System #412 (Summit X, Stage, FX2)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbados

Reaction score
System #412 (Summit X, StageX, BalancedForce 212 (2), FX2)

IMG_20140403_151146.jpgIMG_20140403_151107.jpg

Barbados

Loudspeakers

ML Summit X (gloss black), ML BalancedForce 212(2), Paradigm SUB 25 V2Stage (gloss black), Paradigm S8v3 (rear surround), FX2 (side surrounds)

Oppo 105

Mac Mini

Apple TV

Krell Foundation

Krell EVO 2250E

Krell KAV 500

Musical Fidelitty M1HPAP Headphone Amplifier

Grado PS1000 Headphones

MIT 750 speaker cables

MIT 350 balanced interconnects

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,396
Last edited:
New setup looks great, but quite a downsize vs. your previous ML Statements! Curious how the smaller room and speakers compare to your previous über system!

That is my father's system (which he would say is really mine.) He still has it and it still sounds like it did new nearly 14 years ago but I think he's not as into the hobby as he used to be. Things change when you kind of fall out of love with music I suppose.

The summits are very very detailed and, in my room, are so sensitive to placement it's amazing. They can really sing. Moving them a 1/4" can make all the difference. I never thought Logans could sound so good and true 2 1/2' from the back wall.

I cannot compare the two speakers with such different electronics but I will say that the low level detail and resolution on the Summit X is remarkable.It also takes time to get the bass integration and balance to sound natural but I think I'm almost there. That's a surprise for me considering my apartment is of concrete block construction. When I get the Krell S1200U and EVO 302 in the chain I'll see what's really going on but for now the upper midbass seems a little shy. That's the only thing I'm looking to really improve on now.

Last edited:
I'm loving the X's of mine & to me it is absolutely joyful to know that if I want a different sound,(for some this would mean a new set of cables), you just need to move your speakers to or from the wall. Lovely looking set-up.

Does that krell provide enough power and what other amps have you compared it too ? The reason I as is I am hunting for somthing to make my ML stage sound better

Does that krell provide enough power and what other amps have you compared it too ? The reason I as is I am hunting for somthing to make my ML stage sound better

For the Summits it isn't quite enough overall. It's a bit soft in the bass and not as high in resolution overall compared to say the Halcro MC50. The KAV is almost 15 years old.

Two of the channels on the Krell are bridged to provide 400w to the Stage. It makes a HUGE difference. It sounds more open and effortless... definitely a big improvement over the Theater i. For the money Emotiva makes a very good amp but I have my eyes set on the Krell EVO 3250e

Welcome to our Matin Logan family. That's a very nice arrangement you have their. Happy Listening!

Updated equipment to reflect new pair of BF 212s. The Paradigm SUB 25 now functions for Movies only as rear center sub. Setting the Summit X to -10db @ 25hz really opens up the midbass dynamic range at live levels. So far, the BF 212s seem to show great promise... They are MASSIVE and beautiful!

GH

Last edited:
Have you experimented with taking the coffee table out of the room to hear if there is any difference?

Yes, I have. There isn't a whole lot of difference surprisingly as far as tonality is concerned. There is a little bit of upper midrange glare with it in place. The holographic imaging is compromised somewhat as well.

It is a shared room however and I am no longer a bachelor so I'll have to wait until we move to have a dedicated room I'm currently designing. The place is temporary.

GH

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow! Dual BF 212's with Summits! That's a LOT of bass to get "dialed-in!"

I've recently added a single BF 210 to my Summit setup, but having some issues getting it optimally dialed-in. I had tried integrating a second sub (old NHT Sub Two), and was able to get an impressively FLAT bass response with XTZ Room Analyzer measurements, but the low bass sounded very muddy, presumably due to phase/timing mismatch between the two competing subs, not to mention the Summit woofers. I took the 2nd sub out, and it's sounding better. I'll try your suggestion of running the Summits -10dB at 25 (and/or 50 Hz), with the corresponding BF filter (and PBK EQ).

How do you like your EM-FX2 as surrounds? Just using 2 placed in the back or 4 with sides and rears? Do they blend well with the front three speakers?

I currently have Theos as my FL and FR with stage X center and was wondering how the FX2 would blend with them for side and rear surrounds?

Back