Inexpensive laser measuring tool

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
For years I've used the old fashioned tape measure (and digital protractor) for setting up my ML's. As Jim Smith emphasizes in his excellent book "Get Better Sound," even small differences in asymmetry (both in positioning and rake angle) can make a large difference in soundstage, imaging, and tonality. Jim recommends using a laser measuring tool, but they have been fairly expensive in the past. I just discovered an inexpensive model from Bosch, which seems perfect for us audiophools! It can be mounted on a tripod, to facilitate exact measurements from a reference point. Only $80 (with shipping) at Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DLR130K...9QBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307978939&sr=8-1

I'm not sure how well the laser will reflect off the panel, but if necessary, can always tape a piece of cardboard to the panel. I just ordered one, and if anybody else is looking for one of these, they have a couple more in stock. I look forward to precisely dialing-in my Summits next week!

Last edited:
FYI, the laser (and sensor) in the Bosch measuring device referenced above is actually offset from the units center (as is the tripod mount). Therefore, if using a tripod, do NOT use the actual tripod mount. Instead, secure the device on it's side so the laser and sensor are truly centered on the rotational axis of the tripod (see pic). Otherwise you'll get erroneous measurements when swiveling the laser to measure each speaker.

This doesn't necessarily apply if you are using a fixed front or back wall as your reference measuring point.

Bosch (Small).JPG

Last edited:
If you are cheap (like me) go to Home Depot and pick up something similar for around $14.00. Probably not as accruate but I only use mine two or three times a year and it seem to work very well.

I just "recalibrated" my speaker placement to within ~1/8" of one another referenced to my "sweet spot" (using the tripod). Trust me, you really want such accuracy if at all possible.

I just "recalibrated" my speaker placement to within ~1/8" of one another referenced to my "sweet spot" (using the tripod). Trust me, you really want such accuracy if at all possible.

I agree that this is a very useful tool. I have used it many times and have found it much more accurate than my previous attempts. Also, check out Jim Smith's new DVD and see him in action.

Glen

Here's a better "tweak" for easier "rotational" laser measurement with the Bosch DLR130.

Glue a threaded nut that's the properly sized for your tripod onto the back center of the device. You can then tripod-mount the laser at a central "sweet spot" reference point, and rotate it left and right towards each speaker while precisely positioning them. This approach eliminates the measurement error that would result if you used the off-center mount. It also eliminates any error that would result from using non-square walls as a reference point for speaker placement. However, after using the laser for precise placement, you can then record their distance to the wall for future reference. Turns out, in my family/listening room, the wall behind the speakers slopes back about 1" from left to right.

TripodLaserMeasure (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Back