clsIIz modifications step by step

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Tom, would you leave this post in the main discussion forum for a little while?

Since you're from Madison, I'll cut you some slack. :eek: I've re-directed to the Tweaks forum with a 3 month re-direct. - Tom.

Tim has documented the following most important mods for the clsIIz speaker. Thanks go to Tim for doing the work using his specialized electronics skills. He is a gifted enthusiast and a great resource. His email is on the first page.

Thanks go to Brad225 for supplying the schematics.

Here is the step by step instruction set for:

Inductor installation
Bypassing the switch
Large Bybee mods

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/clsiiz/

Regards

Duke

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Tom, would you leave this post in the main discussion forum for a little while?

Tim has documented the following most important mods for the clsIIz speaker. Thanks go to Tim for doing the work using his specialized electronics skills. He is a gifted enthusiast and a great resource. His email is on the first page.

Inductor installation
Bypassing the switch
Large Bybee mods

Regards

Duke

NICE WORK, HOWEVER YOU'LL BE MUCH BETTER OFF SOLDERING YOUR SPEAKER CABLE (COMING FROM YOUR POWER AMP) DIRECTLY TO THE BYBEE'S, BYPASSING THE BINDING POSTS ALTOGETHER, THEN YOUR CLS'S WILL BE ABLE TO GO 20 PERCENT LOUDER THEN BEFORE, CLICK ON THE LINK http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340

I would imagine this could be implemented in a CLS 1 crossover with some awareness of whats different !

So, what are the improvements you hear with this upgrade in place?

.....That is, aside from the uptick in output?

I'm curious if I should try this with my CLS IIz's.
Also, have you happened to take a gander at the similar type of upgrade being marketed by a dude in Audiogon? I'm curious if it is the same type of thing or if it is yet another parts upgrade that is not addressed by this one!

TIA,
Ray

Inductor installation
Bypassing the switch
Large Bybee mods

Regards

Duke

.....That is, aside from the uptick in output?

I'm curious if I should try this with my CLS IIz's.
Also, have you happened to take a gander at the similar type of upgrade being marketed by a dude in Audiogon? I'm curious if it is the same type of thing or if it is yet another parts upgrade that is not addressed by this one!

TIA,
Ray

Hi--

I'm Tim -- the most recently posted link for the CLS IIz mods is part of my website. Duke is a good friend of mine and I'm uniquely privileged that Duke lets me poke around his equipment, take pictures and see what's inside. Any excuse to warm up the soldering iron is a good excuse in my book! I have added a new page for replacement capacitors; perhaps this is similar to the upgrade you mention from Audiogon?

The modification pictorials I wrote I think are relatively straightforward. The most difficult parts may be where to purchase the materials and the vendors should be listed. If anyone has any questions or need clarification of any steps I've done, I'm happy to elaborate and update my pages.

Regarding soldering the speaker cables directly to the board -- it may be a very viable mod for some. It does however make it somewhat more arduous to try different cables if that's something you do often.

Thinking a little outside the box -- it might be interesting to have a configuration where the ML electronics are paired with the amp (of your choice) directly or by very short cable and the HV leads (red, blue, black) to the panel are extended. I can't think of any existing speaker cable that I've seen that would be appropriate -- three conductor, high voltage, etc. Could be a terrible idea, but just a thought.

--Tim

Here's my contribution. Simple effective mods to the power supply board. Changing all electrolytic capacitors for (THE BEST) Black Gate's and Elna silmic II. Sorry if they look too big for the board in the photo, but i zoomed in on the replacement caps so you could read their values.......

Attachments

• CAPSPIC (1000 x 750).jpg.jpg
    CAPSPIC (1000 x 750).jpg.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,347
Last edited:
dear tom, would you leave this post in the main discussion forum for a little while?

since you're from madison, i'll cut you some slack. :eek: i've re-directed to the tweaks forum with a 3 month re-direct. - tom.

tim has documented the following most important mods for the clsiiz speaker. Thanks go to tim for doing the work using his specialized electronics skills. He is a gifted enthusiast and a great resource. His email is on the first page.

Thanks go to brad225 for supplying the schematics.

Inductor installation
bypassing the switch
large bybee mods

regards

duke

duke,
as you should already know i'm in the middle of modding my cls iiz using the finest parts available. Do you notice any downside with using the goertz 12 awg foil inductor in your cls's? Any negative changes to the sound quality or even changes with driving the speaker? I'm deciding between using smaller 16 awg or larger 12 awg goertz inductor. I'm particularly concerned that by using the larger gauge i will be rolling off the treble slightly,

Back