annoying issue with my Spires

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatancdan

Reaction score
When the Spires shut off after no music playing for a while, speakers make small popping noise / not loud. I find this annoying. Right after this noise lights go out on speakers ( both small led on front + M on top of back. This never happened when using Ethos. Also takes speakers few seconds for woofer section to see signal from power amplifier.

Maybe Roberto has experience with this?

Dan

It is the internal amps going into standby mode, nothing to worry about and something that you'll get used to. It takes a certain level of input to wake them back up again, so if you play a piece with a quiet intro they may take a little longer to switch back on, again this is normal.

Good to hear you are feeling more comfortable with your Spires, your enjoyment will only increase once you begin to treat your room acoustically. Just for a quick test, stand in the centre of the room and clap your hands, listen for the length of the decay, ideally, there should be close to no decay. Try this again between your speakers, and in the corners, it tells a lot about the room acoustics..
Regards,
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hola and yes, Ps68 is correct about this. It will not harm your new Spires, and also will not harm your electronics. Just a transient when the caps are discharged. All digital amps from ML do the same thing, but due to the 10" woofer, you get this problem louder. The Summits X and the new Montis, the Vantages, and the Ethos do it too. Also, the advise with clapping hands is a good tool to find resonances at high frequency and mid range. Enjoy your new toys! Happy listening,

When the Spires shut off after no music playing for a while, speakers make small popping noise / not loud. I find this annoying. Right after this noise lights go out on speakers ( both small led on front + M on top of back. This never happened when using Ethos. Also takes speakers few seconds for woofer section to see signal from power amplifier.

Maybe Roberto has experience with this?

Dan

My Summit X shut off the same way. Woofers powered up quickly as long as the volume wasn't very quiet.

My legacy Summits don't do it, but the X's do. It is definitely something that has changed since that generation.

Roberto hints at it, but to add more detail there are a few things to realize. Turn on and off sensitivities are hard to be very consistent with. Since we have gone to less than 1 watt standby mode to satisfy energy consumtion standard around the world, the trimming of the sensitivity has become very difficult to match between two speakers. Remember, a similiar system exists in any product that turns on and off by signal being present has the advantage of being a single unit, with two speaker where differences in time can be heard. Also, since there are caps to discharge when the system is turned off, some noises will come through. All is normal so please don't worry, every speaker will have some variance.

Hello Peter,
Paul here from the UK, regarding the switch, is this located on the crossover, SW1, or is this on one of the active boards?
Regards,
Ps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roberto hints at it, but to add more detail there are a few things to realize. Turn on and off sensitivities are hard to be very consistent with. Since we have gone to less than 1 watt standby mode to satisfy energy consumtion standard around the world, the trimming of the sensitivity has become very difficult to match between two speakers. Remember, a similiar system exists in any product that turns on and off by signal being present has the advantage of being a single unit, with two speaker where differences in time can be heard. Also, since there are caps to discharge when the system is turned off, some noises will come through. All is normal so please don't worry, every speaker will have some variance.

I thought there was no real problem with the Spires, just wanted to confirm this was normal for ML... Velodyne subwoofer also used digital amplifier but never heard anything from caps discharging in it...
All other aspects of these speakers really good. I will have to start leaving speakers play when I am at work as there is still glare/hardness on some recordings that I did not here on Ethos... Also looking for area rug for hard wood floor.

Dan

Back