Any other pre/pros other than Anthem D2v that I should even consider?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runnin17

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. I am currently running a 5.1 setup, will soon be moving to a 7.1 system.

Speakers are Spires up front, Def Tech BP7006's in the back and a Def Tech center channel (soon to upgrade the center). SVS PC12-NSD as the sub. Right now I have an Emotiva 5 channel amp and an Onkyo 805 as my current "pre/pro".

The D2v is a major upgrade and I have done a lot of reading on it. I am pretty sure that in this price range I can't go too wrong. Opinions please :rocker:

I will keep that Onkyo offering in mind. I am actually pretty intrigued by Anthem's ARC tech and from all the reading I have done up until this point I am impressed with the praise it has received. I am really trying to go for a "reference" pre/pro. I am not sure Onkyo or Denon would be able to fit that requirement.

I am also wanting to have HDMI 1.4. I know it is not a huge deal, but I do have a 3D TV and 3D Bluray, so I want something that can properly utilize that technology. In the end, I am kind of set on the Anthem and I am a little less impressed with some of the Onkyo offerings. Maybe it is just because I have had an Onkyo for the past few years, but I have not been too impressed with their build quality of late.

I know the price tag on the D2v is high, but I truly appreciate that Anthem seems to allow upgrade options for their customers and they have amazing customer support.

Thanks for the replies so far. I still have a lot of reading to do before I make a decision, but I have a little voice in the back of my head that is telling me I should just spring for the D2v :D

I have a little voice in the back of my head that is telling me I should just spring for the D2v :D

The D2v is very good equipment and if the voices in your head lead you down that path I am sure you will be happy. I went through your process last year and the D2v came in third, yes third place for me. I recommend you take a good look at the processor that came in second for me and that is the Classe 800 SST. Read Kal Rubison's review in Stereophile and that is pretty much my point of view on the Classe. The current version does have HDMI 1.4 for your 3D tv. My system is used for 80% music and 20% movies and the Classe is superb for both 2 channel as well as multi channel music. What did I buy? Meridian 861 v6. YMMV.

Regards,
Gary

Another vote for Integra 80.2 (or 80.3 which would be likely to be announced sometime soon -- I have no knowledge of it...its just normal for integra to refresh late in the year).

I have the 80.2 with Emotiva amps and CLXs... lovin it.

I am still not too sure about Onkyo. I am really trying to go for a reference level pre/pro. I guess I need to try and demo both an Onkyo/Integra unit against the Anthem unit.

I am still not too sure about Onkyo. I am really trying to go for a reference level pre/pro. I guess I need to try and demo both an Onkyo/Integra unit against the Anthem unit.

After the latest firmware a newly built integra should compare well with the anthem. Kal rubinson has a review this past July and an update in September's Stereophile.

I use the audyssey pro kit and the system is really quite nice for my system-esp with SACDs and stereo . I use Vantage and a Stage up front. Acoustic guitar sounds esp nice.

I found using two subs (JL 112) made quite a difference in the system. The new XT32 audysey handles the two quite well with the 80.2 (or the Onkyo version). If you go that way make sure you get the most recent builds (after March of this year- or wait for the 5509 or the 80.3.

Joel

Joel

I have the Anthem Statement D2 with ARC. Before I got it, I considered the Denon AVP-A1HDCI Processor, the Theta Casablanca III and the offering from McIntosh, which I think was the MX135?? I think the MX150 is their current incarnation of that product. Also read up on some of the others.. Meridian, etc. There was/is a lot to choose from and I spent months reading and comparing. I think the features of all of the processors in this class are pretty similar and a good friend of mine had the Anthem D1, which I spent some time listening to and playing with and I really liked it, so I was leaning in the direction of the D2. Then, Anthem released the D2v and I got a screamin' deal on a D2, so that pushed me over the fence. I have not regretted it. The ARC system is fun to play with and there are so many settings... it was a blast to set it up and play around with it. Very fun. After I got everything set up to my liking, I've never messed with any of the settings. I just turn it on and select the source and away we go.

Like you, i'm not sure the Onkyo / Integra is in the same league as the others. Good Luck in your search.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions. It seems like an elusive D3 is on the horizon in the near future (less than 12 months). So I might just sit back and enjoy my current system as it is now until Anthem puts out a new pre/pro.

