bigger.

... I'll try to test various cables.

Hi mac,

The golden rule in purchasing any wire is to audition in your system (with money back option) before you buy. Make sure wires are fully "burned in" before the audition.

This is a very subjective issue and only you can /should decide what's best for you.

GG

Could not agree with Gordon more...from costly personal experience!!

Back