The Commitments / Soundtrack

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Artist / Title: The Commitments / Soundtrack
Year of Release: 1991
Record Label: MCA Records
Genre: Soul / R&B

From the original motion picture soundtrack, "The Commitments" CD is exciting and extremely well made. "The Commitments", cover songs by Al Green & Mabon Hodges’s, “Take Me To The River” to Otis Redding & Steve Cropper’s, “Mr. Pitiful” to Wilson Pickett & Steve Cropper’s “In The Midnight Hour”. This CD is large on “Soul”, Irish style...:D It is so much fun to sing to in the car on the way to work, but also played through terrific ML speakers, as well. It is hard, not to picture the film’s actors, in your minds eye as you listen to the songs, but that’s just fine as this CD exudes “Soul” from every song and every note played.
"The Commitments" were auditioned to act & sing by, Alan Parker, for the film, as well as, principle vocalists for the CD. I thought, Alan Parker made a wonderful, entertaining and delightful film as well. The vocalists (actors / actresses) are marvelous performed by: Robert Arkins, Michael Aheme, Angeline Ball, Maria Doyle, Dave Finnegan, Bronagh Gallagher, Felim Gormley, Glen Hansard, Dick Massey, Kenneth McClusky, Johnny Murphy, and Andrew Strong. Believe it or not, Anderw Strong, the lead singer was only 16 yrs. old when chosen for this role in the film and as lead singer, for his amazing vocals...

Although, the actors did not actually play their instruments (with the exception of Felim Gomely on alto sax), they sang, all most all, of the songs for this CD.
The instruments in the band were played by: Conor Brady on guitar, Fran Breehan on drums, Paul Bushnell on bass, Ronan Dooney on trumpet, Eamann Flynn on keyboards, Carl Geraghty on tenor & baritone sax, and Felim Garmley on alto sax. This band was awesome and really did a soulful performance for this excellent CD soundtrack.

My favorite songs on this CD are: “Chain Of Fools”, “I Never Loved A Man” and “In The Midnight Hour”. Soulful was what Alan Parker was looking for when he brought this band together, and soulful is what he accomplished in fine soul / R&B fashion. I thoroughly enjoy this great CD, every chance I get…:D

*** As a side note: I loved all of the songs on this CD soundtrack so much, that I went out and purchased the follow-up CD, “More Of The Commitments”, which covers all of the rest of the songs from the film.

I highly recommend, “The Commitments” soundtrack CD, as a soulful addition to your musical collection. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• B000002OGL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B000002OGL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
I agree on everything said above and would like to add a recommendation along those same lines.
Also available is a Commitments disc with all the origional tracks by the origional artist.
The recording quality isn't always great but the coolness factor more than makes up for it.
Listening to Otis Redding do "Try a Little Tenderness" and "Too Hot to Handle" makes Andrew Strong sound like a 16 year old and The Black Crows sound like wanna-bes.

The Commitments...

I have been wondering where they all are now? These wonderful players got together for this wonderful film and soundtrack but I wonder what became of everyone? :confused:

I know several of the female actresses are continuing to work, mostly in the Irish film / TV industry... I still wonder about what could have been when it comes to "The Commitments". :D :p :D

Latest posts

Back