Painting CLX anniversary edition aluminum frames?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshowalter

Reaction score
I want to get a pair of the CLXs with the aluminum frames, but the color is wrong. It won't look correct in the room, and it will glint when the lights are off and we're watching a movie. Has anyone tried painting, anodizing, or otherwise coloring the frames? If so, how well did it turn out, and what did you do?

I am sure you could call ML and get different color frames and the procedures on how best to swap the frame out. as far as painting? I really have no comment on that part of your question

I want to get a pair of the CLXs with the aluminum frames, but the color is wrong. It won't look correct in the room, and it will glint when the lights are off and we're watching a movie. Has anyone tried painting, anodizing, or otherwise coloring the frames? If so, how well did it turn out, and what did you do?
They were only available in solid black aluminum, or the solid silver. The silver is easier to find. Mine are black with one silver rail to match the McIntosh equipment. You will not find one like mine. Martin Logan does not make the 25th anniversary speaker anymore. The cost of the aluminum has sky rocketed. I would think you could have them professionally painted.

I want to get a pair of the CLXs with the aluminum frames, but the color is wrong. It won't look correct in the room, and it will glint when the lights are off and we're watching a movie.

I have a pair of silver (Alumininum) anniversary CLX's and I have not found glinting to be a problem. The finish is more matte than gloss. Even when I put the speakers too close together so the they clipped the image it is not like you are getting a bright flash. However, the color may be wrong for you and it may not look correct in your room. I have also considered changing the color on mine to add some style to my room.

I own an aerospace manufacturing company in Los Angeles and we work with various metals including aluminum. the aerospace standards are pretty stringent for quality and durability. We often have our product anodized, powder coated or painted. The easiest for your application would be painting. If done professionally you should be able to get a durable product that looks good. I was looking at doing paint #11136, a deep red almost maroon. The painting company qouted me $200 for the pair but of course YMMV. I have not proceeded yet as I want to check with ML regarding warrantee issues.

regards,
Gary

I have a friend that powder coats and the colors and finishes he can do are amazing. that would be my choice. But then again I would probably modify my room before modifying my CLX! ;)

you may want to watch ebay. for example, there was a pair listed there on the 12th. in black (new york). no affiliation.

Thanks to all for your replies. I didn't know they were ever available in black. I'll keep an eye out for a pair of those used, although being rarer they will probably cost more. Thanks for the info about painting and anodizing. I assume painting would require dismantling, to remove the risk of paint getting on the panels?

(Alumininum)

I own an aerospace manufacturing company in Los Angeles

:)

Last edited:
Not true for the anniversary edition with the aluminum frames. They were only ever manufactured in aluminum and black.

you may want to watch ebay. for example, there was a pair listed there on the 12th. in black (new york). no affiliation.

The pair I see on ebay right now is the black wood frame, not the aluminum. It is the CLX-Art frame. The anniversary addition is a stronger more rigid frame.

I tried to send a PM to ask for details on how to paint, but for some reason the PM (and a second try) doesn't show in my sent items.

So I'll ask here.

GaryG, when you were quoted $200 to paint the frames, how were they going to do it? Were you going to take the complete speakers to their shop, and then they mask very very carefully to avoid contaminating the membranes with overspray, or were you going to dismantle the speakers, or what?

I don't have a problem dismantling the speakers, except the manuals don't show anything about how to do that. Is it pretty straightforward, like replacing panels, or is it more involved? And what are the chances of compromising the structure by doing this?

ML doesn't put many procedures in their owners manuals but they have a number reasonably detailed procedures that they will often provide if you contact them. I have put some details in my reply to your PM. As I said, I would be very leary about getting the panels anywhere near a painter.

Gary

Not true for the anniversary edition with the aluminum frames. They were only ever manufactured in aluminum and black.

Well I guess sure, if you were set on aluminum then I guess so, but if not there are many other colors available. Some will say that the aluminum frames sound better but I personally didn't hear a difference. Both the Art and 25th sounded exactly identical. Personally, I would go with the Art because I am a big sucker for natural wood and even then you can get the Art in any color.

I don't like the shape of the art frame. It looks like something Tim Burton would design. Give me strict rectilinear.

When I told the guy who sold me our CLX anniversaries that I was going to paint them, he looked startled and looked at me like I was a Martian. He encouraged me to set them up and see how they looked before doing anything silly. He also said of all the speakers he has brought home, his wife said the CLXs were the prettiest. Boy were they right! I'd never seen a pair in person, and now that I have, the clear aluminum is beautiful as is.

Back