Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: War Of The Worlds (DTS) "Two Disc Limited Edition"

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Ross,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad you will own a copy of this fantastic SiFi film. It's a hoot and a lot of fun as well...

Statman,

Yes, the newer version is a much better film and does follow the book more closely but their is something near and dear to my heart, with the 1953 version as well, I own them both
    I disliked the general acting in this, but can accept it for what it is as an effects/suspense flick. I dislike movies where I'm hoping that one or more of the protagonists gets killed/eaten/mauled because of the gross stupidity of their behavior. Behind Enemy Lines was similiar - I wanted to shoot Owen Wilson myself (the enemy is down there and I'm up here hiding, how about I stand up and yell at them when my friend is shot?...). Eleven year-old Dakota Fanning was the best actor in this, with a nod to Tim Robbins as the creepy guy.

If you like classic SciFi, get Forbidden Planet. It's amazing how well the special effects and storyline hold up even now for a mid-50's movie. There are a number of faces you'll recognise from later work, including Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielson, and Earl Holliman.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInNC
    I disliked the general acting in this, but can accept it for what it is as an effects/suspense flick. I dislike movies where I'm hoping that one or more of the protagonists gets killed/eaten/mauled because of the gross stupidity of their behavior. Behind Enemy Lines was similiar - I wanted to shoot Owen Wilson myself (the enemy is down there and I'm up here hiding, how about I stand up and yell at them when my friend is shot?...). Eleven year-old Dakota Fanning was the best actor in this, with a nod to Tim Robbins as the creepy guy.

If you like classic SciFi, get Forbidden Planet. It's amazing how well the special effects and storyline hold up even now for a mid-50's movie. There are a number of faces you'll recognise from later work, including Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielson, and Earl Holliman.
    I don't think anyone watches a tom cruise movie for fantastic acting.

And I'm with you on the shooting Owen Wilson. I can't stand that man.

The nice thing with War of the Worlds is that the best parts of the film are accessable via chapter search, AND that in those scenes, there's very little acting required to get the point across... with the exception of Tom running for his life like some sort of maniac while bodies turn to ash in his path.

And, in my opinion for classic sci-fi, you can't go wrong with Alien. To this day it still makes the women hide their faces.
    ML - Theater, Ascent-i, Aeon, Script | SVS - PB12-Ultra/2 subwoofer
    Sunfire - Cinema Grand Signature 400~five, Theater Grand V
    Monster: Signature AVS 2000 UHC, Signature 5100 PowerCenter UHC
    Panasonic TC-P55VT30 Plasma
    Click here to see my system! (needs updating)

Smile War of

Question, does anyone know if the original "War Of The Worlds" is available on DVD? I originally had it on Laserdisc. What a superb picture. This, has always been a favorite of mine. In fact, for that time, the make of those space ships, and how they just hovered over the ground, and shot those rays, I thought was pretty good.
    I don`t know how you all feel about it, some classics should not be re - done. Though this movie was decent, I still prefer the original. Funnny thing about our youth today. I believe they should know about the classics. When asking my stepsons friend if he knew that there was an original "War Of The Worlds" he said no.
    I make sure my stepson has seen the original, before we go and see the re - make. When we saw Kong, during the film, he was able to tell me where or where not the new film followed the original. I thought that was good.
    Anyway, is it available?

I loved this movie as a kid would watch it on "Family Classics" on WGN. This movie can be had on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Gen...141638&sr=8-12

Too bad the DVD was not made in 16:9 only 4:3. Enjoy!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cherian View Post
    I loved this movie as a kid would watch it on "Family Classics" on WGN. This movie can be had on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Gen...141638&sr=8-12

Too bad the DVD was not made in 16:9 only 4:3. Enjoy!!
    Thank you so much Cherian. I will check it out and probably purchase it.