Nickel Creek / Nickel Creek (SACD)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Artist / Title: Nickel Creek / Nickel Creek (SACD)
Year of Release: 2003
Record Label: Sugar Hill Records
Genre: New Acoustic / Contemporary / Folk / Celtic Bluegrass

'Nickel Creek', is an up-and-coming, talented young band. Chris Thile - mandolin, Sara Watkins - violin, Sean Watkins - guitar, Scott Watkins - acoustic bass. These childhood prodigies, met at a weekly pizza parlor show by the Southern California group 'Bluegrass Etc'. They formed, "Nickel Creek", in San Diego, California. Sara and her older brother, Sean play wonderful, violin and guitar, while their friend and follow performer, Chris Thile is fantastic on the mandolin, bouzouki, banjo. All three younger performers were born in Santa Monica, CA. Chris Thile's, Dad - Scott Thile, accompanies them on the acoustic bass and electric stand-up bass. What started as a talented group, just playing Celtic Bluegrass together, has developed into so much more. Chris Thile, as well as Sean Watkins, currently have solo efforts on CD's, though they continue to come back together as, "Nickel Creek" the very talented and successful band. Their single "Reasons Why", was a number one hit for the band and is featured on this excellent SACD. :D

My favorite tunes on this SACD are: Nickel Creek's instrumentals, "Ode To A Butterfly", which sounds just like a butterfly, all of the insect sounds of twittering, feelers, wings are perfectly represented mostly by the mandolin, but also guitar and violin... just amazing... :D Also, "House Of Tom Bombadil", "Cuckoo's Nest", "Robin And Marian" and the beautiful "Pastures New", and of course, "Reasons Why".

I think, 'Nickel Creek', owes much of their success to the wonderful musician / performer, Alison Krauss. It was Alison Krauss, who first took an active interest in these very young musicians and fledgling young band. Ms. Krauss took them under her wing and produced this, their very first outstanding CD, "Nickel Creek". They have a web-site for more info about this great band:

http://www.nickelcreek.com/

I was turned on to this particular, "Nickel Creek" SACD, by Andrew at Magnolia Hi-Fi, in Santa Rosa, CA. He said, "Robin, you want to hear what ML's can really do, listen to this..." He put on "Ode To A Butterfly" and Wow the Ascent i's, I was listening to, just burst forth in this amazing sound, especially the Highs and Mid's... :D This "Nickel Creek", SACD is truly, Martin Logan, speaker friendly.

"Nickel Creek", is just beautiful to listen on ML speakers... A real treat for the ears... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• B00004NK9T.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B00004NK9T.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Great Review Robin...

Their second CD (also available on SACD) "This Side" is eqally compelling, if not better. It also makes the Logans shine.

I just saw that they had a third album out yesterday when I was at Tower Records, but it was a CD only, so I'm waiting for awhile in case it is released in an SACD version as well.

Nickle Creek

MiTT,

Thank you for the kind words. :D I really like Nickle Creeks style. If you like this SACD check out Chris Thiles - "Not All Who Wander Are Lost". My favorite cut is "Club G.R.O.S.S." sound wonderful on my Logan's. :D

Back