Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, aside from cleaning off contaminants which condense or settle on the diaphragm itself, an important reason for showering is to dissolve and remove any caked-in conductive crust that can build up long term in the spacers' foam pores, and which would cause HV leakage from diaphragm to stator and low output. Mainly this grime or crust is on the top edge surfaces of the foam spacers on the front side, so that's where one should focus.
No need for warm water. Tap water should be fine.

As I understand it, aside from cleaning off contaminants which condense or settle on the diaphragm itself, an important reason for showering is to dissolve and remove any caked-in conductive crust that can build up long term in the spacers' foam pores, and which would cause HV leakage from diaphragm to stator and low output. Mainly this grime or crust is on the top edge surfaces of the foam spacers on the front side, so that's where one should focus.
No need for warm water. Tap water should be fine.

Thanks for responding. I will pay special attention to Spacers. Please do you know if its safe to shower the back of the panel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, showering the back is as 'safe' as showering the front. But still, showering should be used only as a last resort, ie not as regular maintenance. Ensure they're totally dry before reconnecting.

Yes, showering the back is as 'safe' as showering the front. But still, showering should be used only as a last resort, ie not as regular maintenance. Ensure they're totally dry before reconnecting.

Tosh, many thanks for your precious words of advice.

Tomorrow morning two technical employees of Martin Logan retailer will visit my house.
They will remove the panels from the wood frame. I can only pray that they know how to open the block connector without damaging it. After finishing their work they will leave.

I will then wash the panels. Let them dry completely and then later call the same individuals to fit the panels back into the frame. While the panels are drying I will with wood polish, polish the wood frame too.

By the end if the CLS are revived more than 80% I shall be a very happy man.

Whether they are or are not revived I will post the results in this thread.

Once again Tosh I really appreciate your kind help.

Tosh, thanks very much for your kind words of encouragement.
I dedicate, to Tosh, the following Progress Report.

PROGRESS REPORT PART 1 of 2:

Help in the form of Mr. Jamal and Mr. Rajab arrived today. They could not visit yesterday.
Before their visit I requested help from an electrician, Mr. Haider, to separate the boxes housing the electronics. I then placed the panels against a wall.

Please see attached image.

PICT0362.jpg

PROGRESS REPORT Part 1 of 2:

Mr. Rajab first removed a center clasp for the wires that was attached to the wood panel.

He then expertly took out the black, red and green wires by releasing the holders attached to the wires inside the block connector.

Mr. Jamal then placed one panel on its side. At the panel center top pressure was expertly and judiciously applied backwards to help take out the panel side from one side of the wood frame. One side of the panel came free slowly from top to bottom. Once one side had been freed from the wood frame the other side was very easy to take out.

I paid their company for their effort and they departed. I then washed each panel front and reverse side with neutral temperature water from a purchased for this purpose water pipe.

I gave only a minute of water cleaning per side. Going from top of panel to below panel with the pipe in 20 or 30 seconds. Per side I repeated this procedure twice. The first time much black dust or soot was washed out. By the end of the second time per side the water pouring down and out from the CLS was clean.

The CLS panels were then towel dried and then placed against a wall for the drying process to complete itself.

Please see attached image.

PICT0363.jpg

PROGRESS REPORT Part 1 of 2:

Next, process to be started tomorrow, the teak wood frames will be polished by hand by hired help. I may or may not make effort in this regard but I will definitely oversee the process.

Lastly after 5 to 8 days have passed I will request again help from the same quarter to fit the panels back inside the frame.

My next post, a week from now +\- 4 days, will present part 2 of the Progress Report. There will be a image of the i hope revived CLS and comments on CLS audio quality.

And did you get them back alive? I truly hope you did!!!

I wish to you a very happy listening!

My dearest friend Roberto i am delighted to have got them back alive. Difficult to give a percentage but i would say that they are 80% revived. I am a very happy man thanks to my friends at MLO that is Roberto, Tosh and the rest who supported this idea of shower cleaning. Back from the grave i would say my CLS are. I am also grateful to the help extended to me by our local Martin Logan authorized dealer.

Those are good news!!! I am happy for you too, and that you did take your time and did all the work. Not an easy task on the CLS, but also, once you learn the way on one, the second is a peace of cake. I spent over 25 years with the CLS model. The transparency, the coherence, the image, the stage, the size of the instruments, voices are astonishing. The feeling of the musician(s), the air between the instruments, a truly hi-end product and a jewel to use. Its nice to know that you are having happy listening.

Those are good news!!! I am happy for you too, and that you did take your time and did all the work. Not an easy task on the CLS, but also, once you learn the way on one, the second is a peace of cake. I spent over 25 years with the CLS model. The transparency, the coherence, the image, the stage, the size of the instruments, voices are astonishing. The feeling of the musician(s), the air between the instruments, a truly hi-end product and a jewel to use. Its nice to know that you are having happy listening.

Hi Roberto!

First, many many thanks for your kind words regarding CLS and me.

Trust that you are well and enjoying life.

Have fun my dear friend.

Congrats, M15!

PROGRESS REPORT Part 2 of 2:

Thanks Tosh,

I have connected the CLS to Denon 1510ae integrated amplifier. Though this amp is only 4 years old it has been repaired thrice. From this amp pre out, I take acoustic research cable, to the direct in of 20 year old 5 times repaired Sony F808ES. To the Sony amp, I have connected the Motion 15. At the tone controls for the Sony, bass has been maximized and treble minimized.

Both Motion 15s play the part of improvised sub-woofers.

As per advice from my friend Roberto I have placed the CLS on homemade stands. They sound improved this way.

The sound from the CLS is first dynamic, second clear, third transparent, fourth sound staging is good and finally no distortion whatsoever. A huge improvement in sound quality has taken place.

Tosh your advice to pay special attention to spacers was good. I did not want to spend too much time rinsing the panels so I paid some attention to spacers but not too much. As a result in both panels, below one spacer, a small area is not dust removed, unlike the rest of the panel. Oh well one lives and learns.

To conclude, I think I will do a better job of washing the panels the second time I attempt the same task.

Tosh thanks once again for your kind words and responding to my call for help.

PICT0381.jpg

Latest posts

Back