System #408 (Ascent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

althgr

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Alex

2. Location: Newton, MASS

3. ML Model(s): Ascent

4. Year Purchased: 2002

5. Mods/Changes: None

6. Associated Electronics:

Musical Fidelity A3 CD player
Cary Audio SLP-98 Formula 1 Pre-amp (with Sylvania bad boys NOS tubes)
EAR 890 amplifier for the panels
Rotel 1090 for the bass
Transparent cables

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
I've been loving my logans for almost 10 years now. went through a few upgrades of my pre and power amps. Just got the EAR and I think I am all set for a while - It's magic :)

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 481
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 474
Welcome fellow Nor'easter !

That EAR is a wonderful amp. I bet it plays well with those panels.

Cheers

thank you everyone for warm welcome.
tsv_1 - yes the EAR is awesome. I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on it. so in the end it was between EAR and Primaluna dialog 7. Went with EAR because of the space and the fact that I could use my old good Rotel on the bass without any modifications.
What I am thinking right now is to get a nice power conditioner (any recommendations would be appreciated), and then try to mod my crossover.

thank you everyone for warm welcome.
tsv_1 - yes the EAR is awesome. I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on it. so in the end it was between EAR and Primaluna dialog 7. Went with EAR because of the space and the fact that I could use my old good Rotel on the bass without any modifications.
What I am thinking right now is to get a nice power conditioner (any recommendations would be appreciated), and then try to mod my crossover.

I had the Dialogue 7 monos in my 2-channel system... really, really nice amps - but not enough juice for my panels.

As for PCs... many of us here (myself included) employ the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Complete regeneration - virtually eliminates supply noise to all your components. I'm pleased with it and I've not heard of anyone throwing their's out a 3rd story window. You can get them on audiogon for around $1K.

Others have had good luck with Running Springs passive conditioners, claiming undetectable dynamic compression. And I'm sure still others here have plenty of opinions on myriad other conditions as well.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Todd, I never had a chance to hear Dialogs in my system, but was amazed how well the EAR can handle everything with only 70wpc output. And it sounds sooooo true!

Just looked at your system. It looks great! I am sure it sounds even better. What did you end up using for power amp in your 2-channel?

Thank you for the advice on the power plant. I’ll definitely check it out.

Hey Todd,
Congratulations on the 150’s. great to hear that you love them.

Doug – thanks,
I was trying to compare the new generation of ML to my Ascent to see if I “have” to upgrade. But left that idea alone for now. We’ll see if the lust comes back any time soon. I love the Ascents though, so we’ll see….

Alex, welcome to the fold..........what's that antique 'tube thingy' you've got postioned between your speakers ......LOL !

Thanks Dave,
Yeah I know. I don’t watch TV much. I have an LCD in the bedroom that I sometimes use as somnolent. This one is mostly for my little girl's games. Hey if I keep it for a little longer you never know – it might become relic LOL

Back