Munich Hi-End 2011 Hi-Fi Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like tubes and DIY all issues of Sound Practices can be bought from him on ebay for cca 20 EUR (on a CD).
Worthy of reading.

Yup I have heard of it and read a few issues. Here's a vid from said room. One more of the speakers to come but it is a big upload.

Last edited:
Here's just a few of the Transrotors... I'm sure you can get the details from their website. There must have been 15 odd TRs in one room - here's a few though I have pics of the lot - real media overkill!!!:)

Attachments

• SDC12899-qpr.jpg
    SDC12899-qpr.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 783
  • SDC12897-qpr.jpg
    SDC12897-qpr.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 814
  • SDC12898-qpr.jpg
    SDC12898-qpr.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 790
  • SDC12896-qpr.jpg
    SDC12896-qpr.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 790
  • SDC12902-qpr.jpg
    SDC12902-qpr.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 802
A few more TRs...

Attachments

• SDC12907-qpr.jpg
    SDC12907-qpr.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 839
  • SDC12908-qpr.jpg
    SDC12908-qpr.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 770
  • SDC12909-qpr.jpg
    SDC12909-qpr.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 827
  • SDC12912-qpr.jpg
    SDC12912-qpr.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 782
  • SDC12913-qpr.jpg
    SDC12913-qpr.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 789
Last edited:
Devialet D-Premier room and some Magicos - I was pretty underwhelmed by this when in there. There where some Magicos performing much better in another room coming up next.

Attachments

• SDC12920-qpr.jpg
    SDC12920-qpr.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 810
  • SDC12921-qpr.jpg
    SDC12921-qpr.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 803
  • SDC12922-qpr.jpg
    SDC12922-qpr.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 883
This is the best I have ever heard a pair of Magicos sound - the M3s in this and the last case. In the former case, the system was just bubbling over almost as an afterthought, with a lot of Devialet kit just sitting on top of a table. Most people seemed to be looking at that - at least when I was in there.

Here, though, the M3s sounded fab playing Beat Hotel by Alan Taylor - as identified by Shazam - great track and worth tracking down if you haven't heard it. I even stuck around to here a few more tracks - a good sign:) Lots of expensive Soulution kit in here. Great system - but a mad price. Really, it needed to be quite a bit better to justify this kind of outlay. But it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

Attachments

• SDC12870-qpr.jpg
    SDC12870-qpr.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 762
  • SDC12869-qpr.jpg
    SDC12869-qpr.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 806
  • SDC13327-qpr.jpg
    SDC13327-qpr.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 798
  • SDC13328-qpr.jpg
    SDC13328-qpr.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 767
OK - more for tube fans out there - in the form of brand new made in Germany (like really - not subcontracted to China) 211s and 845s. These are not quite available yet and what you see here are prototypes. 400 Euros each, I am told. That is quite steep for 211s as NOS ones can be had for less. For 845s, NOS ones cannot be had for anything like 400 Euros - so possibly not so expensive after all. Unless you are content with Chinese ones. Which some will be considering the cost difference.

Plugged into the Cayin amp pictured, and playing through the Voxativ speakers, I felt I couldn't assess the tube's performance. Better speakers would be required for that - the Voxativ's, possibly using Lowther drivers looking at them, just didn't do it for me. To assess them properly, they'd really need to sit in my amps for a few hours:)

Attachments

• SDC12989-qpr.jpg
    SDC12989-qpr.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 486
  • SDC12988-qpr.jpg
    SDC12988-qpr.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 488
  • SDC12995-qpr.jpg
    SDC12995-qpr.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 488
  • SDC12996-qpr.jpg
    SDC12996-qpr.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 491
Big old PMCs - these Muthas can really shift some air, and do scale. They're really very good. Anti-WAF factor high. DOA - divorce on arrival. Powered by Bryston - but they actually sounded pretty good driven by them. I liked the sound a lot, just can't stand the looks of them!!!:)

Attachments

• SDC13013-qpr.jpg
    SDC13013-qpr.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,876
  • SDC13011-qpr.jpg
    SDC13011-qpr.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 490
  • SDC13012.jpg
    SDC13012.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 490
Looks like purple haze time with Vivid Audio, Acoustic Signature TT and an American appearance from VTL. Maybe it was the VTL amps making the Vivids sound better than I remember them in Hong Kong. Maybe not. But definately not as good as a VTL/Focal combo I heard at Silverstone 2010. Better VTLs there, though.

