Terminal Tweaks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Posted by zanash on February 25, 2003 at 23:52:39:
Tweaks for Aerius i mkII
"...Just change the link between the hi and lo freq. speaker terminals, for a small length of your fave speaker cable. Alternatively make a suitable link from flattened copper pipe, cut and shape using a dremel type tool. (these are actually still on my work bench but I'll update when fitted)"

i have an interesting situation...would it work the same on my aerius i's as well....as i have had the 2nd gen panels put in my Ai's. but as i read your posting...you just take out the 'horseshoe' connectors at the back of the speakers that came with it..and use a small piece of speaker cables to connect the two rather than that piece of 'metal'? is that correct?
i just want to be sure...im REALLY cautious with my speakers...not all of us can afford another set as fast as we would like..:) but with time/patience we will overcome!
:D

That is exactly correct.
If you can use the exact same cable as your main speaker runs.

:eek:

O....M....G...what a hugeass difference!!!
why isnt this 'tip' in the manual??? wow..and to think i tolerated all that muddy sound previously...its like i bought whole new speakers...wheeeee! :D

...added to Aerius i manual....
'the bridge that comes with the speakers, sucks ass, throw it away, use your own speaker cable to bridge the two, ty, please drive thru'

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, why haven't some of you ever purchased speaker cables that are bi-wired?

SugarMedia said:
Out of curiousity, why haven't some of you ever purchased speaker cables that are bi-wired?

I have tried it, but I didn't find the change significant enough. I prefer having very good shot-gunned cables on the panels and using good quality jumpers to the bass unit.

biwired speakers

yeah..ive always wondered if there is enough of a difference to make the purchase..they are quite pricey..for cables anyway...not trying to be thrify or anything..but just not looking to spend money thats not really gonna do anything for me/my setup.

Could someone post a picture of this? I've misplaced my connectors and am interested in trying this setup instead of my current bi-wires.

thanks

ASLayerAODsk said:
yeah..ive always wondered if there is enough of a difference to make the purchase..they are quite pricey..for cables anyway...not trying to be thrify or anything..but just not looking to spend money thats not really gonna do anything for me/my setup.

What do you mean with 'they are quite pricey'? Which cables do you mean?

I assume this will improve things with SL3s?

yes, i took out my jumpers and used the same speaker cable for my run and this improved the sound quite a bit.

Prior to this i had a 12 awg going to the bottom post and a 16 awg going to the top and the sound what horrible. tiny, bright.. just nasty!

I think with electrostats the gauge used for the top post should be equal to or great then the bottom.

yes, i took out my jumpers and used the same speaker cable for my run and this improved the sound quite a bit.

Prior to this i had a 12 awg going to the bottom post and a 16 awg going to the top and the sound what horrible. tiny, bright.. just nasty!

I think with electrostats the gauge used for the top post should be equal to or great then the bottom.

I removed the jumpers and replaced with 12AWG wire same as used to connect the amp to the SL3. No change and I am a conservatory degreed musician with a trained ear (relative pitch). What interests me is this phenomenon of wire gauge, brands, length etc. When tested provided no audible difference. $1000+ per 10ft speaker wire vs. $50.00 wire. No difference.

Hi HG,

If you can't hear the difference between the garbage ML jumpers and good quality speaker wire and if you can't hear the difference between 10' of $50 speaker wire and 10' of $1,000 wire, may I suggest, with all due respect, that something is wrong.

I had the SL3 for some five years and have done all the things you have tried with audible positive results so I'm a bit confused.

When you say "when tested", who tested and under what circumstances?

GG

Hello Gordon,
I purchase a pair of 10ft $500.00 audioquest speaker wires and compared them to the 12awg that I purchased at Monoprice. No audiable difference. I was in our local Best Buy to demo a pair of ML Vantage and the sales rep was adamant about the difference in wire, so in front of me and several others, he compared Audioquest with monster (12awg) and none of us heard a difference, *but* he did. I have great ears and can pick out small nuances in a 100 piece choir, etc, etc. I would say my ears are above average. Perhaps the change in sound is somewhat due to the environment and not neccessarliy the wire used (at least in this case). I too have researched this multiple times, but yet to hear the difference. I'm sure there would be a noticable difference with walmart grade wire and the others. At this point I have not noticed any difference with my current Monoprice 12awg and the use of the same wire as a jumper in comparison to the jumper clips. I'm confident that there is nothing wrong with my hearing, but am curious about this and just emailed ML for thier take on this. More to follow.

Hi HG,

Not doubting your hearing ability. Just that your observations are a bit different than mine and others who have played the "wire game".

I would suggest that differences may be more obvious with a system that is "tuned in" and optimized to the room.

Best,

Gordon

At this point I have placed the SL3 4ft from all walls-front and side- (originally 2-3ft) and *that* was a big difference! Alive and spacious. I moved furniture to continue working with placement and I now have what I was looking for. The room has a balance between solid surfaces and absorbing surfaces. The imaging is fantastic. Everything from vocal Jazz (Diane Shur), to Bach, to Van Halen. Simply awesome. I still have the 12awg jumpers and don’t plan on replacing them with stock jumpers, but I will give the upper level wire another try. Although nothing has given me justification for the additional expense and the fact that I am not hearing any changes, I do believe there may be something going on to justify the many people who shell out large amounts of funds for speaker wire.

Latest posts

Back