Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope!! I use Kingsley Scott (Scott Audio). He used to work with his dad running Acoustic Arts in Watford.

He is a superb guy, really knows his stuff. He is also very honest - if it doesn't sound better he will tell you not to waste any money (even though he would lose the sale).

I have worked with him for many years, probably nearly 20 so trust him implicitly.

If you ever need any advice etc let me know and I would be happy to supply his details.

M.

Hm - in my youth I used to hang around in KJ Leisure Sound in Watford - gawping at stuff I could only dream of.

Will send you a PM later. Got some things worth saying. Secret messages:D:)

FWIW, I went from Summit's to CLXs like others have stated, but I went with 4 of them in a 5.1 surround system with Stage center and JL Gotham for sub.

I now have braim dammagge, or maybe that was before I switched.....either way, the CLXs blow my mind every time I listen to them, can't say that about any other speaker I have listened too over the last 40 some years......the CLXs never cease to amaze me.......

Anyway, go for the CLXs, unless you care that people might call you crazy, Justin notwithstanding......:D

My wife classified me as crazy many years ago with respect to my Hifi habits 😄.

Been reading up some more and I think my valve amp would also work superbly with them.

Out of interest did you compare anniversary edition with standard ones?

Also are you using expensive cables for your subwoofer connections?

Thanks
M.

Anyway, go for the CLXs, unless you care that people might call you crazy, Justin notwithstanding......:D

I've been very nice with Marc, Joe. He's allowed both the CLX and a better Ferrari than yours - or even the same one - but with an interstellar spec:)

I am using a balanced cable. Not to expensive because it is running under my house from the back of my listening area to the front wall.

Last edited:
Demo now confirmed for 25th November. I will only have a single Descent I sub to try, however I expect to identify if it is needed or not. Having two will be more of the same. Roll on two weeks...!!

Demo now confirmed for 25th November. I will only have a single Descent I sub to try, however I expect to identify if it is needed or not. Having two will be more of the same. Roll on two weeks...!!

bring some wide-ranging organ music... you should be able to identify need pretty quickly.

If they suck, don't forget emergency back-up plan B. Which won't suck. But then - everything sucks. Just some things more than others. If you catch my ridiculous drift...:)

In addition to the organ recordings as suggested by Todd, try some well recorded acoustic bass / piano.

My sense is that the bottom octave, say up to 30 hertz or so, will provide a much more solid foundation to many types of music. Classical and jazz to name two genres.

There really aren't many recordings that have much information below that and those that have, how many are actually worth listening to on a repeated basis? Or, to put another way, should it be a viable factor in the buying decision?

All right, bring on the deep bass freaks. ;)

GG

Totally agree with Gordon, the bottom octave is the least of my concerns, with todays great subs and room eq software available even a dummie like me can take care of that issue !

In addition to the organ recordings as suggested by Todd, try some well recorded acoustic bass / piano.

My sense is that the bottom octave, say up to 30 hertz or so, will provide a much more solid foundation to many types of music. Classical and jazz to name two genres.

There really aren't many recordings that have much information below that and those that have, how many are actually worth listening to on a repeated basis? Or, to put another way, should it be a viable factor in the buying decision?

GG

Call me a 'troubled freak'.... I have a problem paying that kind of money and just letting go of the bottom octave. maybe i would be swayed by hearing them ...(no places around have CLXs). i think I have my descent crossover @ 30Hz w/my odysseys... I prefer to have the subs disappear so there is no boom etc.... but the slight low end just seems to add to the foundation of the mids etc... So if my xover is at 30Hz and there is no information there in most cases... why do it make a sound? :) i believe you when you say not many recordings have the info down that low... but to my point above.... what's up with that?

timm, I think it's wrong to say there's not much information at 30Hz. With most music I listen to, I can hear a certain 'richness' and 'bloom' when my sub woofer is switched in. When the sub is switched out, the music just seems leaner and less musical. I reckon the sub is reproducing low frequency harmonics even though the fundamentals aren't that low. Even a hand clap must contain some low frequency information...

I will be trying a range of music, from vocals, jazz, souls and a couple more up tempo.

Not 100% decided yet, but maybe something like Yello. It is not something I listen to regularly, however if I am paying this kind of money I want them to at least be able to play everything!!

M.

You rang? :cool:

Like Marck, I want to be able to play everything - from soul to synth to Saint Saëns - and @ realistic levels. Frequencies below 30Hz aren't the only woofer challenge, Gordon. As an example, after hearing it at RMAF, I picked up James Horner's terrific score for Casper. At nominal 80-85dB, it's replete with huge tympani crescendos which hit near 100dB, and reproducing these 50Hz fundamentals with low distortion, at that level, is well beyond the capabilities of my Summits. I strongly suspect that a pair of CLX's, alone, will be similarly limited.

Now, that's just bass freak me and if one listens at lower volumes, life gets a lot easier.

I bought one of the first if not the first set of CLXs produced, so I did not get to hear them first.

I have medium expense cables connecting every thing.

I should update my avatar to the 458:D

As to the Art versus the linear, it is important to note that the frame is different but no differences in sound. it is also important to note that you may be confused with the price of the initial Art frame with the aniline dye treatement(that was the expensive process) that retailed for $30K. We did have some cost increases over the last 3 years that have impacted the retail but we did incorporate upgrades in the power cable and binding posts as those where the most popular option at what became the new retails. The Linear is still available at the same cost as the current Art frame.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the clarification.

I have a pair of anniversaries that I will hopefully be going for. In terms of upgrades that the Art has only the binding posts would have been applicable for me. I have Transparent Audio Reference power cables which I will be using.

Out of interest do you recommend the use of (dual) subs with the CLX's?

I assume there are no further changes planned for the CLX's (and the Descent I's) in the short term?

Thank you
Marc.

Latest posts

Back