There's not much in the way of precise model descriptions and costings in this report. If anything strikes your eye, I'm sure you can discover the facts for yourselves. I simply have too much media to take the time to describe it all in detail.

Attachments

• SDC13024-qpr.jpg
    SDC13024-qpr.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 486
  • SDC13027-qpr.jpg
    SDC13027-qpr.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 488
  • SDC13025-qpr.jpg
    SDC13025-qpr.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 490
  • SDC13026-qpr.jpg
    SDC13026-qpr.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 491
  • SDC13023-qpr.jpg
    SDC13023-qpr.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 487
Uploaded at last. Neolithic internet speeds in this part of the UK don't help. Well worth a watch in HD if you like your horns - click on the YouTube bit in the box below then select the HD 720P resolution.

Last edited:
Some good horns from Musique-Concrete Musique-Concrete . I really liked these - more huge soundstaging - alive and vibrant, free and easy "not even trying" and delivering true musical enjoyment. Good speakers. Video came out quite well too - will add tomoz.

Attachments

• SDC13032-qpr.jpg
    SDC13032-qpr.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Camera battery ran out during the filming of this:( So it is short. Not the best source for exposing just how good they were, either. Not that the camera mic is anything to go by - far from it.

Anyway sounds like that track was live:D

Last edited:
Justin,

Are you faimiliar with the stateside term "horny"? Beause I get the feeling that's what you've become regarding horns.

BTW, huge appreciation for your taking the time to post pics, vids, and commentary - Thank you!

Cheers

Justin,

Are you faimiliar with the stateside term "horny"? Beause I get the feeling that's what you've become regarding horns.

BTW, huge appreciation for your taking the time to post pics, vids, and commentary - Thank you!

Cheers

Todd - actually whilst I find horns interesting, there are very few I'd actually want to own. The best are usually huge, coloured quite a bit and simply won't cope well with the sort of music I like. In the case of the Musique-Concrete above, you need to be stood up to listen to them. Or have and very high chair. They are unquestionably coloured to my mind. But they still sounded great if that makes any sense.

The AG Trios + basshorns on the other hand didn't sound coloured. Just right. Best performing horns there.

Aside from that, when I got home, and fired up the Duettas, I just thought "awesome!" - always a good sign. I had a public PM a couple of days ago from a guy who bought some Duettas from San Francisco, is getting them shipped to Graz in Australia, then on to his home in Singapore. All apparently as a result of listening to my mutterings on this forum. Here's hoping I don't get hate mail soon:D

Getting the horn is NOT an Americanism. Don't forget English dudes were around before you lot, have been there before you, and are generally much wiser/hipper! Hell, we even look better:)

Anyway, there's shed loads more to come...:)

Last edited:
I've only heard horns a few times and have come away thinking "coloration"... maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to hear the AG Trios.

And I doubt very seriously you'll be getting any hatemail from that Singaporian. Quite the opposite I predict.

The balance of your commentary appears to have been corrupted during transmission since much of it does not map in any way to reality ;)

Look fwd to your continued coverage!

The bass skins look like kevlar close up from the outside. But sort of like a cloth version of kevlar. I wanna know what/how the push/pulling is done.

Justin, I was just thinking that drums are skins, so what better to reproduce them than skins. Of course, bass is more than just drums.

Todd,

I think the Brits use the term "randy" more than "horny".

And yes, thank you for the pics Justin.

Back