Shopping for new (to me) ML's. Vista versus ESL comparo anyone / anywhere?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvanosta

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of ML speakers, ever since I heard the original Quest demo'd at a HiFi show in London more than 20 years ago. I actually owned a pair of Quests for most of the '90s and loved them every minute.

Since then, I have moved countries a couple of times and learned to 'travel light', so I got rid of a lot of stuff along the way. Now I'm settled in SoCa and ready to renew my relationship with ML. I have been shopping around, gathering price points and reviews on various models of used ML speakers. I understand the difference between Vista and Vantage (powered vs. unpowered sub). What I would like some input on, is the difference between the Vista and the ESL, considering both appear in the used market around the same price point. I am looking for any user feedback, links to reviews, opinions, etc. What are each speaker's pros and cons, weaknesses and strengths, how do they differ, how are they alike, etc.

As an ancillary question: if I were to move up a step in used price and include the Ascent, what would your recommendation be then?

Thank you for your feedback.

Thank you, I am famliar with the acronym ESL. Hwever I was referring to the MODEL.

I meant the

ElectroMotion ESL Speakers

Those are the only ones I have come across in the ML catalog that have the ESL letters in their name (at least the only floorstander comparable to the Vista)and therefore I assumed that everybody on the ML owners forum would know what I was referring to :)

Okay - makes sense now. I've not heard the ElectroMotions (EMs), but I own the Vista. I would generally go for the higher model, as long as you know the history and/or can put new panels on if necessary.

+1 - As a Vista owner, I'm incredibly pleased with them. Though I am interested in auditioning the Electromotion ESL. I only say them at the Toronto A/V show in October and if the were out at the time I purchased my Vista's (new), I seriously would have considered them.
I think a lot also depends on your supporting electronics, especially Amp/Pre or AVR.

Recent Vista owner here,Listened to EML's first- only thing I dont care for is image height on the EM'S
You cant go wrong with either, make sure you have enough juice - not really watts to drive em.................

Thank you all for your input. That is the kind of feedback I was looking for without going to a dealership and wasting their time (I'm looking to buy used online).

I did not expect the Electromotion to be the equa; of the Vista at half the price, but I am looking to get opinions from those who have heard both, to tell me whether the difference is huge, medium or small. The speakers would be used as the front pair in a home theater, for both 5.1 movies and stereo music.

I'm going to go ahead and hijack this thread, since I'm in the exact same predicament and didn't want to create a new thread.

I've got an Emotiva UMC-1 processor and an XPA-2 amp that I'll be using to drive these speakers. So given that, would the EM-ESL or the Vista be the better option? The Vista seems like it might be better given the larger area, but maybe they made some improvements with the EM-ESL, given that it's a newer model? Yet the Vista retailed for much, much more back when it came out...

Right now, they're pretty much the same price, so I'm really quite unsure which to go with.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat. Loved the EM Esl except
The vertical image. Got a great price on the Vista
And got it completely unheard. I took the Vista up 4 in. And I am in Love.
No idea how the Emotiva will act with this combo.

I own and love the Electromotion ESL. I have heard heard the Vistas and there is just something about the bass with the EM's that I prefer over the Vista. Otherwise, I feel that they are pretty comparable.

Back