Emotiva XPA-1 monoblock impressions...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean they were offering to screw you again?

I guess it could be interpreted that way...lol, no they gave me $75 credit towards future purchase as a way of placating me for the first screw up. The trouble is that's a moot point once you've ****ed someone off so badly that they would never buy from you again. They essentially gave me nothing. Part of that orignal offering was that this VP was going to "personally" stand over QC to assure that the unit I got was perfect...which was obviously just lip service and not the truth because the next day they shipped THE WRONG MODEL.... how could that have happened if he personally supervised the process, unless he was drunk or high on something...which is always a possibility.

OK...the second screw up is over and then they ship a third unit. Now, wouldn't you think that after two screw ups that VP would make sure that everything was 100%?...well he didn't. If you can ignore the fact that they shipped it to the wrong address and I had to go drive 45 miles each way to retrieve it from the Fedex facility in West Palm Beach..then you have to look at the fact that the third unit they sent was defective ...the voltage staus lights on the back don't illuminate. Granted, this is very minor but not so minor when you consider that the VP had promised me he would stand over the shipment to make sure it was right.

That's why if I were the owner of Emotiva I would fire this guy in a heartbeat. VPs (especially of Sales) are supposed to improve the companies image and sales, not destroy it! You would think SOMEONE would have been concerned enough to make sure....

They couldn't spare a few mins of their time to check it out...when I was waisting hours waiting for Fedex to deliver defective equipment, running after misaddressed gear, shipping them back their mistakes....I find that not only rude and inconsiderate but so irresponsible. I'm sorry, but just because your equipment is cheap does not give you permission to be rude and irresponsible.

Nobody could ever possibly convince anyone that this was an isolated event. Screw up once, yes, twice; unlikely, three times makes them total idiots in my book.

Last edited:
I guess it could be interpreted that way...lol, no they gave me $75 credit towards future purchase as a way of placating me for the first screw up. The trouble is that's a moot point once you've ****ed someone off so badly that they would never buy from you again. They essentially gave me nothing. Part of that orignal offering was that this VP was going to "personally" stand over QC to assure that the unit I got was perfect...which was obviously just lip service and not the truth because the next day they shipped THE WRONG MODEL.... how could that have happened if he personally supervised the process, unless he was drunk or high on something...which is always a possibility.

OK...the second screw up is over and then they ship a third unit. Now, wouldn't you think that after two screw ups that VP would make sure that everything was 100%?...well he didn't. If you can ignore the fact that they shipped it to the wrong address and I had to go drive 45 miles each way to retrieve it from the Fedex facility in West Palm Beach..then you have to look at the fact that the third unit they sent was defective ...the voltage staus lights on the back don't illuminate. Granted, this is very minor but not so minor when you consider that the VP had promised me he would stand over the shipment to make sure it was right.

That's why if I were the owner of Emotiva I would fire this guy in a heartbeat. VPs (especially of Sales) are supposed to improve the companies image and sales, not destroy it! You would think SOMEONE would have been concerned enough to make sure....

They couldn't spare a few mins of their time to check it out...when I was waisting hours waiting for Fedex to deliver defective equipment, running after misaddressed gear, shipping them back their mistakes....I find that not only rude and inconsiderate but so irresponsible. I'm sorry, but just because your equipment is cheap does not give you permission to be rude and irresponsible.

Nobody could ever possibly convince anyone that this was an isolated event. Screw up once, yes, twice; unlikely, three times makes them total idiots in my book.

Hi Jerry,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. I know exactly what you mean. It's mind boggling that they wouldn't have been all over the subsequent shipment given that the VP assured personal intervention. If it helps at all, feel free to read through the trials and tribulations of my speaker acquisition (along with a few other folk's misfortunes) at the link below... good for a laugh at least :) especially now that the water has long since flowed under the bridge.

Cheers, Todd

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?11497-CLX-odyssey-begins....-now!

So it looks like my thread got hi-jacked. Please keep on topic. I will ask a mod to move the off-topic posts to another thread with a title describing the issue. This is not the thread for your complaints about your situation.

It is incredibly unfortunate that it has played out the way it has, but at this point I will say that you need to relax, have a beer and update us when the situation is resolved. Cheers!

This is not your thread its everyone's because unlike the emotiva forum we can say how we feel about a particular company without getting banned.

So it looks like my thread got hi-jacked. Please keep on topic. I will ask a mod to move the off-topic posts to another thread with a title describing the issue. This is not the thread for your complaints about your situation.
This is not a thread hijack. A major part of equipment purchase is customer support, and I think that a potential purchaser should know about the performance and customer support experiences (good and bad) in the same thread.

