Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck

Reaction score
I am considering moving from Summit X to CLX but was interested to gather opinions on if it is a good move.

My main issue is if I need a sub would this not limit the benefit of having a full range panel?

My room is big enough 7.5m length x 5.5m width. I am running all ARC equipment (about to update my signature!)

So have any of you made this move and what are your views?

I always browse this great forum but have to admit not that often post. So I appreciate all of your comments.

Marc.

Marck,

What are your expectations?

What do you find lacking with your current set up?

That will probably help those who can respond to your question.

GG

Marck,

What are your expectations?

What do you find lacking with your current set up?

That will probably help those who can respond to your question.

GG

Hi Gordon,

So a good question! It is more about what I am potentially missing out on rather than what I am currently lacking.

I listen to mainly female vocals and jazz. I am thinking that the significantly bigger panel will make a big difference.

I am intending to demo, however I would like to get some views before I start on the slippery slope!

Thanks
M.

I have listened to the CLX a few times over the years. The detail is outstanding. I would not say the CLX by itself has hard hitting bass. The bass is fast and tight but lacks punch. Still I think for Jazz and vocals the CLX can hold its own with speakers costing 2x as much. The only thing I have noted listening to the CLX you will need powerful high quality amps.

Hi Gordon,

I listen to mainly female vocals and jazz. I am thinking that the significantly bigger panel will make a big difference.

Ahhhhh .... the panel thing........given the freq range of what you 'mostly' listen to your present Summit X's have a BIGGER panel ! remember this, the CLX's cross over @ 360 hz to a 490 sq in panel, your Summit's cross over @ 270hz to a 497 sq in panel.

This is not a knock on the CLX's, rather I'm just trying to point out the fact that the majority of the freq spectrum is actually being produced on a smaller panel on the CLX's.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?13146-Summit-X-to-CLX-is-it-wor

Please take this as constructive advice, it's not meant as harsh or smart in any way, have you considered a demo of a quality SS amp of another brand just for a reference point? Some times we look for sound in the wrong places.

Please take this as constructive advice, it's not meant as harsh or smart in any way, have you considered a demo of a quality SS amp of another brand just for a reference point? Some times we look for sound in the wrong places.

I have just changed my amplifier from a Krell FPB to the new Audio Research tube amplifier. I listened to a few others, however I much prefered the tube sound. The ARC I felt was in a different league. I think it also helps that the rest of my system is ARC so the synergy is wonderful.

I did check prior to purchasing that the amplifier would be able to drive the CLX's and it as confirmed there would be no issue.

M.

I reckon:

1) Better sense of scale - the sounstage is more realistically sized.
2) Less "slam" than your Summits.
3) Really good bass definition - but only to 60Hz before they start droppping output quite rapidly.

When you hear them, I think you'll agree they are pretty spectacular - quite substantially better than the Summit X in a lot of areas. But my advice is to use some transient/punchy/slammy recordings to assess if you are happy with them in this area. I'd also take some recordings with deep bass on - to see if you can live with them sans subs. Basically - hit them where they are weak - because where they are strong, they really are strong - and that will be obvious.

You may find you've put yourself into the sub dilemna - room placement blues, which sub level settings provide the best blend, which subs etc? You may conclude you need two. And that's going to cost. But looking at the rest of your components, that may not be a problem.

Basically they are really good speakers - with caveats. Hopefully those that own them will chip in. Add more weight to what they say than me.

Last edited:
Clx's will give you the very finest and most realistic sound available anywhere (regardless of price!)

I use my CLX's with one JL 113 sub with great results. I think you will be hooked on the CLX speaker. I went from the Vantage to Summits to CLX's. The CLX's is the clear winner. I did not have the Summit X.

If it was required I would entertain a Descent I. Seems like that would give me the best of both worlds.

I noticed that the CLX is now sold as the Art edition. This is more expensive than the standard one (which I am not sure is available anymore) - does anyon know what the difference(s) are?

Thanks
M.

Which ever sub you go with make sure you request the CLX chip for it. Both the Depth and Descent have an available CLX chip that helps them blend like a dream.

Marck,

Having migrated from the Summit-X to the CLX myself, I concur with most of the comments above. They are hugely articulate and detailed in their presentation. I can hear singers swallowing (amongst other bodily noises) between phrases on recordings that, with any other speakers I've ever heard, this level of detail is lost. User211 is right about the lowest frequency register though. For some music (depending on your tastes), you will likely want to augment with a sub. The Decent i is a solid choice... and with a room as large as yours you might actually consider two subs. ML also offers a specially designed "CLX Filter" that you can fit into a Depth i or Descent i and should help simplify blending... but sub placement, phase matching, etc is still critical to obtain the most transparent match.

