Disappointed in build quality of Dynamo 500's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

Reaction score
New member here to Martin Logan
Audio has been something I have enjoyed as a hobby over the last 12 years, I have read only good things about Martin Logan speakers and subs.
I just purchased 2 dynamo 500 subwoofers and I am very disappointed with the build quality.
I purchased two of them online one of the boxes looked beat up some and had 3 holes in the box obviously not the manufacturers fault. I closely inspected the speaker inside to see if there was any damage in the same area as the holes and did not find any.
I next took off the grill and I found 3 small air bubbles under the black ash finish, also around the silver ring that surrounds the speaker I noticed another long air pocket at least an 1” long. I feel that these air pockets will only get bigger over time!
On to the second subwoofer I remove the grill and notice on the inside of the silver ring that I can see a small piece of the subwoofer surround is pealed up right by the screw this is another thing that I feel will only get worse with time, also on another piece of the surround I notice a scuff mark.
Yes I know these may sound like minor things and they are under the grill If I saw these minor imperfections before I purchased them there is no way I would buy them not even for half the price.
Now I can return the one with the damaged box for a refund but I don’t want my money back, I want a new Sub built correctly for the same price, but they are out of stock. The other sub I don’t believe I can get a refund on only exchange, warranty issues have to go through the manufacturer.
Any advice on how to handle this issue would be greatly appreciate

Thanks in advance

Perhaps the faults are the reason the seller put them up for sale?

I am the last person to apologize for ML QC, but:
If the air pockets are in the varnish, then I don't think they're going to get bigger. Can you show a pic of the damage to the rubber surround?

I am also fussy, but I think it's too much to expect that every single ML be cosmetically perfect. Just try to take some satisfaction that they survived the shipping intact and that there are no performance issues (yet?)....

You could take some good photos and complain directly to ML and let us know what they say?

I will post pics tomorrow have to get camera from my girlfriend.
I purchased these new from Newegg

I have not even hooked them up and honestly have no desire to, I wish these little things did not bother me but for some reason when it comes to audio equipment it really does!

I sent a long email to newegg today, I will see what they come back with.

Hello,
I personally never recommend any ML Subwoofer below the Grotto as the Dynamo just does not come close to offering the performance of the Internet Direct Brands like SVS, HSU, eD, Epik, et al.

However, the Grotto, Depth and Descent and truly fantastic Subwoofers and were the culminations of years of R&D. Especially the Depth and Descent with their Trilinear Array, Servo Control, Balanced Force, etc. The Grotto is also Servo Controlled and instead of using 3 Woofers, uses 1 of the 10 Inch Woofers from the Descent.
Cheers,
JJ

I mean you no disrespect, but I sincerely think that expecting flawless cosmetic build quality in a sub-$500 product is really reaching. And you are buying through the internet, not from one of the scores of retail locations near you in California where you can get the Dynamo 500? If hidden cosmetic detail is that important to you, you really need to establish a relationship with your local retailer and open the box and examine the product, or buy his satisfactory demo unit right off his sales floor.

I mean you no disrespect, but I sincerely think that expecting flawless cosmetic build quality in a sub-$500 product is really reaching. And you are buying through the internet, not from one of the scores of retail locations near you in California where you can get the Dynamo 500?

I was thinking the exact same thing! OP is buying cheap subs made in china from mail order and is expecting reference level quality. Has not even hooked them up to listen to them and is complaining about their poor quality on an internet forum. If you want a quality product, you need to be willing to pay for it. Buying the cheapest home theater product a high end company offers and then complaining that the item doesn't exhibit perfection is pretty ridiculous.

I mean you no disrespect, but I sincerely think that expecting flawless cosmetic build quality in a sub-$500 product is really reaching. And you are buying through the internet, not from one of the scores of retail locations near you in California where you can get the Dynamo 500? If hidden cosmetic detail is that important to you, you really need to establish a relationship with your local retailer and open the box and examine the product, or buy his satisfactory demo unit right off his sales floor.

Hello,
Indeed. The Dynamo is literally 1/7th the price of the Descent i. I would Return them and purchase a HSU Research VTF-2 MKIII for $509 provided they are still On Sale. It will utterly trounce the 500.
Cheers,
JJ

Well if they have ML's name on them, the expectation is that fit and finish will be superb for a particular price level. There are a number of small woofers at that price level that have exceptional fit and finish AND quality electronic construction. Without pictures I can't comment on the OP's post but he has the right to expect better cosmetics hidden or not.

That is just it. The Martin Logan name is also on a 5.1 Speaker Package that sells for $320 Dollars at places like Newegg. That is close to the price for the Custom Covers they used to sell for Sanders era Martin Logans and certainly not for 5 Speakers and a Subwoofer. Sadly, the MLT-2 has far more in common with a Bose Acoustimass than it does with what used to be considered a Martin Logan Speaker.

Martin Logan is trying to be cute with its "Reserve" and other designations. I think that for its cheap speakers the company should use a different brand name.

I could not agree more. They are leveraging on the Brand Equity of Martin Logan by releasing all of these non ESL Models. I actually think there should be an ESL Subforum and Non ESL Subforum as opposed to one main Discussion Forum.

Fact is, owning ML's is a very broad description at this point. With so many Models not using an Electrostatic Panel these days, it makes it difficult for those who own ESL Models to give advice and guidance for those who use the Folded Motion (Heil Tweeter), Titanium Dome Tweeter (MLT-2), Planar Tweeter (Mosaic, Montage, etc) These Speakers cannot be more different than what for decades was what it meant to own Martin Logan Speakers.

And while I am sure many of these Speakers are quite good, they are far different than Electrostats. And again I do agree that the non ESL's should be given a different Brand Name. Perhaps the First Names of the Founders and not the Middle Names.... Gayle Ron's Presented by MartinLogan has a nice ring....
Cheers,
JJ

I could not agree more. They are leveraging on the Brand Equity of Martin Logan by releasing all of these non ESL Models. I actually think there should be an ESL Subforum and Non ESL Subforum as opposed to one main Discussion Forum.

I'll second that!

I agree with a some of those above. I would never buy audio product from an online source, especially newegg.But I dont want to get on a rant about newegg. If the Op lives in California he should have gone to one of the hundred Magnolia locations in his area and listened to it and inspected the products he is buying, and depending on if he goes to a Magnolia HT or a Magnolia DC he could have listened to the entire line of ML subs. Not saying Magnolia is the only choice just saying that they are all over California and their shipping network is actually really good being as they use a series of freight trucks rather then UPS/FedEx who we all know isn't perfect.

But not to attack the Op, its sounds strange that the subs are in that condition unless it was either just the luck of the draw or an error on neweggs end. Call ML, they will be honest with you and either give you advice or help you out.

Back