Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong / Ella and Louis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Artist / Title: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong / Ella and Louis
Year of Release: 2000
Record Label: Verve Records
Genre: Jazz

Icons of the jazz world, Ella and Louie are incredible together, on this CD. "Ella and Louis", CD of their original record album, was recorded in Hollywood, in 1956. When record producer, Norman Granz brought these two jazz greats together, it was to be their first, feature-length-album collaboration together. And what a collaboration it was to be! Just prior to coming together for this album Ella had been recording her famous, Cole Porter - 'Song Book' album, while Louie had been recording, Fats Waller tunes, while constantly touring around the world. What makes this CD so wonderful was the fact that each of these performers, were both at the peak of their respective careers, musically... :D

Backing-up, Ella's vocals and Louie's trumpet and vocals, were the fantabulous musicians: Oscar Peterson on piano, Herb Ellis on guitar, Ray brown on bass and Buddy Rich on drums. These back-up men were legends individually, in their own right... I have CD's of each of these exemplary performers. They are truly, "Icon's", themselves, truly... :D

All of the songs are, 'keepers', on this fantastic CD: "Can't We Be Friends?", "Isn't This A Lovely Day?", "Moonlight In Vermont", "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "Under A Blanket Of Blue", "Tenderly", "A Foggy day", "Stars Fell On Alabama", " Cheek To Cheek", "The Nearness Of You", "April In Paris". Thankfully for all of us, the moon and the stars came together for, Ella and Louie, as they recorded this album amazing album together.

I can't recommend this CD highly enough... It is just superbly, sublime and timeless jazz at it's very best... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• B00004RD5E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B00004RD5E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Robin said:
Artist / Title: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong / Ella and Louis
Year of Release: 2000
Record Label: Verve Records
Genre: Jazz

Icons of the jazz world, Ella and Louie are incredible together, on this CD. "Ella and Louis", CD of their original record album, was recorded in Hollywood, in 1956. When record producer, Norman Granz brought these two jazz greats together, it was to be their first, feature-length-album collaboration together. And what a collaboration it was to be! Just prior to coming together for this album Ella had been recording her famous, Cole Porter - 'Song Book' album, while Louie had been recording, Fats Waller tunes, while constantly touring around the world. What makes this CD so wonderful was the fact that each of these performers, were both at the peak of their respective careers, musically... :D

Backing-up, Ella's vocals and Louie's trumpet and vocals, were the fantabulous musicians: Oscar Peterson on piano, Herb Ellis on guitar, Ray brown on bass and Buddy Rich on drums. These back-up men were legends individually, in their own right... I have CD's of each of these exemplary performers. They are truly, "Icon's", themselves, truly... :D

All of the songs are, 'keepers', on this fantastic CD: "Can't We Be Friends?", "Isn't This A Lovely Day?", "Moonlight In Vermont", "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "Under A Blanket Of Blue", "Tenderly", "A Foggy day", "Stars Fell On Alabama", " Cheek To Cheek", "The Nearness Of You", "April In Paris". Thankfully for all of us, the moon and the stars came together for, Ella and Louie, as they recorded this album amazing album together.

I can't recommend this CD highly enough... It is just superbly, sublime and timeless jazz at it's very best... :D

Cheers

-Robin
It's great on LP, but don't get the SACD; poor quality

Back