System #398 (ElectroMotion, Source, Motif, LX16)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gear update,

Wii U (replaced the Wii, not pictured)
Marantz MM9000 amp
Alto APX1500 amp (sub amp)

amps_zpsc7603161.png

Planned upgrades for later dates:
More hard drives
ESL Center
New equipment rack

I can't seem to get good lighting in here for my camera on my Galaxy S3 and flash just screws everything up but whatever:

ht-june-2013_zpsdf11e953.jpg

Mitsubishi WD-73640 w/ 3D Emitter
Pioneer RA-E64B (Audio Rack)
IKEA Lack (TV stand)
Marantz SR7200 (Receiver)
Marantz MM9000 (5 Channel Amp)
Alto APX1500 (Sub Amp)
Pioneer GR-777 (EQ/Spectrum Analyzer, not actually in the signal path. I just like the Spectrum Analyzer)
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL (Front Speakers)
MartinLogan Source (Rear Speakers)
MartinLogan Encore TF (Center Channel)
Two DIYMA R12 subwoofers in a 3cu ft test box ported to 30hz (behind TV)
HTPC (AMD E-350, 4gb RAM, 13tb of HDD space)
Netgear WNR3500L (Router)
Comcast SMC 8014 (Gateway Modem)
Auralex DST-114 (32sq ft foam acoustic tiles, behind front speakers)
Logitech Harmony 700
Xbox 360 w/ Kinect
Playstation 3 w/ PS Eye/Move
Wii U
Sackboy
Killzone 3 Sniper (the Helghast helmet is on a bookshelf in the room)
nVidia 3D Vision 2 Emitter (gaming rig is in the same room)

Stuff on the left rack:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Alduin Statue
Lord of the Rings Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set Argonath, Gollum, and Minas Tirith sculptures
LittleBigPlanet 2 Collectors Edition bookends
Diablo Skull w/4gb USB Soulstone
Domo
Customizable Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (Atlas markings on it currently, this version can be all 3 versions)
Diablo 3 Collector's Edition
God of War 3 Ultimate Edition Pandora's box
Grand Theft Auto 4 Key To The City
Grand Theft Auto 4 Limited Edition lock box

Picked a factory refreshed Motif from Audio Advisor.

900x900px-LL-8b9f5f09_20140214_194345.jpeg

Upgraded my HTPC not too long ago to a AMD A8-6500 and color calibrated the Mits DLP with ArgyllCMS + madVR.

Almost finished with my setup... need to get a new sub box and a new pre/pro, thinking of an Emotiva UMC-200 since it's cheap and has a nice PEQ to use with REW. I'm debating bass traps but man that would be a tight fit behind my AV rack.

Congrats on the new center.

I wish I could use my old Vistas as surrounds. I bet the Electromotions mate well with the Sources.

Thanks! It's been a long 3 year wait until I got an ESL center. Vistas as surrounds... *drool* hehe Yeah EM ESL's and Source mate pretty well. There's a little tonal difference but I only notice it when playing video games in surround sound by going out of my way to walk around a talking NPC to hear the dialog jump between speakers.

I tested out some 5.1 music (Opeth - Blackwater Park, Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here, and Within Temptation - Black Symphony BluRay) which I felt was kinda meh since the Encore TF stuck out like a sore thumb with that sort of stuff. I can say the Motif completely fixed that, I can't really tell where the EM ESL's end and the Motif picks up and vice versa. Very happy. :D

Now I need to find some other 5.1 music like Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Blu-Ray!

Since last update:

Tascam PA-R200 receiver (rebadged Integra DTR-30.4)
Crown XTi2002 (replaced the Alto APX1500 as one of the channels died)
Ideal Lume bias light
MartinLogan LX16 for back surrounds

20140708_183106_zpsbb90d6fa.jpg

ML-LX16_zpsc5af4324.jpg

Last edited:
Room treatment very essential for good room acoustics and adjusting tone switches do not by themselves achieve easy to hear room acoustics.

Heard the ML Electromotion at the Martin Logan dealer with new Adcom amplifier and also with Anthem MRX av receiver.

In my opinion both amplifiers have strengths as well as weaknesses. Important point to note is that all the electronics including the EM were out of the box and hardly run in.

I prefer the anthem because in ML EM produced delicate airy sound, detail, transparency, depth, clarity and stable high resolution soundstage. The vocals however were quite suppressed and bass weak. My early impression is because of the above strengths Anthem sounds like a Smaller Krell FPB stereo amplifier that I had heard with Quest loudspeakers in year, 1995.

Adcom delivered muscular dynamic sound overall and dynamic bass and vocals and my early impression was that the Electrostatic top half of EM responded very well to the Adcom though only at very high volume to Full volume. Detail was absent at moderate and low volume.

If I had Electromotions I may pair them with soon to be auditioned by me Anthem MCA 20 power amp ( price 1799 dollars ).

The Martin Logan Electromotion are fantastic loudspeakers and represent great value. If only they had high resolution aluminum woofers and high quality standard cable terminals, then they would be even better and be beyond doubt the speaker of choice for a greater number of audiophiles.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back