Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are settling in very nice!! In fact on Monday I am having my 2 Descent I subs installed. Should be rather interesting.

So far I am loving them. They are very different to my Summits. Having a full range panel really makes a big difference. I have also started to notice a difference as they are breaking in, they are becoming more open and airy. I estimate they have completed around 125 hours. What do people estimate for full break in?

From Monday I will also need to run the subs in. I assume they don't take quite as long? I will also ave new cables - Transparent Ultra RCA and using the Reference power cable with the subs. Btw I also use the same power cables on my speakers - a very nice upgrade. One day I may try the PowerLink on them out of curiosity.

I have placed some heavy porcelain tiles on the cabinets. Are there any other tweaks or recommendations? I have included a current photo.

Many thanks
M.

4d2b5e35-cbb2-71f9.jpg

Last edited:
You might try pulling your CLXs off the wall just a little more. You may be surprised at the sound as they move out in to the room. The tiles idea is good one, I also put iso-pucks under the tiles so that they do not reverberate, rattle or move. Nice setup, you are well on your way to chasing the dragon:)

Oh and BTW, I went from Vistas, to Summits to CLXs, not by two but by fours.

I am grateful for two, four is just greedy 😄!!

Out of interest did you try a single sub prior to going for dual? I have been using a single sub but ordered dual anyway. Should be significantly better!!

As I say to the Mrs, 'No need to upgrade am very happy with performance' and then something new comes along and that just goes out of the window. I think she has given up listening to me when I say that!!

M.

M.

You might try pulling your CLXs off the wall just a little more. You may be surprised at the sound as they move out in to the room. The tiles idea is good one, I also put iso-pucks under the tiles so that they do not reverberate, rattle or move. Nice setup, you are well on your way to chasing the dragon:)

Oh and BTW, I went from Vistas, to Summits to CLXs, not by two but by fours.

Hi JM,

Your last line leaves me somewhat speechless :D but does raise an interesting question.

If your system is set up for audio only (5.1 surround I assume), why don't you buy another CLX for the center channel?

GG

Hi JM,

Your last line leaves me somewhat speechless :D but does raise an interesting question.

If your system is set up for audio only (5.1 surround I assume), why don't you buy another CLX for the center channel?

GG
Gordon, I too wondered why he was doing things half-assed.

Be something to hang the tele on if nothing else..

I think he is skimping, I mean only 4 and no proper center speaker!!
But would he buy a left CLX or a right CLX for the centre? I think he needs another pair for the centre.

BTW Marc, you mis-spelled "centre" (you ARE a Brit, are you not?) :)

I think in another thread on CLX's he and JonFo talked about splitting a pair for their centers.

Hi JM,

GG

I think in another thread on CLX's he and JonFo talked about splitting a pair for their centers.

Yes, Brad is correct, JonFo and I have discussed splitting a pair of used CLXs but that hasn't happened yet. I have been using a Stage for the center speaker for 2 years and since I have 3 stages spread thru 3 HT surround systems, I did try to stack the 3 stages in the middle based on some threads that have floated around on multiple center speakers, but I really couldn't hear or maybe feel is the better term, much of a difference, at least not enough to warrant buying 2 more Stages to put back in my other two HT surround systems. So I moved them back after a month of auditions and haven't looked back. I also did some experimenting with multiple Descent Is with CLX filters installed. But to be honest when I found the sweet spot for the JL Audio Gotham, I believe it tightened the bass up even more and it handled the super low bass from the DSOTM and WYWH in HiRes 5.1 with ease. The Descent's did not give the same presentation as the Gotham. I briefly considered getting a second Gotham but after a few listening sesssions with people who's listening ability I respect, we all decided it was not worth it. I have the ML Stage set at exactly my ear height via a custom stand, when I am seated in the LOVE seat, and at that seating postion stacking multiple Stages did not seem to make any difference, at least in the LOVE seat:)

The CLX configuration is not new, I have been listening to 4 CLXs + Stage for 2 years and the thing I have noticed the most is that my upgrade-itis has slowed significantly, now I listen to music and don't even think about changing the system for lack of whatever caused the upgrade-itis in the first place. But that is probably just me, I have been pursuing the multi-channel dragon since 1970 with my very first Dynaco SCA80Q Quad Amplifier with STR Piezo Electrics and when I got to the CLXs a couple years ago, I seem to have caught the dragon. The only thing I have added in the last two years is a modded OPPO 95 for Bluray music discs. I can honestly say I don't miss chasing the Dragon. If that doesn't say something about how good the CLXs are, at least for me, then nothing does.

Oh, and Bernard, as usually you are not helping, obviously a pair for the center is overkill, even JonFo thought as much:):)

Last edited:
Oh, and Bernard, as usually you are not helping, obviously a pair for the center is overkill, even JonFo thought as much:):)
Joe, unlike my friend the pastor (who lives to comfort the afflicted) I live to afflict the comfortable. :):)

Update:-

The Descent I's have now been installed and are running in. Just need to get some hours on them.

However with first impressions, very significant difference between what I was listening to previously. I think it is a combination between dual subs and using RCA cables so that the CLX filter is used (instead of running to the LFE channel).

The bass is much better defined, more focused and controlled, deeper, fuller and so well integrated with the CLX's.

I can only imagine how they will sound with some hours on them.

Cheers all
M.

Congrats, Marc. I'd wager that system is sounding astonishing, especially with the quality of the electronics. Enjoy.

Pretty much in the corners. I only had a certain amount to play with but they did sounds best there.

i also tried moving the speakers further out but to be honest they sounded better where they were originally (just under 4ft out). I suppose all rooms have their own characteristics!

Out of curioisity have you had to tighten the top bolt on your CLX's yet?

Thanks
M.

I went to tighten them a few months after they arrived and they didn't need it. I haven't checked lately. Will report back.

Does ML specify how much torque is required when you tighten the bolt?

I believe it's appx one Parsec-Gigaton... or there abouts.

Rule of thumb though for me is finger tight plus half a turn :) (which applies to a number of things now that I think about it).

Actually, it's not covered in the manual. I do recall people talking about it before, but the amount of torque needed to get me to use the search function is pretty steep.

Latest posts

Back