Last edited:
Epic fails do sometimes happen when things are done daily basis in large/mass scale (ask from tax administaration :D). I have got the impression that strong majority of Emo customers think that the customer service is top notch. From international customer's point of view, I think it's only from average to good, not excellent. One should remember not to generalize too easily, but look at the big bicture.

Last edited:
Epic fails do sometimes happen when things are done daily basis in large/mass scale (ask from tax administaration :D). I have got the impression that strong majority of Emo customers think that the customer service is top notch. From international customer's point of view, I think it's only from average to good, not excellent. One should remember not to generalize too easily, but look at the big bicture.

You dont own logans and your just here to praise Emotiva CS ?

This is not a thread hijack. A major part of equipment purchase is customer support, and I think that a potential purchaser should know about the performance and customer support experiences (good and bad) in the same thread.

Umm, yes it is a thread hijack. I have absolutely no problem with holding companies accountable for mistakes they make; in fact, I highly encourage it. This is not a bash or praise emotiva thread. The purpose was to post my impressions of the XPA-1 monoblocks and answer any questions about that product. I have no experience with any other emo products except for the UPA-5 which was bought off audiogon and not directly from emotiva.

Certain people have brought their animosity against emotiva to this thread. I won't comment on if that anger is justified or not, but I still don't feel this is the appropriate thread to get in arguments over customer service. For every one ****ed off customer there is more often than not 90-100 very satisfied customers. It is human nature to focus on the mistakes anyway and that seems like what is going on.

Projector still acts as though he received a mortal wound from Emotiva or I guess he mouthed off on their forum. Oh well.

The purpose was to post my impressions of the XPA-1 monoblocks and answer any questions about that product.
How are you able to answer any questions about the product?

Re the hijack, my concern is that if you separate the praise about the performance from the comments about customer service, you may read how wonderful it sounds but miss the thread about positive and negative customer experiences. I would not buy a product that sounds wonderful but has bad after-sales support.

You dont own logans and your just here to praise Emotiva CS ?

Even though I have heard many Logans, I know not to participate in threads regarding Logans' sound quality, build quality etc. because I don't own the equipment. For the same reason (= you don't own the topic's equipment), why don't you also leave this thread and go somewhere else? You have had your chance to say your opinion, which we all were interested to hear. But as it turns out, bashing with bad attitude does not help us others to exchange our ideas and experiences, it really serves no purpose.

Last edited:

I'm not being the peacemaker again nor do I have an axe to grind with EMO! Anyway, I have to agree with Bernard on this point. It seems both sides of the coin are represented here and the good and bad have to be presented in the same thread for a potential purchaser to not miss both good and bad.

I realize many folks here do not care for the gear I purchased. I don't care. What I do care about is being treated with respect from the fellow members and that I don't have to defend my choice to be accepted here.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Who wouldn't like what you have? You've got an amazing system that sounds great and which many folks, myself included, would find highly desirable.

GG

How are you able to answer any questions about the product?

Re the hijack, my concern is that if you separate the praise about the performance from the comments about customer service, you may read how wonderful it sounds but miss the thread about positive and negative customer experiences. I would not buy a product that sounds wonderful but has bad after-sales support.

First of all, I own the XPA-1 monoblocks, so how exactly am I NOT able to answer questions about them? Your question seems pretty asinine to me.

Second, the first post in this thread not made by me was a direct attack on the gear that I purchased. It took about a page or two for that to settle down, THEN there was another post from a member about this horrible problem he was having. Explain to me why there was not a separate thread with an appropriate title so that people searching the forum might be able to actually read about the Emo CS issue. Are you expecting people to comb through 3 pages of posts and stumble upon a complaint that they may not even be looking for? Wouldn't a more common sense way to make sure people knew about the issue that DrJRapp is having is to post a completely separate thread with a descriptive title so people could maybe use a search function? Seems pretty clear to me.

Maybe, just maybe this is a forum where it is common-place to stray from the initial topic, but I for one don't believe that is productive at all. This thread has turned more into the bash Emotiva thread and that is unfortunate. I see that DrJRapp says he has owned expensive gear in the past and that it is much better than Emotiva gear. That is great and that is the type of information that I would like to see in this thread.

As I have stated, I have heard plenty of other gear from the more traditional high-end audio manufacturers, but I have not heard that gear with my particular setup. I posted my impressions because I know there are other people on this forum with similar setups to mine (minus the amplification) and I wanted to give my impressions of the sound.

