distance from back wall

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as the others have said your problem is not really the distance from the rear wall, but the extremely hard surfaces in your listening environment! The only thing you need is some good acoustical treatments - thick furry rug on floor, acoustical panels behind the speakers and at the first reflection points. This is the least you should do. Then you can move your spekers back 3-5' out from the wall and they will sound amazing. Right now you have sound bouncing all over the place and your are hearing the speaker plus second and third reflections - that just cannot sound good. This will make alot more immediate impact than "breaking" the speaker in. There is tons of great info on here regarding acoustical treatments and home made bass traps etc!

Miatancdan:

You have received excellent advice from experienced members here and hope you take it to heart. Rugs (or a carpeted floor) and room treatments are your very best friend. We all have them to some degree (I have both for my Spires) and really work well. Your Spires will thank you :)

How well does ATS products work with Martin Logans ? thinking of using the 4" 24 x 48 panels , 1 behind each speaker and 1 on each side of speaker. Does this sound like good plan for my room. Also how well do corner bass traps work with ML.

Dan

Last edited:
Beg borrow or steal a spectrum analysier & see what that sez as a start, I don't think it's a good idea remove the entire rear wave of the speaker. Focus on the side & rear walls.

Beg borrow or steal a spectrum analysier & see what that sez as a start, I don't think it's a good idea remove the entire rear wave of the speaker. Focus on the side & rear walls.
Beek , I was referring to the rear wall behind the speakers and side walls

Dan

Rear wall is usually behind you, misunderstood you. I would not bother with the rear wall unless you are forced to sit less than a few feet from it.
The s/a will determine where your fat freqs are then you can buy wave guides to suck out those freqs or use peq or dsp. :rocker:

Last edited:
I have added extra sheets over curtains of nearest window and this helps alot )))) Will order fabric wall hanging for other wall new left speaker )))) Everything sounding much better !!!!!!

Attachments

• SSC_0174.jpg
    SSC_0174.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,676
Excellent, can you do the same thing about a third of the way up from where you sit too?
Spires must be nice and broken in now..:D

I am very pleased now with the Spires, no more hardness, glare or brightness ))))))))))) Also ask lady friend to help pick out European tapestry stuff on walls to reduce hardness . Also great she dances to music here in living room (smile )

Dan

Another way to look at things is if you want to keep the timber floor exposed you could put a silk tapestry/rug/etc etc etc on the ceiling, this will really help to tame the waves bouncing off the polished hard floor.

I am very pleased now with the Spires, no more hardness, glare or brightness ))))))))))) Also ask lady friend to help pick out European tapestry stuff on walls to reduce hardness . Also great she dances to music here in living room (smile )

Dan

great she dances to music here in living room (smile )
Spires get very paranoid around dancers :)
Enjoy

Back