Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume there are no planned updates to the CLX in the bear future?

M.
There are a couple of new/improved subs coming that could work well with the CLX's.

Also, about a year ago there was at least a modicum of interest within certain circles at ML in making a new version of the "Statement". Hmmm, would be interesting but probably did not move ahead.

There are a couple of new/improved subs coming that could work well with the CLX's.

Also, about a year ago there was at least a modicum of interest within certain circles at ML in making a new version of the "Statement". Hmmm, would be interesting but probably did not move ahead.

Interesting, are they likely to replace the Descent I?

M.

I really liked my old Summits. I really like my new Theos. I also own or have owned and enjoyed a lot of outstanding speakers including the mighty Klipshorn, Belle Klipsch, Dali Helicon 800, ATC SCM 50asl and I have extensively auditioned Maggies (3.6 & 20.1) and many other stunning speaker designs. But none of these speakers can hold a candle to the CLX - although the Klipschorns and the MG20.1 are excellent speakers in their own right. The CLXs are one of the best loudspeakers in the world because they don't sound like loudspeakers. Sure, you can buy speakers that go louder, or deeper, but I just cannot imagine any box speaker coming close to what the CLX can do...

P.S. marck, you don't really need a sub. The CLX will deliver 99% of the music to your ears without the coloration (sorry Summit owners!) in the bass that the Summit delivers. If you feel the need to 'feel' the bass, you could consider adding a REL or ML at a later stage.

Last edited:
So I have put a call into my dealer to audition the CLX's - it looks I will have a couple of weeks to wait though.

With regard to subwoofer I will try without first. I do have a Descent (used in my home cinema system) that I could use to evaluate if I need the extra bass response. Also if a new sub is due out I would rather wait for that if I decided I needed one! I assume there are no release dates as of yet?

I am intrigued to hear how the panels work in my room and how they compare with my Summit X's.

I will keep you all informed.

Thanks for all your input
M.

I HATE these threads :) I think my room (11X23) would not bring the most out of the CLX. Then I read about Roberto and Necro having them in about the same size room as I and my mind goes blank! Perhaps I should just buy them and have them for the next house and enjoy them and disregard the limitations of my room for now. Who knows?!

Gordon

I haven't owned CLX, but I have owned summit and summit x. I have spent plenty of time demoing the CLX and it is really spectacular - very transparent, great imaging, huge stage. For me, they're subwoofers away from a perfect combo.

I HATE these threads :) I think my room (11X23) would not bring the most out of the CLX. Then I read about Roberto and Necro having them in about the same size room as I and my mind goes blank! Perhaps I should just buy them and have them for the next house and enjoy them and disregard the limitations of my room for now. Who knows?!

Gordon

Hi Gordon... the minimal side lobe response of the CLX seems to allow for positioning relatively close to side walls. So, even though it looks cramped, I think the sound stage is anything but. Cheers.

So I have put a call into my dealer to audition the CLX's - it looks I will have a couple of weeks to wait though.

With regard to subwoofer I will try without first. I do have a Descent (used in my home cinema system) that I could use to evaluate if I need the extra bass response. Also if a new sub is due out I would rather wait for that if I decided I needed one! I assume there are no release dates as of yet?

I am intrigued to hear how the panels work in my room and how they compare with my Summit X's.

I will keep you all informed.

Thanks for all your input
M.

Look forward to your impressions

Gordon

Hey Amigo,

Move the TV upstairs and use that wonderful basement for your dedicated audio room.

Just a thought.

GG

Gordon

Sorry Gordon!! I hope I haven't started you on the slippery slope...

M.

I may have an opportunity on the Anniversary edition however I may need to move fairly quickly!

I understand that sonically they are better than the standard CLX and Art edition due to the rigidity of the aluminium frame.

Could anyone confirm this.

Thank you
Marc.

I may have an opportunity on the Anniversary edition however I may need to move fairly quickly!

I understand that sonically they are better than the standard CLX and Art edition due to the rigidity of the aluminium frame.

Thank you
Marc.

Can't confirm from personal experience ... but it's certainly a common belief that driver/speaker rigidity is an important element wrt solid imaging and extended LF response. Having said that, I've never owned a speaker that images as well as the CLX Art. Aluminum (or aluminium for that matter) is not my aesthetic bag, but if you like the pair you have a bead on, and they are in-budget, I can't imagine you'd be anything less than thrilled with them... though many things happen every day that I can't imagine.

Cheers

Have got first refusal on them. Just need to demo them first before pulling the trigger!!

I thought this might be the case, and when I suggested it a few years ago, I was told by someone who had auditioned both that they were EXACTLY the same. He actually went for the wooden type (non-Art).

They won't actually be the same. There will be a difference in the frame that means it will react differently to vibration. Whether you can hear it - that's a different matter.

Personally I'd consider a pair of these. But then I would. Sameish money, massively rigid, handmade, rare, genuine bass extension sans sub, excellent slam, easier on your amps. And a 12 Watt tube amp should manage over 100DB.

In other words - killer!:)

attachment.php

or

file.php

Last edited:
You know that feeling when you chew on aluminium foil? If you could translate that feeling into sound (say with just the right synesthesia inducing hallucinogen)... that's what these freakishly unholy metal ribbon abominations would (and do) sound like ;)

Justin,

What are those things on the floor in front of the Aps?

Very attractive.

GG

Sorry Gordon!! I hope I haven't started you on the slippery slope...

M.

Marck, I've been on the slope for several months:) FOrtunately or not, recent hurricanes and terrible weather has forced me to put my savings into my cave (house). For some reason my wife does not like it raining in the bedroom!! I thought a $20 blue tarp over the roof gave the place a somewhat eclectic look. I was wrong:(

The CLX is in my near future. Darn you all!!

Gordon

Latest posts

Back