Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes he is excellent. He is also going to try and bring along a Descent I!!

So the demo is going to be in my room at home.

Discs will be selected from:

Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Rosa Passos, Sara K, Keb Mo, Sony Holland, Stacey Kent, Alison Krauss, Chantal Chamberlain, Dianne Reeves, Eric Bibb, Laura Marling, Natalie Merchant.

I will scale this down prior to demo but gives you some idea

M.

That's a nice list. I have most of those artists and they sound good with and without subs on the CLX's. As a matter of fact looking at your post prompted me to put on Keb Mo's "The Reflection". If you have something with a little more bass (something like Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool") be sure to add it to the mix. Also Todd is right about the "casket" sized boxes.

Who is the dealer, Marck?

That list - you'll love the CLX to bits. You are a pre-made customer.:) Whilst I have heard quite a few of those, I only regularly give Keb Mo a play. As GaryG says - make sure you have some bass content for the Descent I.

Also - take something you know sounds awful - to get the CLX take on it. That'll be interesting.

Good points. I have several Patricia Barber discs too. I have a fair few discs that I don't like to listen to due to poor recording. The Eagles, Hotel California will be interesting to try!!

Silly question, I assume the subwoofer connects balanced to the speaker? Looking at the diagrams I can't see the balanced output on the back of the CLX. Just that I will be using some existing cables to experiment.

Thanks
M.

Oh btw, Justin if you happen to know anyone interested in my as new Summit X's please let me know!!

Thanks
M.

Good points. I have several Patricia Barber discs too. I have a fair few discs that I don't like to listen to due to poor recording. The Eagles, Hotel California will be interesting to try!!

Silly question, I assume the subwoofer connects balanced to the speaker? Looking at the diagrams I can't see the balanced output on the back of the CLX. Just that I will be using some existing cables to experiment.

Thanks
M.

There's no "output" from the CLX to drive the sub. The subwoofer accommodates several inputs... this from ML's site:

Comprehensive Inputs and Outputs with Simultaneous-Connection Option

Descent i provides a direct, unfiltered LFE input (RCA and balanced XLR) for connection to surround preamp/processors and receivers with built-in subwoofer crossovers as well as line- and speaker-level stereo inputs that connect to its internal crossover. The LFE and stereo inputs can be connected simultaneously with separate level and crossover settings for each, enabling precise optimization for home-theater and stereo music playback in the same system. For those who desire a multiple subwoofer setup, line-level outputs include a mono jack that carries the sum of all inputs. Further, stereo outputs pass a signal from the stereo inputs either directly or through switch-selectable high-pass filters.

I hope the Rosa Passos disk is the one with Ron Carter, on Chesky. Those Cheskies do a fine job of recording with their minimalist mike recordings.

One disk you really need to get is "Latin Touch" by Laura Fygi on XRCD; it's an amazing recording. I'll bet it would sound incredible on the CLX's.

Hi,

So just connect sub balanced directly to my preamp. Shame will need to get longer cables - my Transparent Audio balanced interconnects are only 1.5m in length.

The Rosa cd I have is Rosa. Excellent cd!

M.

Marck,

If the dealer is bringing you brand new CLXes, they will not sound anywhere near where they will when they break in. My speakers were bright to the point of harshness out of the box and they actually got worse before they got better. At about 200 hours, they improve dramatically. You may want to consider this for your demo.

Sorry for the negative vibe, but this is important to know.

Good point on the break-in... perhaps the dealer's pair already has a number of hours. Worth asking.

Also, it's not necessarily a given that new CLX's sound subpar. Mine sounded amazing literally fresh out of the box. True, they've improved over time... but still jaw-dropping when I first fired them up. I didn't suffer the brightness issue. (something my wife reminds me of daily ;) )

The Rosa cd I have is Rosa. Excellent cd!

M.
Agreed. It IS an excellent CD. I have all of her stuff, including some very rare CD's that are usually extremely expensive on the used market. It took a lot of patience and waiting to find them cheap.

So the pair they will bring over will be their demo pair which would have had many hours on them.

M.

So the pair they will bring over will be their demo pair which would have had many hours on them.

M.

You are one lucky dude Mark. You'll fall in love with the demo pair, I guarantee that. Let's put it this way - if I became a billionaire tomorrow and wanted to own the very finest hifi equipment in the world regardless of cost, I would purchase a pair of CLX's. I don't care what the doubters say. It doesn't/can't get any better than the CLX! FACT!!

Unfortunately not even a millionaire! Just need to pay for them over next couple of years. Sounds like it will definitely be worth it though 😄

M.

Demo scheduled for three weeks time. M.

I have made the move from Summits to CLX and never looked back. The imaging, treatment of voice, and overall balance is ideal. I have mated them with Descent-i's (you need these) and entered audio Nirvana. You might consider SS amps. I have heard them with ARCs and there is not enough guts to make these babies sing for their supper

Per Martin Logan website you can still order the CLX in metal frame, ART design is standard but not the only one. Personally, I preferred the metal look over the Art. I am minimalist.

I wish you guys would stop with the CLX fanboy stuff, at this rate I'm going to have to go surround & put the Summit X's in the rear. Hmmmm........

Oh btw, Justin if you happen to know anyone interested in my as new Summit X's please let me know!!

Thanks
M.

OK will do. I would try and get a good part-ex deal if possible and weigh up with the likely ebay return.

Is the dealer a secret?:)

Last edited:
Back