System #396 (Scenario)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazikiwi

Reaction score
1. Member Name: F Jeff

2. Location: Middle Earth, New Zealand

3. ML Model(s): Scenario

4. Year Purchased: 2003

5. Mods/Changes: none

6. Associated Electronics: Burmester 939 CD, Burmester 846 pre amp, Burmester 878 power amp, Burmester cables

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: So this system started life in a larger library than our current home and it positively sang in that space. However despite its ‘compact’ conditions today, its German HiFi DNA shines through these small Martin Logans.

I put this system together for my German wife accepting that it was not my choice of audio signature but as an exercise to create a system with a ‘personality’ that reflects aspects that Germans favour in their HiFi and music listening. Culturally speaking Germans favour transparency, microscopic detail, analytical exposure.........you get the sonic picture........so I feel Dieter Burmester best embodies those attributes in his equipment. The preamp has a matching phono unit if required and was such a beautifully executed slim design in its day in the mid ‘80s, I just had to have it. The power amp can be bridged if required but it drives the ML Scenarios with ease and more than enough current to ensure absolute control. The CD player has an onboard DAC for other external digital sources.

The sound? Well the Martin Logans reveal exactly the chain driving them, in this case we have a total lack of colouration, just a clean, transparent, detailed presentation. My wife loves it, especially piano pieces recorded in the late ‘50s which I find interesting due to their warm ‘analogue’ nature on CD. Her girlfriends like the clarity of ‘the sound’ as well and I suspect the smallness of the ML Scenarios...... go figure. For me, this system is almost too hifi like, yet when I go to live classical concerts, I don’t hear the instruments like this, I hear the warm timbre of wood and wind instruments ‘pushing air’ in the hall............but this might be a subjective observation on my part.

I really do believe that different cultures look for quite different attributes when it comes to hifi and music reproduction but Martin Logans are a ‘clean window’ to be able to showcase these despite the differences.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,308
Alles klar meine Dame?

So these 'modest' ML Scenarios are somewhat constrained in this room but there is more than enough 'damping' to break up reflections. Not optimal but nonetheless my wife is happy with 'her' system.

Attachments

• DSC_0109.jpg
    DSC_0109.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,622
Last edited:
Ein Zimmer mit schoenen blick

Actually, these Scenarios started life as centre speakers in the Home Theatre but have 'migrated' to this system. Ideal for apartment living with such a small footprint and the WAF is high (in this case). If only I could shoehorn my second Michell Transcriptor turntable in here somehow!

Certainly enjoyable with a glass of wine late in the day, reading, listening to music and watching the sun go down with our feet up in such a cosy space.

Attachments

• DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,183
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back