Summit X to CLX - is it worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno I try to be nice about the CLX - and all the Aps get is pure hate.

Put the two in the same room sans subs, and the lightweight CLX would get blasted into the stratosphere - shocked that it couldn't muster any real bass or dynamics. You'd just sit there thinking "far out, man!". You wouldn't even need the aforementioned chemical assimilation!:)

Have got first refusal on them. Just need to demo them first before pulling the trigger!!

If you do refuse them - you're more than welcome to come and listen to my restored Duetta Sigs. Will probably give you a small taster of what the Synergy 2 can achieve. Bit of a drive, though. Or phone Reality Audio (should pop up in Google) and see what Jon says about Synergy 2.

I dunno I try to be nice about the CLX - and all the Aps get is pure hate.

Never hate... only love and friendly fire.

You wrote some other stuff about some sort of in-room side-by-side bake-off... which I didn't fully read. Seemed too surreal and abstract ;)

Last edited:
Marck, I've been on the slope for several months:) FOrtunately or not, recent hurricanes and terrible weather has forced me to put my savings into my cave (house). For some reason my wife does not like it raining in the bedroom!! I thought a $20 blue tarp over the roof gave the place a somewhat eclectic look. I was wrong:(

The CLX is in my near future. Darn you all!!

Gordon

Come to the dark side Gordon ;)

Hi Marck. Funny, I just realized that I have never heard any Martin Logan other than the CLXes! So I certainly cannot compare them to Summit X. However, I did hear them back to back with the acclaimed $60K Magico Q5's and I felt that the CLXes were clearly superior.

The break in period was quite lengthy for my new CLX Arts. They were VERY bright at first and it took quite a while to smooth out. I thought that I might have made a mistake, but now I know that I most certainly did not! These things are simply sensational. The only speakers that I have thought superior are MUCH more expensive such as the previously mentioned YG Anat Ref, The Nola Baby Grand Reference, and the TAD CR1 -all with way more expensive electronics than I use. I have heard quite a bit of exotica that I do not like as much including the aformentioned Magicos, the Vandersteen 7's, MBL's, and most Wilsons. My previous speakers were significantly more expensive McIntosh XRT1K's -the CLXes are hands down superior (and better looking!)

They are crazy transparent and revealing. They are brutally unforgiving to poor recordings. The other night I was listening to the spectacular acustic version of Creep by Radiohead and I was simply in awe and then my server switched to a Motown tune. It sounded like my system was abruptly turned off and swtched to a clock radio between the speakers. Ick! So be very aware of this trade off -in return for among the best sound there is on some recordings, others will be unlistenable.

The Art speakers come with improved binding posts, upgraded power cords, and I love the look of the Art frame. Indications are that All CLX models sound pretty much the same.

The bass has been a pleasant surprise, very tight and full and very fast. But no real slam. However, I have been completely unable to get my JL f113 to match up. The sub needs to be worked on more, I know there is room for improvement. But the nice thing about subs is that you can turn them on and off depending on the mood and music.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Justin,

I wouldn't call it hate. I think you've made your position very clear and, for myself, it's getting quite boring, self indulgent, and tiresome.

Gordon

Justin,

I wouldn't call it hate. I think you've made your position very clear and, for myself, it's getting quite boring, self indulgent, and tiresome.

Gordon

Lighten up, Gordon. You're far too serious. For the most part, I'm just having fun with Todd. I find that good fun - pure and simple.

Also I was genuinely trying to be helpful to Marck.

My position is the CLX is awesome. But so are 2011 spec Aps. MBLs are awesome too. That simple.

Last edited:
Jeff, Justin, Gordon et all,

Thank you for all your comments so far, looks like I am going to be falling in love with them. My music, mainly female vocals and jazz seem to be the perfect partnership with them.

Btw, I am using Transparent Audio power cords so in some way the extra for the Arts will be wasted.

Roll on demo time... 😄
M.

Jeff, Justin, Gordon et all,

Thank you for all your comments so far, looks like I am going to be falling in love with them. My music, mainly female vocals and jazz seem to be the perfect partnership with them.

Btw, I am using Transparent Audio power cords so in some way the extra for the Arts will be wasted.

Roll on demo time... 😄
M.

TBH Marck I think given your music preferences that's probably right. Tough call to beat the CLX on female vocals. Jazz not so clear versus Aps.

Rock and electronica - Aps - definately. Considering panels only here. IMHO of course!!!!

Last edited:
Lighten up, Gordon. You're far too serious. For the most part, I'm just having fun with Todd. I find that good fun - pure and simple.
Justin, I for one enjoy the banter. If it were not for the banter, I wouldn't be here. The hi-fi discussion is just an aside :)

Justin,

Sorry if I misinterpreted. Still trying to figure out you Brits. :D

Gordon

So the demo is going to be in my room at home.

Discs will be selected from:

Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Rosa Passos, Sara K, Keb Mo, Sony Holland, Stacey Kent, Alison Krauss, Chantal Chamberlain, Dianne Reeves, Eric Bibb, Laura Marling, Natalie Merchant.

I will scale this down prior to demo but gives you some idea

M.

So the demo is going to be in my room at home.

Discs will be selected from:

Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Rosa Passos, Sara K, Keb Mo, Sony Holland, Stacey Kent, Alison Krauss, Chantal Chamberlain, Dianne Reeves, Eric Bibb, Laura Marling, Natalie Merchant.

I will scale this down prior to demo but gives you some idea

M.

That's one hell of an accommodating dealer. Each CLX "casket" requires at least two to three pallbearers for quiet, respectful relocation between vehicle and domicile.

Latest posts

Back