Spires in the house...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmusoke

Reaction score
I just got my brand new Spires last weekend and they are a beaut indeed! I have them 3 feet from the front wall and 2 feet from the sides as i have a 60" wall plasma in between. Maybe, i can squeeze them in a few more inches but that's it else i'll block my view of the TV. Does this meet the basic setup requirements of the speaker?

I also have been breaking them in by playing pink noise(20Hz-20Khz, crest factor of 3:1) at amplitudes of 80db or more during the day(upstairs neighbors not around in daytime:D). I can see the xstat and the woofer moving back and forth. I feel the bass moving my pant legs as well:D. Is this appropriate and/or will it damage them?

I have bass absorbers in the corner rooms and high frequency traps on the side walls, this helps:confused:

Thanks for the help,
David

Congrats Dave for your new Spires! I do recommend to you, the owners manual. There, you will find all to get the best out of them. It is very nice explained, and great tips also. Your set up to me seems to be O.K. Remember to point to your seating place, as a starting point, one third of the inner side of the panel. Follow the flash light instructions. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks Roberto and Beek. So no danger of damage in the way i'm using to break them in? This is my first ESL speaker. Used to have ribbons...

My personal taste is taking it easy. I love to lisen the dramatic change over the first 10 hours of playing them with my music. But you do not worry, what you are doing, it will not cause any harm to your new Spires. By the way, tell us your first impression and musical experience with them. Are you happy with them? Are you listening all kinds of music? You will start to discover new things in your beloved recordings, specially on those that you really know. Ambience, size of the instrument(s), air between them, timbre, nuance, feeling of the musician(any), you name it!. Also, you will discover that there is not any right placement for them, any change in position, will give you a total change at the stage and the size of the stage...you can choose where do you like to sit: at the first front seats, 10th row or back at the bottom of the theatre or event´s place. Have fun! happy listening,
R.

Thanks Roberto .... I hacev't done any critical listening yet as i'm in the process of changing my room around by adding sound absorbers, moving furniture and will have redo the EQ as well. I should start this weekend after all this is done. The Spires look stunning tho!

Another thing i've noticed is that if the Spires are silent(no music playing thru them) for about 10-15 minutes, i hear a 'thump' sound form the woofers mainly. Is this normal? Are they shutting off?

Another thing i've noticed is that if the Spires are silent(no music playing thru them) for about 10-15 minutes, i hear a 'thump' sound form the woofers mainly. Is this normal? Are they shutting off?

Yes... shutting off.

Back