System #398 (ElectroMotion, Source, Motif, LX16)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

|Tch0rT|

Reaction score
Name: Ryan

ML Model(s): ElectroMotion ESL, Source, Motif, & LX16

Year Purchased: 2011 & 2014

Old setup and pics, newer pics later in the thread. Will update this when finished with my upgrades...

ML Model(s): ElectroMotion ESL, Source, & Encore TF

Associated Electronics:
Hitachi 51F59A
Marantz SR7200
DIYMA R12's in a 3cu ft test box ported to 30hz off a hidden 800 watt amp. I need to get the box redone to be more HT friendly.
XBMC HTPC (Zacate, 4GB RAM, and 8TB storage)
Toshiba HD-A3
JVC VCR
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Wii
Logitech Harmony 700 (not pictured)

My-MartinLogan-HomeTheater-01.jpg

My-MartinLogan-HomeTheater-03.jpg

My-MartinLogan-HomeTheater-04.jpg

My-MartinLogan-HomeTheater-05.jpg

My-MartinLogan-HomeTheater-06.jpg

Stuff on the A/V rack:
Lord of the Rings Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set Argonath, Gollum, and Minas Tirith sculptures
Domo
LittleBigPlanet 2 Collectors Edition bookends and Sackboy.
Killzone 3 Helghast Edition helmet and sniper figure
God of War 3 Ultimate Edition Pandora's box
Grand Theft Auto 4 Limited Edition lock box

I'm a first time owner of MartinLogan products in March of 2011 when I picked up the ML Source and Encore TF for my home theater. I won the EM ESL's in the Ask Professor Vojtko Contest that ran during April - May 2011. What can I say? I <3 MartinLogan now!

Next up are some acoustic panels, Emotiva XPA-5, and one of these days I want to get one of ML's Electrostatic center channels.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club Ryan! Looks like a great room for relaxing in! Yes, I agree with room treatments, one of the best upgrades you can do....

Welcome Ryan... very cool that you won the contest - not very many of us can say that. Enjoy that free transduction while you can... 'cause ML Love = upgraditus ;)

Thanks guys! I've been looking into Acoustic Panels and Foam tiles the last few days. I'm trying to track down some affordable ones as it seems like everything else that gets attached to audio/video the price sky rockets. I did find a few cheap places so I might have to make an order soon. I'll be adding some art to the walls too, I got my eye on some Pieter Bruegel the Elder reproduction paintings. :meditate:

I know about upgraditus. LOL I've been looking at a new receiver lately. My current one is from 2000-2001 or so and lacks some of the newer features like HDMI switching and Room Correction Software/EQ.

Last edited:
I got these cheap, but very effective acoustic panels from amazon. not that attractive to look at either, but I'm using it im my HT room and because they are dark in color, it works for me.

I don't think you can find anything cheaper> I got mine for $35 each, but some other dude there is selling them for $40. If you try hard enough, you may find the same deal. I was skeptic of the cheap price, but when I hung them up (3 of them) I was truly amazed!

cheap acoustic panels

For my 2 ch room (living room) I will be getting much nicer looking ones made of fiber glass and dying the fabric so my photographs are on them (actually, will be making them). But they'll be much more expensive.

Good luck!

Wow those are reasonably priced! Thanks for the link. How do you go about attaching those to the wall?

Welcome T'ch0rT. Nice-looking system.

Live long and prosper!

Last edited:
I moved my stuff over to be more symmetrical with the room. Before it was slightly over to the right. I also added some Auralex DST-114 foam tiles. I picked up 32 1'x1' 2" foam tiles for $60. I'm only using 12 right now. The foam tiles seemed to tame some of the high end harshness (mostly only noticeable in metal). Here's some quick pics I got with my phone. Now I need to make an order to Monoprice to get some longer cables so I can hide the wires. I moved everything but the A/V rack and now more wires are visible. ugh I hate cable management...

IMG_20111001_121757.jpg

IMG_20111001_121813.jpg

I am thinking about adding 3 more to each side (4x4 instead of 2x3) to make them wider.

You should get rid of the center channel before you upgrade the receiver because the encore does not go well with the stats

Yeah that's in the plans. I just need to find one of their ESL centers at the right price. To be fair the Encore is decent though, especially for $200.

Yeah I like the Encore. I think its great.

Dang that's a good deal. After I wrote you I looked around and found a good deal at guitar center. They were also selling 32 1' x 1' for $99.99 but they are also including that adhesive stuff with it. So I bought that. If I need more Ill hit up amazon. Maybe I will anyways just because the price is so good.

From the Amazon reviews you don't want to use the adhesive that comes with the kit. It apparently smells and rips hunks of drywall out of the wall when you want to remove them. I bought some double sided tape rated for 2 lbs and put a little bit in each corner.

Update:

ht-may-2012.jpg

Added:
Mitsubishi WD-73640
IKEA Lack TV Unit
32 sq ft of Auralex DST-114

Next up, cable management and new center channel.

Last edited:
Back