Custom Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

I think what you are trying to do is simply cleanse the panel of dirt and debris. I dont think you need high pressure for this. It is not like you are trying to strip of mildew from the side of your house.

If I am not mistaken most people use their showers for this sort of job. Thus if you have hand held shower head, I'd set it to the 'soft' setting and simply rince the panels with lukewarm water.

Erik

Really, ML factory tech support told you to wash them? Can you quote exactly what they said in the full context?

The main idea of washing the panels (and even RO membranes) is not to try and dislodge contaminants by direct physical means but to get the contaminants into suspension and flushed away.
    The "Shower Method" oft mentioned here reflects this. Most household water pressures run from 30-50 psi, further reduced by the shower head restriction. Pressure washers operate at much higher pressures, to dislodge contaminants by physical means primarily.
    Point? Don't even think of using a pressure washer on the panels. you will destroy them, unless that low setting you speak of is the equivalent of what your shower or a hose sprayer can do.

I have the feeling that I have landed in deep trouble. I followed the steps mentioned here and cleaned the entire thing. After keeping it dry for some time I tried to switch on the speaker. To my horror I found that it was not working. I removed the wires and reconnected everything but even then nothing is coming. I really wonder what I should do now.

Quote Originally Posted by netroll123 View Post
    I have the feeling that I have landed in deep trouble. I followed the steps mentioned here and cleaned the entire thing. After keeping it dry for some time I tried to switch on the speaker. To my horror I found that it was not working. I removed the wires and reconnected everything but even then nothing is coming. I really wonder what I should do now.
    TT
    Uh oh - where'd all your friends go -
    Responses?

Well, you must have made a mistake somewhere, you did check you connected the wires correctly and checked in the bass cavity that nothing came loose in there?
    Is the bass working? Does the led light come on?
    Bryston B100 SST DA, Micro Seiki BL-77/MA707/Audio-Technica AT33PGT II, Musical Fidelity V-LPS II, Squeezebox 3, Nakamichi LX5, Tandberg TCD440A, Martin Logan Aeon I, REL T3

Greetings!

This is my first message.
    Long time Aerius owner (1997) and have similar problems of decline.
    The shower story is completely new to me and the whole thing leaves me in dubio. But I am affraid I end up with two options. Take a shower with my panels or purchase new ones.
    I reckon a showersession also brings me closer to my set...
    I'll bring you a rapport of things!
    Cya
    Tomaso

Okay, when I saw this I thought 'oh, man, somebody has a few loose screws'. Well, I had to take my SL3's apart today to reposition the panels and add the 'the Martin Logan patented panel stop plates' (now there's a high-tech solution for you). the panel on one speaker had slipped enough that the strain on the panel wires had weakened enough for the front and back wires to immediately come off. If you ever had to re-solder these little buggers back on, well, I feel your pain.

At any rate, the panels were off and I thought, what the heck, let's hit the shower. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? I'd already survived the soldering exercise without giving up and throwing the damn things away and ordering new ones. What's a little water?

So, there weren't as much as fun as a shower with the wife. No surprise there, i guess. It's okay; my expectations very pretty low anyway.

Dried and back together with a light dusting of baby powder (I'm just kidding with that part) I fired them up.

Wow! Are you serious?! I'm completely stunned. Could they have been that dirty to sound that comparatively bad or are they just really happy to be freshly cleaned and feel like singing? Maybe I need to bath with them more often.

Nah, that's a 'once decade thing', don't get used to it, girls. it wasn't that much fun but I thoroughly enjoyed the results.

Has anyone ever done this with a pair of Ascents? Mine are probably due for this treatment and I was wondering.

Doug - out

can scripts go thru this procedure of shower cleaning?

I ran my aerius's threw the shower about two years ago. They sounded better, however I gave them another one two days ago this time I used a horse hair brush and went over the entire panel. Let me just say my aerius's have never sung like they do now.

Default Many THX

Many thanks dear Steve..

Quite instructive info in your Pdf doc. which I hope to be applicable on my Monolith III..
    Cheers

Hello Friends,

I just feel the need to notice that the water washing process does only the removal of the superficial dirty, while nothing can do for the coating worn-out over the time.

This summer, I washed 2 times my old Sequel II panels but I couldn't improve anything. At opposite, one panel went worse.

Only the full panels recoating could restore a reasonable correct sould level and clean sound (Look for recoating threads on this forum).

Regards, Andrea

Is the ESD coating completely 100% non-water soluable?
    Sources - Theta Pearl CD transport, Parasound tuner, Oracle Alexandria turntable w/ Grace F-8/SAE 1000E
    Amplification - Audio Research V-70 tube, Hafler 9303 TransNova
    Preamp - EAD TMS
    Speakers - ML Monolith II

Great information and enjoy your explanation process or guideline. Really appreciate the effort.

Cheers