Amp for Motion 12 - sub $500 (A9555 vs. A-5VL vs. 650A)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashvinvai

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a proud owner of recently acquired Motion 12s (in fact they arrive tomorrow).
I'm looking for an integrated amp sub $600 (max $700 if its really worth it) for 2ch stereo.

From reading other threads/forums, i'm considering the
1. Onkyo A9555 vs.
2. Onkyo A-5VL (with a 24b DAC in-built) vs.
3. Cambridge Audio 650A (costs more than the first 2)

Any recommendations/suggestions?

Does not seam to easy to come along people about the motion series. Are you using this as a Home Theater 5.1 7.1 7.2? Or just for music

My questions is in that price range.. Should i just get a higher end AVR and pay the little extra or get a decent AVR and get a seperate amp? I am going to be running 6 Motion 12s a Motion C Center Channel and 2 Dynamo 500s.

I have Motion 12's and a Motion 8 in my bedroom setup, and I'm driving them *with ease* with a Pioneer Elite receiver (110w x 7). I don't think you're going to get much more out of them with a separate pre/pro and amp. I would spend the money on a good subwoofer (sounds like you may already have two anyway), and cross over the 12's at 50hz or 80hz.

Hi Ash,

If you are up to it, consider buying used from the Audiogon site. Incredible deals (phenomenal bang for the buck / Arcam comes to mind) can be found if you know what you want and are patient.

GG

Ash,

Try the Outlaw RR 2150 Stereo Receiver. Available direct from their site. 100 X 2. 30 day money back. $699.

Could really be worth it given their past reputation.

GG

Last edited:
Back