Difference between original and ART are, I believe, limited to trim shape and an upgrade to stainless steel binging posts. I do not believe there is any difference at all wrt panel design or crossover implementation.

Also, as someone pointed out above, the CLX absolutely love quality power. I was running a pair of 80W tube monoblocks and while they sounded wonderful, it didn't take too long before I realized there was a headroom issue. I've since replaced them with a pair of ModWright 600W SS amps and couldn't be more impressed.

I'll also add that, without exception, all of the posts I've read herein from CLX owners seem to agree that once they migrated, they never looked back. There is something very special about the ability of these speakers to dig deep into the soundfield and present EVERYTHING to the listener... at times, to a fault. So the other thing to be aware of at least is that bad recordings will indeed sound plenty bad via CLX (perhaps moreso than with any other speaker you've heard). Whereas good recordings of music you love will simply blow you away.

Cheers,

-Todd

(p.s. also no more annoying turn-off thump with the CLX since there is no internal amp :) )

Last edited:
Clx's will give you the very finest and most realistic sound available anywhere (regardless of price!)

Dan,

Having just returned from RMAF, I would suggest that there are many outstanding speakers at many price points.

I think once you reach the CLX level of transparency, they are admittedly a top performance contender within their price point.

IMHO, given the subjective nature and personal preferences inherent in our hobby, the "best regardless" of price" is a difficult statement to defend.

No knock on the CLX's. Just an objective observation.

GG

Hi Todd,

Many thanks for your detailed response. It is especially interesting since you had the Summit X prior to the CLX.

I understand your comment re recordings, however I find that I only listen to discs that are recorded to a good quality.

Reading your comment re bass, and everyone else's, I think I would need a sub. I would not be able to go for the pair initially.

So next steps will be to arrange a demo.

I am somewhat surprised that the Art edition has no other differences considering the difference in cost.

Thanks again
M.

Oh and I know what you mean with regard to the annoying thump when turning off!!

Dan,

Having just returned from RMAF, I would suggest that there are many outstanding speakers at many price points.

I think once you reach the CLX level of transparency, they are admittedly a top performance contender within their price point.

IMHO, given the subjective nature and personal preferences inherent in our hobby, the "best regardless" of price" is a difficult statement to defend.

No knock on the CLX's. Just an objective observation.

GG

I've listened to many super exotic speakers over the years and I can safely say that I would never want to own any BOX loudspeaker in my system (regardless of price). I can always hear a degree of boxiness to the sound in any of them, whether it's large or small. I find this quite distracting and basically offputting. Therefore I find that the most realistic sound will always come from a ''Box Free'' full range Electrostatic speaker like the CLS, or ultimately the chief itself (the CLX). The CLX is the most transparent sounding loudspeaker in the world. If there is something else out there that is slightly more transparent, my guess is that it would have to be another Electrostatic simply because no 'Box Speaker' can reach the same high level in this area of sound.

Too me the advantage of the CLX over other ML models is that electrostatic panels cover range from 56hz and up in CLX compared to 270 hz and up in other models...

If your room is large enough to work with CLX, I feel it is better than the Summit X. Sadly for me, my room not big enough for CLX and I do not have budget for the CLX ((((( The CLX is my dream speaker if room was large enough )))))

I have owned many electrostatics over the years ( Acoustats, Martin Logan and Quad ) and to me electrostatics are very special ))))))

Dan

I've listened to many super exotic speakers over the years and I can safely say that I would never want to own any BOX loudspeaker in my system (regardless of price). I can always hear a degree of boxiness to the sound in any of them, whether it's large or small. I find this quite distracting and basically offputting. Therefore I find that the most realistic sound will always come from a ''Box Free'' full range Electrostatic speaker like the CLS, or ultimately the chief itself (the CLX). The CLX is the most transparent sounding loudspeaker in the world. If there is something else out there that is slightly more transparent, my guess is that it would have to be another Electrostatic simply because no 'Box Speaker' can reach the same high level in this area of sound.

I agree though my exposure to many of the really high-end box speakers out there is admittedly somewhat limited. And the jury is still out for me wrt some of the open-baffle designs out there that straddle the fence between planar and box (i.e. coil driven drivers in a boxless baffle) - I'd love to hear the Hawthornes someday.

Latest posts

Back