Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,

I don't like the sound of box speakers either.

The ideal transducer disappears leaving only the music.

I've heard other speakers that can do this as well as the ML's.

GG

Bernard... with the CLX, the female singer's tongue moves in MY mouth. ;)
In this case, the singer, a Brazilian named Virginia Rodrigues (who has an amazing voice), is about 300 lbs. :p

I strongly suggest that you buy her CD called "Nos", and listen to track 3.

Dan,

I've heard other speakers that can do this as well as the ML's.

GG

Gordon,
I know for sure that no Quad Electrostat can match the CLX for transparency. Just out of curiousity, what speakers have you heard that can equal the CLX? It would be interesting to know.

Unsure about that - but standard practise with yours is the shower!

Since when did the site become XXX rated???:D

Goodness Gracious... what have you been reading into these posts? There has certainly been no insinuation of anything other than proper care and maintanance. ;)

Dan,

Here are five that come to mind. Have heard all of these at RMAF at two different shows (2009 and 2011) and, in the case of the YG Anat, also at GTT Audio last December.

Given the enormous price difference between these models and the CLX, it further underscores the incredible value of the CLX from a performance / cost perspective. Please note that all of these are "full range" and don't need a sub(s) to augment the low end. But even with a couple of subs, the price difference is still extreme.

1) YG Acoustics Anat Pro.

2) YG Acoustics Kipod Sinature II.

3) MBL 101E.

4) Focal Grand Utopia EM.

5) Focal Stella Utopia EM.

To optimize performance, the usual caveats apply to these and the CLX's. Proper set up and proper equipment.

Gordon

PS: To repeat a previous post, I interpret the word transparency to mean that the speaker gets totally out of the way and allows one to become emotionally connected with the music on all levels.

Last edited:
Dan,

Here are five that come to mind. Have heard all of these at RMAF at two different shows (2009 and 2011) and, in the case of the YG Anat, also at GTT Audio last December.

Given the enormous price difference between these models and the CLX, it further underscores the incredible value of the CLX from a performance / cost perspective. Please note that all of these are "full range" and don't need a sub(s) to augment the low end. But even with a couple of subs, the price difference is still extreme.

1) YG Acoustics Anat Pro.

2) YG Acoustics Kipod Sinature II.

3) MBL 101E.

4) Focal Grand Utopia EM.

5) Focal Stella Utopia EM.

To optimize performance, the usual caveats apply to these and the CLX's. Proper set up and proper equipment.

Gordon

PS: To repeat a previous post, I interpret the word transparency to mean that the speaker gets totally out of the way and allows one to become emotionally connected with the music on all levels.

Gordon,
I've heard 3 of the speakers in your above list and I'll be honest with you when I say that I could sometimes hear that slight boxiness (box coloration) I was previously referring to when I listened to each of them. This drawback is not at all evident with CLX. Fair enough they do everything else well especially bass, I admit that the CLX bass isn't exceptional but that's where a good subwoofer comes into the equation and that's more than good enough for me. It's a fair drawback to trade for 'Zero Box Coloration'

Dan,

GG

Full range stats bi-amped with a pair of subs is the Only way to go.
I am so biased I dont even bother to listen to boxes any more esp. if it uses over the top woods & construction still its a driver in a box
too much labor & work for too little payback.

Just ma opinion

Be interesting if ML considered using a open baffle woofer with their hybreds for intergration.............

Last edited:
Too me the advantage of the CLX over other ML models is that electrostatic panels cover range from 56hz and up in CLX compared to 270 hz and up in other models...

If your room is large enough to work with CLX, I feel it is better than the Summit X. Sadly for me, my room not big enough for CLX and I do not have budget for the CLX ((((( The CLX is my dream speaker if room was large enough )))))

I have owned many electrostatics over the years ( Acoustats, Martin Logan and Quad ) and to me electrostatics are very special ))))))

Dan

I am lucky re room size. My room is around 25ft by 18ft.

I assume there are no planned updates to the CLX in the bear future?

M.

Dan and Bill,

Appreciate your input. As you both know, once one gets to a certain level, it becomes extremely subjective.

Having owned various ML's for some 20 years plus, I'm well aware of the outstanding value and virtues that stats bring to the table.

I typically react negatively to generalizations (in all things in life) because there is always something that doesn't fit the prescribed mold.

What matters most to me is that the individual is happy with his or her choice. That's the challenge and magic of our hobby.

Best,

Gordon

Dan and Bill,

Appreciate your input. As you both know, once one gets to a certain level, it becomes extremely subjective.

Having owned various ML's for some 20 years plus, I'm well aware of the outstanding value and virtues that stats bring to the table.

I typically react negatively to generalizations (in all things in life) because there is always something that doesn't fit the prescribed mold.

What matters most to me is that the individual is happy with his or her choice. That's the challenge and magic of our hobby.

Best,

Gordon

Your absolutely right, at the end of the day everybody has their own personal preference when it comes to loudspeakers. When it comes down to it You're either a ''Box Man'' or a ''Stat Man''. I'm definitely the latter for life - Once You Have Stat You Don't Go Back! Realistically I reckon that if you ARE a Stat Man then the only other option to Martin Logan would have to be Soundlab Electrostats, and that's it.

Gordon
You have a great outlook on things clearly makes sense.
I was just speaking in general not to change any opinions :eek: ;)

I assume there are no planned updates to the CLX in the bear future?

M.

None that I've heard of... and I think we would at least have heard whispers or rumors as ML is rolling out a number of next-gen models. That said, lightning (in the form of a new model) can strike any time :)

Dan,

I think hybrid designs, like MBL and others, are a clear alternative to those that may seek a different path to sonic bliss.

The tweeter, mid-range pods in the MBL's cover everything above 3K hertz in the 111, 116, and 121 models.

I agree Soundlabs is a great stat but they are so flippin big.

Gordon

Last edited:
Back