System #415 (Source, Fresco i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUB SRT

Reaction score
John Hubbard

Greensburg, Indiana (USA)

Speakers:
Center: Fresco I
Floors: Sources (black)
Rears: Motion 2
Sub: dynamo 8" downward firing

Bought most of my speakers in the summer and fall of 2010

Mods/Changes: none

Associated Electronics: Pioneer Elite VSX-33 receiver, Panamax 5300 power center, Samsung 51D550 plasma TV, Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier, PS3 160GB used as main blu ray player, POS apple TV 2, XBOX One, Numark turn table

HTPC:
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40 GHz 3.70 GHz
RAM: 8 GB (will upgrade to 16 soon).
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 Ti
Hard drive storage: +13 TB

IMG_20110807_152141.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I wanted to hook a amp up to it, but don't believe my avr can. Was looking at this.
http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

From the pics I googled it appears that your Pioneer Elite has pre outs so you should be able to hook up an external amp. So no real need for the SC-57 unless you plan on a 9.1 setup.

VSX-33_REAR_lg.jpg

Use the Front Pre outs (right above the L surround speaker post) if you plan on having the amp power the Source.

Looking at that last picture it looks like the only thing it can't do is make toast. With all that switching functionality, etc, it makes me wonder how those things actually sound.

From the pics I googled it appears that your Pioneer Elite has pre outs so you should be able to hook up an external amp. So no real need for the SC-57 unless you plan on a 9.1 setup.

VSX-33_REAR_lg.jpg

Use the Front Pre outs (right above the L surround speaker post) if you plan on having the amp power the Source.

I did want a amp for the floors. Looks like the upa2 separates the input for left and right. My avr doesn't separate left and right for the amp it appears. So suggesting a pre-amp instead? Thanks, still learning.

Hi Hubbard,

I have the Purity's, that are almost the same speakers in weight and size. Looking at your pics, it looks like you didn't attach the spikes underneath. I would try them, in order to have a better coupling to the hard floor underneath your carpet. And if you are able to put them on a hard floor directly, you might want to try some spike footers made by Harmonix. I used to use the RF900's, the least expensive model, and they really opened up the soundstage. Recently I even upgraded them to a more sophisticated model. On the second hand market these devices are not as expensive, and if you are not happy with them, it usually isn't very difficult to sell them again at the same price.

Hi Hubbard,

I have the Purity's, that are almost the same speakers in weight and size. Looking at your pics, it looks like you didn't attach the spikes underneath. I would try them, in order to have a better coupling to the hard floor underneath your carpet. And if you are able to put them on a hard floor directly, you might want to try some spike footers made by Harmonix. I used to use the RF900's, the least expensive model, and they really opened up the soundstage. Recently I even upgraded them to a more sophisticated model. On the second hand market these devices are not as expensive, and if you are not happy with them, it usually isn't very difficult to sell them again at the same price.

I do have the spikes on. Have very tall carpet.
80595cac.jpg

Im very happy with the speakers, just was wanting to know if anyone did any tweaks to them.

I see... I thought the speakers were wobbling about on your carpet...
I don't know of any other ways to tweak them. Adjusting room acoustics though, is always a good and often not expensive means to better sound.

Looking at that last picture it looks like the only thing it can't do is make toast. With all that switching functionality, etc, it makes me wonder how those things actually sound.

They sound really good I think. It's a great starting point in my opinion before you move up.

Yes, although With your setup you'd be better off getting an XPA-5 and gettin cleaner, better power to your whole system. The XPA-2 is kinda overkill for those speakers. I have an XPA-5 running my Theos/Motif/FX2 system and it's great. This would also let you eventually move into the world of separates which is a big upgrade.

Yes, although With your setup you'd be better off getting an XPA-5 and gettin cleaner, better power to your whole system. The XPA-2 is kinda overkill for those speakers. I have an XPA-5 running my Theos/Motif/FX2 system and it's great. This would also let you eventually move into the world of separates which is a big upgrade.

I'm mainly getting the xpa2 for my 2 channel stereo listening. While I will use it for watching movies, music is what I had in mind.

I'm not seeing RCA hook ups on the XPA 2

Last edited:
There are stereo RCA and balanced XLR inputs on the XPA-2 (and all XPA amps). There is a switch to select balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA), although its not a truly balanced amp (the XPA-1 is the only fully balanced XPA series amp). You could also get 2 UPA-1s which would fit those speakers well.

I'm mainly getting the xpa2 for my 2 channel stereo listening. While I will use it for watching movies, music is what I had in mind.

I'm not seeing RCA hook ups on the XPA 2

While it's not advertised anymore the XPA-5 puts out around 450 watts @ 4ohm with 2 channels driven so it's "close" to the XPA-2 but is more versatile with home theater. I'm thinking of going that route in the near future.

There are stereo RCA and balanced XLR inputs on the XPA-2 (and all XPA amps). There is a switch to select balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA), although its not a truly balanced amp (the XPA-1 is the only fully balanced XPA series amp). You could also get 2 UPA-1s which would fit those speakers well.

I spoke with someone at emotiva about my speakers and was very passionate about the xpa2. It also leaves my a upgrade path for the future and I'll make my sources my rears :) had to zoom in on the pic to see the RCA. The XPA 5 seem way to much for my other speakers. Haha. Before I get the amp in about a week, need to treat the room behind the sources. Having a few issues when I crank it up.

Made panels today to absorb some of the sound from the sources. Was causing to many vibrations and issues with the wall. Sound was getting distorted. Here is the pics.

Can't do any project without a good cigar :)
a232afee.jpg

f3501235.jpg

d02dd156.jpg

6635dd99.jpg

Last edited:
Back