@Gordon: You state that this is a place where you don't have to defend your choice. That is great, but I posted my thoughts and I almost immediately came under fire for my purchase. So the actions of one may not represent the mindset of the group, but it is pretty clear that there are some members who turn their nose up to specific brands or gear that does not fit into their view of "elite". You will not ever find me bashing someone's choice to purchase something (unless they claim Bose is the ultimate in hi-fi, of course).

Uhhmmm, I can't believe I'm getting this involved with this thread. I went back to the first post and re-read the entire thread. Runnin, there was one poster who trashed your choice of gear. He has a particular dislike for Emo. Nobody else has said anything bad about your choice of gear. DrJRapp, (Jerry) praised the gear both here and the Lounge. He didn't care for the CS. And he wants to eventually obtain gear he feels more comfortable with. Perhaps Bernard misread your posting that you did indeed own the gear. It does happen.

If you haven't noticed, TomDac and the admins have a wider tolerance for discussion here. Unless we're talking about Bose, then nobody will comment! This is not the EMO lounge and counter views are accepted and discussed .

Thanks for the kind words Gordon. I still remember you saying "So much the same and so much different" Typical audiophile:)

Gordon

Always the gentleman G.

Did I really say that? Almost sounds profound or silly, depending on your perspective. Then again, life is full of nuances and that's where the magic is IMO.

Back on topic, sort of. Sorry Runnin.

Wonder if anyone has compared the Emos with the Odyssey Audio Khartago Stereo amp (130W X 2 / $795 list) or the mono version ($2K). Absent apparent QC / service issues, this is supposed to be another giant killer at its price point.

Take care and I hope all is well with you and your family.

GG

PS: Remember the collective dismay when Mr. Powers was terminated. From recent posts, it appears ML CS is alive and well. Maybe Emotiva is going through something similar.

Last edited:
Always the gentleman G.

Did I really say that? Almost sounds profound or silly, depending on your perspective. Then again, life is full of nuances and that's where the magic is IMO.

Back on topic, sort of. Sorry Runnin.

Wonder if anyone has compared the Emos with the Odyssey Audio Khartago Stereo amp (130W X 2 / $795 list) or the mono version ($2K). Absent apparent QC / service issues, this is supposed to be another giant killer at its price point.

Take care and I hope all is well with you and your family.

GG

Hey GG... I was honestly going to mention Odyssey as a similar high-value option to EMO. I used to own a pair of Odyssey Extreme monos (non "red-pcb") and I was very pleased with them. They were driving Maggie's for a while and then Gallo 3.1ref. I never felt they were anything other than highly listenable and never had any functionality issues with them. I haven't been following their latest offerings, but was always very pleased with Klaus's responsiveness and knowledge. I also wonder if Outlaw's 200W amps might not be in a similar value category... but never had the opportunity to hear those bad-boys.

Cheers

An old friend of mine is the son of the (co?) owner of odyssey here locally. I never have heard their stuff. I should call him and see if he will let me borrow and a bunch of their stuff for demo.

First of all, I own the XPA-1 monoblocks, so how exactly am I NOT able to answer questions about them? Your question seems pretty asinine to me.
My question may seem asinine to you, but I was asking it in the context that I normally only expect a product manager to say he can answer any questions about a product. In stating that my question is asinine, you have started a flame, and I don't do flames, so this will be my last post in this thread.

Second, the first post in this thread not made by me was a direct attack on the gear that I purchased.
Why do you take so personally a direct attack made not on you but on gear that you purchased ?

It took about a page or two for that to settle down, THEN there was another post from a member about this horrible problem he was having. Explain to me why there was not a separate thread with an appropriate title so that people searching the forum might be able to actually read about the Emo CS issue. Are you expecting people to comb through 3 pages of posts and stumble upon a complaint that they may not even be looking for? Wouldn't a more common sense way to make sure people knew about the issue that DrJRapp is having is to post a completely separate thread with a descriptive title so people could maybe use a search function? Seems pretty clear to me.
I think I have already answered that.

Maybe, just maybe this is a forum where it is common-place to stray from the initial topic
You're right about that. I and a whole bunch of others do that, with no objections from the thread starters....usually ! We are a pretty laid-back bunch about thread hijacking.

This thread has turned more into the bash Emotiva thread
Perhaps, but why are you taking it so personally?

Last edited:
Bernard,

I think we all understand the different perspectives.

Can we all just leave it at that and, in the spirit of this forum, move on?

Thanks.

Gordon

Back