Any headphone users?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... ... anywho, these things are brilliant (for portables) for the money. Great bass, sincere mids, and plenty of highs for these ~50 yr old eardrums. And I love the comfort level. I'm not much for headphones as stated earlier, but I was a bad-ass dad-ass in the yard today - soakin' in the low-angled sunshine to Nat, Frank, Bing, and that whole era that I never actually lived in. Wonderful time!

I have to agree with tsv_1, my Sennheiser PX100's are great for the money!
DSC04513-M.jpg

With Carrie in school, and in need of some peace and quiet, we took a trip down to the Headphone Bar in Vancouver to demo some headphones. After an hour or so, I purchased a pair of the Audeze LCD-2 in Bamboo. I tried the grado, which were bright to me. HiFIMan HE560's were nice, but to my ears, the LCD-2's best held my attention. One of the benefits to having an ESL setup in your living room is that headphones are a breeze to drive. The A-S2000 is reported to have a good headphone stage, but I had never tried it out. I'll say that it certainly has a lot of Jam, and it is much more capable than the headphone amps that I heard in store. It also has four gain settings (-6db, 0db, +6db, +12db) that make it very flexible. When we arrived home last night, I was very happy to discover that with my front end equipment, the LCD-2's produce some very full bodied, organic sound. This morning, I'm listening to some vinyl. So far, so good (Very good, these'll do nicely :)

Last edited:
I listen to Stax 009. Utterly sublime (and similar character to Spires also appeals).
My speakers are in a shared space so I do use the Stax regularly. They are a different experience to the MLs,
More intimate even more revealing even less tiring but I prefer the ole Speaker soundstage and physical sensation of low end overall. But for intensely enjoyable listen when your partner seeks silence they are fantastic!

Doug,

Have you spent anytime with any of the other Stax? I am considering a pair and was thinking about a lesser pair............the 407"S

Thanx

Doug,

Have you spent anytime with any of the other Stax? I am considering a pair and was thinking about a lesser pair............the 407"S

Thanx
Hi there! Yes I had SR5s. I think that's the number back in the 70's and loved them. I eventually sold them as a friend was very keen to buy them and I wasn't doing much h'phone listening at that time. Much later I bought second hand 404s and when the 407/507 series became available I thought I'd have a listen ... 007 mark11 and 009 s were also available that day. My dealer warned me before trying the 009s it was financially perilous....... I took the plunge, it was perilous but I am very happy with them!
The 407s are slightly more focussed than the older 404 but you can probably pick up the latter second hand in which case they are likely to be great value for money. They certainly have the Stax sound ... Open, detailed, huge soundstage engaging, and tuneful (if not the most dynamic) bass. Their similarity to the MLs is a definite bonus too...easy switching from one to the other and if you like ML Stat sound you should enjoy the Stax for sure.
Hope this helps.... Check them out!! (But never listen to the 009s unless you've saved up!)
Bruce

So, three months in, I find myself spending a lot more time listening to the Audezes than to my full system. I suppose it's just the convenience of them, and the SQ ofcourse. I have trouble determining the soundstage and all that, but I think that is due to the fact that I'm very much aware that I'm wearing a huge pair headphones, which I can feel over my ears. Using the Samsung Tab4 with Spotify has been wonderful. The whole experience continues to be very satisfying and personal.

Used to have Sennheiser HD650 and Sony MDR5000 headphones, both were great. I had them connected to a Headamp GS-1 class A amp. Then I also had them through the headphone unit of the Cary SLP-05.

I might repurchase some phones for my bedroom.

Hey Julian

Which Audeze do you have? Did you hear about the huge theft? Some group came in and wiped the inventory??

So, three months in, I find myself spending a lot more time listening to the Audezes than to my full system. I suppose it's just the convenience of them, and the SQ ofcourse. I have trouble determining the soundstage and all that, but I think that is due to the fact that I'm very much aware that I'm wearing a huge pair headphones, which I can feel over my ears. Using the Samsung Tab4 with Spotify has been wonderful. The whole experience continues to be very satisfying and personal.

I sympathize with the size thing my pet peve is when you lay down on a pillow and the phones push foward

Check out the Ultrasone iQ in-ear phones. These are so small and fit into the ear so well, I can lie on my back or even my side with my head on the cushion.

Back