Any headphone users?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using my headphones lately with my iPad up in the bedroom. Powering a set of Sennheiser HD580's with an older Musical Fidelity X-Can tubed headphone amp and dedicated X package power supply. Thinking about getting one of the HRT iStreamer DAC's to use with it.

I sport a pair of Senn PX100 with mp3 player when jogging (great little lightweight phones!)... and during the very occasional in-flight movie. Otherwise, while I have a pair of Senn HD600 floating around here somewhere, I rarely use them - never really any need to. Gimme my MLs!

I probably spend more time in my office where my 'Head-Fi' system is. I mainly use Sennheiser HD650's hooked up to a Matrix mini-i DAC/Amp. (Optical out from a Mac Mini). I'm probably going to add a Schiit Lyr tube amp and maybe a pair of Audeze LCD-2's later on. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II's and v-moda Crossfade M-80's for the iPod.
For commuting, I use a pair either my Etymotic HF3's or B&W C5's with an iPhone4.
When the wife is out.. its ML all the way! (what a waste with my system AV system being tied up with Say Yes to the Dress and Cake Boss.. may have to move the TV to the basement)

I use the Sennheiser HD650 at home at night. I think they sound great. When I travel I use the B&W P5.

Good stuff Mick, I gotta check out the planar headphones !!

Beek.. If you get a chance to listen to the Audeze's with a good tube amp, it will blow your mind. Heard the LCD2 / Schiit Lyr combo at a head-Fi met this summer and it blew me away.
Heard good things about the X-can.. take a look at the Lyr, 6 watts, 40v P-P, will drive almost any headphone (except maybe Stax) and it's relatively cheap.

Etymotic ER4's for my iDevices. Use it for travel as well, as they provide excellent noise isolation.

At home, rarely use headphones, when I do, its an old AKG-240 set. Does the job when needed.

Would love to get some Stax or other planars, but given how little I use, ROI is not great.

Would love to get some Stax or other planars, but given how little I use, ROI is not great.

My thoughts exactly. Stax are great though. The only headphones I've actually enjoyed. Even the HD800 sounded coloured and just plain awful.

So I did in fact go out and purchase one of the HRT iStreamer DAC's to feed my headphone amp and what a difference it makes! I was just plugging a mini jack to RCA stereo adapter into the headphone jack of the iPad and running that to the headphone amp. The iSteamer plugs into the digital output of the iPad and does all the D to A conversion in the sleek little package you see here. Much better extension on both ends and an amazing clarity that simply wasn't there in the other setup. If you're running an iDevice as your source for a headphone setup I highly recommend the HRT iStreamer. Less than $200 bucks and I had it in 2 days from Music Direct.

Attachments

• DSC00590.jpg
    DSC00590.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC00587.jpg
    DSC00587.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC00588.jpg
    DSC00588.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 160
OK... so this headphone thread got my rusty, in-need-of-lube, cranial cogs to ka-chunk forward at least one sprocket and I realized my faithful portable Senns had gone missing. So I ordered a pair of these which were delivered yesterday... broke them out today around the yard (via iPhone 4 + Pandora) as I was retracting halloween props and replacing them with an xmas light fantasia that would make Jack Skellington's bones ache (not really, but I did dress up a few trees and a fence)... anywho, these things are brilliant (for portables) for the money. Great bass, sincere mids, and plenty of highs for these ~50 yr old eardrums. And I love the comfort level. I'm not much for headphones as stated earlier, but I was a bad-ass dad-ass in the yard today - soakin' in the low-angled sunshine to Nat, Frank, Bing, and that whole era that I never actually lived in. Wonderful time!

Attachments

• Today-Prices-Sennheiser-PX-100II-On-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black_31WBwahIOPL__456_426.jpg
    Today-Prices-Sennheiser-PX-100II-On-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black_31WBwahIOPL__456_426.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 143
Headphones

Ok you made Me look :rolleyes:
I have a Sansa clip+ 16m with a 32m card installed with my personal goodies ripped at 320kb with Senn & Sony
phones (dont ask which) that I use while traveling. i think its fantastic to be able to listen to your greatest hits while on the road, I tweak the EQ a bit where I feel the phones can use a touch :music:

Latest posts

Back