If I go that route I will likely be picking up a Stage center channel to replace my current Def Tech :D That should hold me over on making any rash decisions about a new processor.

if you like that "canuck sound" (and who wouldn't :D ) then you might consider bryston's pre/pro

if you like that "canuck sound" (and who wouldn't :D ) then you might consider bryston's pre/pro

I would not recommend a Bryston Pre/Pro at this point in time to someone looking for a "Reference or near Reference pre/pro" They are currently working on a model SP3 which may well fit the bill but so far they have been working on it for something like 4 years and still no release date. Here is a link to almost 4 years of discussions of it on the AudioCircle/Bryston site:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50270.0

Don't get me wrong I'm a Bryston fan. My 2 channel Los Angeles office system has the 26b pre and 2 7B-SST amps. And my Las Vegas system has 11 channels of Bryston amplification including the 28B-SST^2's. Right now I think that runnin17 is on the right path waiting for the D3. Now, if Bryston gets to the finish line with the SP3 before the D3 is purchased then it may deserve a look.

Regards,
Gary

that's a very good point. I have the SP1.7 myself and held off upgrading to the SP2 because there is no upgrade path from the SP2 (or the SP1.7) to the SP3. But i suddenly realize with your post that decision was about 3 years ago - goodness, haven't they released the SP3 yet? must be spending all the their time on that DAC and transport they released in the meantime.

Yeah, hold off is right.

The more I think about it, the more I am not sure if the current D2v is lacking in any departments that I care about. I guess I will give some more info about my system and get people's thoughts.

TV: Panasonic 58" VT25
Receiver: Onkyo 805
Amp: Emotiva UPA-5
HTPC: Custom running WMC and J. River MC16 with 6850 bitstreaming audio to Onkyo 805 (audio is mainly FLAC, 5.1 FLAC and M4A)
PS3 and Xbox via HDMI, cable box via component
Bluray: Panasonic DMP-BDT300
Front mains: Martin Logan Spires
Center: Def Tech (pending upgrade to ML Stage)
Surrounds: Def Tech BP7006's (pending adding two more bookshelf speakers for 7.1 system)
Sub: SVS PC12-NSD

System is used at this point for 60% HT / 35% Music / 5% Gaming. Most of the source material is blu-ray, 3D material, recorded HDTV sources. Occasional regular DVD's that my daughter watches (but that doesn't really require upconverting).

My room is the living room and since I am active duty Army I don't plan on having a set room at least for another few years. So basically I am saying that Auto room EQ is a plus. This is not to say that I wouldn't be able to properly setup a pre/pro without auto EQ like the Classe CT-SSP, but that is more of a neutral point to me.

I don't really require a network-enabled pre/pro since pretty much all the audio is ran through my HTPC (bitstreamed directly to the processor). We don't really use netflix or Pandora, etc. Even if we did, we would use the HTPC as the front end for all of that anyway.

LOL. When I read over what I just wrote the Classe CT-SSP might actually be a better choice except for the lack of auto room EQ. Also, I would likely have to pay full price for the Classe processor. I can get a brand new Anthem D2v (with 3D upgrade) and a new Martin Logan Stage for $7500.

I guess I am just not sure what upgrades would be included in the D3 that I should wait for? Maybe a better video processor, but the current D2v is no slouch in that department either. From what I hear the D2v should be upgradable to the D3 (albeit for $3500-4000), but I really cannot imagine that there is anything I would have to have as far as the upgrade goes.

If anyone has any other thoughts throw them my way. I am curious to see if anyone has heard anything at all about the D3. :D

I do agree that a better amp would be a welcome addition. I have been toying with the idea of trying out an MRX500 or Anthem AVM50v. I could also narrow the choice down and go with a receiver/processor with Audessy MultiEQ XT 32.

The only downside to going with one of the Anthem MRX receiver is that their ability to customize the ARC EQ is not as robust as the AVM 50v or the D2v.

EDIT: Did a little more research on the differences of the AVM 50v and the D2v. Seems like the video processing is the same and the ARC settings are identical, but the main difference is the audio quality between the two.

EDIT2: Also, I have no qualms with my Emotiva amp. It was a recent addition to my setup and it is a pretty good amp IMO. I am likely going to grab a separate 2-channel amp to drive just the Spires. Kind of have my eyes on an Anthem P2, Pass Labs X250 or I might demo a McIntosh. Not worried about an amp right now though. I am more than happy with my Emotiva.

Last edited:
that's a very good point. I have the SP1.7 myself and held off upgrading to the SP2 because there is no upgrade path from the SP2 (or the SP1.7) to the SP3. But i suddenly realize with your post that decision was about 3 years ago - goodness, haven't they released the SP3 yet? must be spending all the their time on that DAC and transport they released in the meantime.

Yeah, hold off is right.

No sooner do I say Bryston doesn't have a release date for their long awaited SP3 pre/pro than the following article shows up:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...ng&catid=71:bryston-august-18-2011&Itemid=195

As you can see from the end of the article the SP3 will be out in October with a price of $9500.

Gary

Back