Anyone with Shun Mook Mpingo discs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Hola. I´m playing with the "spatial control" from shun mook team. Does anyone here at the forum is using the mpingo discs? As some of you might recall that I had lost my lap-top with all the info. (no back-up) that I had with my findings with wood, using it as "tone shape" and their natural resonance. Now, I´m having a lot of fun with the discs, and it is called "Sympathetic resonance".
..."Shun Mook is not black magic but very simple physics. Sympathetic
resonance is the main principal behind it. As in high school you have
experimented with tuning forks. Strike one fork of the same frequency
and bring it next to a same fork the stationary one will start to
react without even touching it"...

They do work in my system and the truth is, I have more harmonics than before...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

I do believe in them, as I have experienced improvements in a show situation, where they removed them from the room whilst listening and the sound got worse immediately. Ever tried the Harmonix tuning devices?

SugarMedia said:
Hi Roberto-

Which disc are you using? (A-E)

I will probably give them a try on my CDP and amp... though it's doubtful they will stay on the slanted surface of the Aeon-i.

http://www.shunmook.com/text1.htm

Hola Sugarmedia. I´m using the spatial control B-3. (44 Mpingo discs). It´s a lot of fun to listen how they affect your system for good. I just wanted to know if some of you have some tips for them. I have a total of 52 discs in my system...thanks for your input!!!...I think that they are good to sound. I have never heard a piano as I am doing now!. I´m trying with solo instruments, then I´m taking notes. If you are interested in them, please send an e-mail... [email protected]
The speakers that I´m using are the Aeon i, with Audio Analogue integrated Maestro amplifier and the Maestro 96-24 cd player. Cables DHlbas BL1-II 1.5 meters and Silversonic high-resolution speaker cable. Very interesting findings...
Happy Holydays and warm regards from Costa Rica to all of you!!!!
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Once I find the natural resonance frequency of the universe, I shall become one with God. Well, that's one untested theory anyway. :D

kach22i said:
Once I find the natural resonance frequency of the universe, I shall become one with God. Well, that's one untested theory anyway. :D
Hola Kach22i. You are too much. :D ...the truth is that they do work...and I don't see why not I should not share this with you too :rolleyes:
Trust your ears, not in specs!...happy listening,
Pura vida :D
Roberto.

i had an experience of these last year at a hifi show. sat and listened for about an hour or so. not only did i not 'get it' but could not hear a difference whatsoever. and the price??? :eek: :eek: :confused:

if it where my money, go out for a nice meal and buy yourself a bit more music, its a far more satisfying way of spending your (hard earned) money.

i went out of the room laughing to myself that this must be the ultimate in snake oil. to me, a major MAJOR rip off.

A.N.

A.N. said:
i went out of the room laughing to myself that this must be the ultimate in snake oil. to me, a major MAJOR rip off.

A.N.
I'm not taking that side, not after doing many, many experiments of support material under my turntable, preamp and loudspeakers.

My personal theory is that every material has a sound, a sound based on it's resonance and basic character.

Steel is cold and strong

Glass is transparent but with glare

Wood is warm, grainy and soft (depending on the wood of course).

Ceramaic composites (grinding/cutting wheels) are ultimate tone tuner, still working on a proper description - best of all properties.

EDIT: Some pretty good Q & A here, scroll down to "Journalists ask us"...

http://www.brightstaraudio.com/press_room.htm#What

Last edited:
it wasnt just my oppinion on the day, virtually everyone (aside to a few hardened believers, ie shun mook owners!) did not hear one iota of difference, and as i say, the price :eek:

make of it what you will, but the difference in sound quality isnt worth the outlay, much better with a chateau neuf du pape for that.

also, different materials do produce different sounds, you only need to ask a drummer for that.

nope, dont geddit! :confused: :confused:

my tuppence worth. and as for the difference in sound if you turn the discs a couple of mil :D

tis true snake oil imo.

A.N. said:
it wasnt just my oppinion on the day, virtually everyone (aside to a few hardened believers, ie shun mook owners!) did not hear one iota of difference, and as i say, the price :eek:
Must of been the humidity that day. ;)

Good comment on the drummer thing. :cool:

why thank you :)

really tho, i cant believe, EVER, that it does make a difference. i think if you struggle to hear a difference, the brain will cast doubt. if there is a difference, it should be noticed straight away. night and day an' all that.
me? i'd rather sample the difference between a laphroig and a glenlivett, much more satisfying :D

but hey, if you CAN notice the difference in sound AND its worth the wonga, then knock yourselves out. no pockets in shrouds et al :D

A.N. said:
why thank you :)

really tho, i cant believe, EVER, that it does make a difference. i think if you struggle to hear a difference, the brain will cast doubt. if there is a difference, it should be noticed straight away. night and day an' all that.
me? i'd rather sample the difference between a laphroig and a glenlivett, much more satisfying :D

but hey, if you CAN notice the difference in sound AND its worth the wonga, then knock yourselves out. no pockets in shrouds et al :D

Hola A.N. It is sad that you can not hear it. You can't imagine the fun that I'm getting through them. I was wondering if in the U.S.A. is easy to make and get a patented pending product. All shun mook are patented pending products. There are some people that can hear it, and other don't. This does not mean that you have to make a joke of it...in other words, we (the believers) could say "you can't hear a thing", where do you have your ears? and this is not the case. Please, if you didn't find or could listen a difference, this does not mean that there isn't. On the other hand, there are many reviewers that have found a big difference in sound for good with them, and many others, like myself, that we do hear the benefit of the Mping discs. You are listening, I assume, them wrong. What they do is make your own room more musical, more natural harmonics of the instruments...and this is due to the Ebano wood. Please read this: http://www.vansevers.com/support.html and download "Art & Science of Audio Tweaking". Here you will find a lot of different exercices to understand what we are hearing...hope this can help! Happy listening,
Roberto.

I've never heard Mpingos, but I remember an article in Stereophile (I think it was written by Jonathan Skull in the early '90s or late 80's) in which he auditioned a pair of Gryphon super-amps (@$20,000). He found the amps basically un-listenable until he configured some Mpingos on the chassis of the amps, at which time they blossomed.

That review really made me wonder. Uber-priced amps that are unlistenable until some wooden discs are placed in a certain configuration on the chassis? I could understand maybe a slight improvement, but to go from one end of the spectrum to the other? That 5oz of wood on the top of an amp that had been engineered to produce the very best could take it from trash to treasure? That review did me in for audio magazines and audio reviewers as well. If solid engineering could only be made useful with some magic wooden spell, how can the average stereo lover ever get it right? I am convinced that the state of audio reviewing is suffering from a serious lack of quality (and getting worse), and a glut of BS. I really only trust the comments and opinions of fellow music lovers such as yourselves.

The fact that Mpingo is still around 15 years later, and that some of you find them effective makes me think that I should give them a try sometime. It's nice to question your own biases every now and then. Thanks.