New Vista or used vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New vistas used Vantages or stick with the Purities?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hi-Fidelity

Reaction score
Hello to the ML Forum. I've been reading several posts daily and have learned a lot in the short time of being a member. Thanks.

I originally was looking at the Purities seeing they were in my price range, then I stumbled across a pair of new Vista's for slightly more. Due to their wider soundstage and reading other posts, this seems to be the way to go.

Then I checked out Audiogon and found year and a half old Vantages for the same price as the new Vistas.
I know the Vistas are solid, but several more posts promote the Vantages.

My room is 25' X 12' X 8' and I'd be using a Marantz SR-7005 and a 15" paradigm sub. I don't have an amp yet, so would that push me toward the Vantages?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am the first to vote here for new vista's

My decision is based on price because you can snag new vistas for $2400 shipped and you wont have to panic about internal amps blowing or costly repairs like you would with vantage . Amazon did shift a few pairs of Vantage a couple of weeks ago for $1619 per speaker and they sold out in 3 days .The vistas have the 40 inch panel so go for em

Agree - new Vistas. They are almost as good as the Vantage, they have the same panel, and you won't have to worry about how they've been treated.

heard them both...I don't think you could go wrong with either depending on the used Vantages and if they were taken care of, etc...

I opted for the used Vantages because I got to hear them and they were at a very good price...the owner and I checked for and replaced the cracked braces/brackets before I purchased them and I am very happy with them...there are a couple forum links here about the cracks that can happen with the panel brackets primarily due to overtightening from the factory...

but I agree with the above that with new at least you know where they came from and won't have to worry about any problems (like brackets for starters)...

You should be OK with the SR7005. It does state that it runs @ 125wpc, all channels driven. Give it a try and you may or may not need an external amp. With ML's, I look for an amp that doubles into 4 ohms. Very few AVR's do.
+1 on the Vista's for the comments above. Get new and no worries. I'm also a Vista owner and can't be happier.

Amp question.

MickeyVee, great point. What amp do you use?

I am leaning toward the dedicated amp route. I auditioned the Theos @ BB on the Marantz 7005 alone and the sound was flat The speakers were demanding more power. Only problem is I also want to hook up my gadgets- apple tv, iPad as a controller, iPhone, Sonos, etc... Anyone use separate amps AND tap into AirPlay and the like? What combo works best?

Thanks for everyone's feedback...

You may find great taken care off used Vantage right here like I did.
That was and that would still be my choice.

Actually, running a Rotel 1560 AVR. it's one of the few AVR's that quite double the power at 4 ohms. Went the external amp route for a while, Parasound A23 and Rotel 1572 but found that it did not really improve things so sold them. The Rotel AVR drives my Vista's quite nicely. Down the road, I'll probably get a McIntosh integrated for 2 channel listening or may go the Arcam AVR600 route. But for now, the Rotel impresses.
I actually have a bunch of stuff hooked up to the AVR.. DAC, PS3, Oppo, Apple TV2, HiDef cable box, Wii.. no shortage of inputs (or toys) or ways to play music directly or stream it..

MickeyVee, great point. What amp do you use?

Latest posts

Back