SL3 / noise

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I have a sl3 making crackling noise and it goes away when the prepro is turned off. The power amps are still on the sl3 is still powered up. Changed cables and reversed inputs but the same speaker still crackles. Any ideas? Thanks

Hola. You are right Bernard. Some amplifiers uses a capacitor to avoid this hump sound. One of your amplifier's channels is doing this. Your bass drivers of you SL-3s can not make any sound by them selves. This kind of hump will not harm your SL-3... it is just a transient generated when the power is off, probably you have a bad capacitor, no big deal. Happy listening,
R.

SL3,noise

just so you know that the noise went away when i changed pre-pro's. it was not a thump noise just a crakling noise. thanks for the replys

Good to know that you fixed your problem... can you explain to me what are pre-pro´s? I like to learn about problems and it is great that you are back with your beloved sound!!! I appreciate your enlighten with this issue. Regards my friend!
Roberto.

pre-pro is the samething as surround processor i could be using the wrong words but somethimes i hear this mentioned in the magazines.

Thanks Gordon... silly question, right?... I have one of those! again, it is good knews that now you are back to business Khenegar. So, the cracking noise was coming from the preamp, extrange that only when you cut the power mains A.C. you got that odd sound. Still thinking in a posibility of a capacitor. Usually at the output, you find a device that we called voltage divisor, and use an electrolitic cap, 4.7uF with the posive lead at the preamp, and the negative lead is the output...this array will make that any DC unbalanced coming from the pre, will be kept and will not come out, just the AC, in this case the music. If you have DC coming out from the pre circuit could damage the input stage of the amplifier... some manufactures after the input resistance for impedance, use another capacitor to avoid the also DC at the terminal RCA or BALANCED input. Happy listening,
R.

Thanks Gordon... silly question, right?... I have one of those! again, it is good knews that now you are back to business Khenegar. So, the cracking noise was coming from the preamp, extrange that only when you cut the power mains A.C. you got that odd sound. Still thinking in a posibility of a capacitor. Usually at the output, you find a device that we called voltage divisor, and use an electrolitic cap, 4.7uF with the posive lead at the preamp, and the negative lead is the output...this array will make that any DC unbalanced coming from the pre, will be kept and will not come out, just the AC, in this case the music. If you have DC coming out from the pre circuit could damage the input stage of the amplifier... some manufactures after the input resistance for impedance, use another capacitor to avoid the also DC at the terminal RCA or BALANCED input. Happy listening,
R.
Roberto, I once had such an arrangement, i.e. 2 capacitors in series, so I shorted out the lower value and got improved bass.

Yup... good tweak Bernard. Some of this capacitors are not too good at very low frequency. On the other side, music that usually recorded, does not has this deep bass, but once you listen to it, you want more... then the direct coupled arise!. Happy listening!

Guys I have a question. I have a pair of sl3's which I bought new in 1998. I changed out some equipment and now using Emotiva xpa1 mono block amps. I listened for about 3weeks and was really pleased then I noticed one panel sounded distorted with weak mids and a buzzing noise, no depth or expansion. I then noticed the other doing the same thing. I contacted ML and sent the crossovers back and they said no problem. I ordered new panels and installed them. Same Thing!!

I have bi wired things, hooked up my other speakers and everything sounds good.

I'm at a lose.

HELP!!

Guys I have a question. I have a pair of sl3's which I bought new in 1998. I changed out some equipment and now using Emotiva xpa1 mono block amps. I listened for about 3weeks and was really pleased then I noticed one panel sounded distorted with weak mids and a buzzing noise, no depth or expansion. I then noticed the other doing the same thing. I contacted ML and sent the crossovers back and they said no problem. I ordered new panels and installed them. Same Thing!!

I have bi wired things, hooked up my other speakers and everything sounds good.

I'm at a lose.

HELP!!

First off you really should make this a new post! I also have SL3's and would venture that it has something to do with your Emotiva amp or even the processor. Swap out the amp and see what happens. Hook up some different speakers to your current amp and see if you have the same problem... Keep us updated!

Latest posts

Back