Real Time Analyzer - Windows - Recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZephyr

Reaction score
Does anybody out there use a software real time analyzer for room tuning, speaker placement, etc? It must be Windows based, I don't care if this means that I am a moron or that a Mac version is a billion times better, it must be Windows based. I would also appreciate recommendations for a microphone for use in conjunction.

Does anybody out there use a software real time analyzer for room tuning, speaker placement, etc? It must be Windows based, I don't care if this means that I am a moron or that a Mac version is a billion times better, it must be Windows based. I would also appreciate recommendations for a microphone for use in conjunction.

I use REW. You'll find it at hometheatershack (dot) com. :rocker:

The other option is the newcomer, Dayton Omnimic, which sells for ~$300 via Parts Express. Like XTZ, which I also own, it's child's play to setup and use. Just started using it and so can't adequately compare, yet.

Omnimic sale!

Helluva deal on the Dayton Omnimic going on right now. $248 shipped is more than $100 savings from the regular price. A terrific tool for evaluating your system, setting up subs, etc. etc. I own both this and the XTZ and much prefer the Omnimic.

Google Dayton Omnimic and you're there.

+1 on the Omnimic package at that price.

I use REW, R+D and Smaart for acoustics, plus a firewire audio interface with pro-mic inputs. For mics I have three, a DBX, a Naiant and the Audyssey Pro kit mic.

The use of any of these measurement tool is critical to helping you tune your setup.

Learning how to measure and interpret is the next step, this article might help.

... I own both this and the XTZ and much prefer the Omnimic...

I own XTZ and used if for several months, but this was a while ago. Can you summarize how OmniMic compares to XTZ? What features did you feel it had that were most advantageous?

There are now TWO upgraded versions of XTZ available, one "standard" and the other "pro". Both have a better mic, and updated software, vs. the original kit (which still suits my needs).

I own XTZ and used if for several months, but this was a while ago. Can you summarize how OmniMic compares to XTZ? What features did you feel it had that were most advantageous?
DC, the two most significant issues were:

1) The XTZ will only measure with a resolution of 6ppo. Fine for frequencies above transition, woefully inadequate for properly identifying problems @ frequencies below. You really need minimum 24ppo and 48 is even better. A quick read of the new XTZ II products appears to show the same limitation

2) The way the XTZ (non-Pro) is constructed makes it difficult to use a proper mic stand, which I feel is important in order to a) minimize vibration and b) achieve repeatable mic location in order to compare measurements taken now vs. say, a month ago. I had to purchase an extension cable to separate the mic from the XTZ "stand" so that I could put it into a real mic stand and, even then, the tiny mic won't fit any standard mic holder.

Also, Nyal Mellor/Jeff Hedbeck's paper on optimal 2ch conditions/measurements got me interested in the importance of Energy Time Curve (ETC) measurements. Omnimic will measure ETC, XTZ will not.

Now, having said all this, the XTZ will measure and average multiple locations and Omnimic will not. Also, XTZ will, after measurement, provide PEQ filter values and Omnimic will not. But....I've had XTZ indicate "no modes found" many times when the measurements clearly show that they're there, so the value of this feature is, IMHO, questionable and it's childsplay to calculate filters from the measurements anyway.

Finally, the new XTZ II models have a nifty time-alignment feature, useful for precisely setting delay/distance for mains and sub(s). Omnimic can never do this, since signals are generated via CD and time from signal generation to arrival @ mic can't be calculated.

I'm sure there are more differences, pro and con, but these are the ones important to me.

There are now TWO upgraded versions of XTZ available, one "standard" and the other "pro". Both have a better mic, and updated software, vs. the original kit (which still suits my needs).
Hi Alan! Do you know of anyone who's loaded the new XTZ II software and used it with an original XTZ? There was some discussion @ AVS about this, but no conclusion. I'd love to use the speaker timing feature, but I don't want to be the guinea pig for software compatibility. ;-)

/Ken

I briefly tried that, but the software would not detect the mic. Probably would not have been precise anyways, as the calibration of the two mics is probably different. I haven't had time to research this further.

Kal Rubinson "Music in the Round" just wrote on this subject (mostly the OmniMic) in the November 2011 issue of Stereophile.

Undoubtedly a highly naive question but if I buy the Integra DHC 80.2 and add on an Audyssey Pro kit, or buy an Anthem D2v, do I still need Omnimic or XTZ or REW? What will I lose if I just use the Audyssey Pro or D2v measurement system/software and mic?

Undoubtedly a highly naive question but if I buy the Integra DHC 80.2 and add on an Audyssey Pro kit, or buy an Anthem D2v, do I still need Omnimic or XTZ or REW? What will I lose if I just use the Audyssey Pro or D2v measurement system/software and mic?
The measurement kits which come with Aud Pro or D2V will be used in any case. Omni/XTZ/REW would be used to verify actual results. Also, these third party tools perform a variety of useful functions well beyond anything provided with the AVR, e.g. bass decay, ETC (Energy Time Decay), RT60, impulse response, distortion, etc. etc., depending upon which you choose, with REW providing the most functionality (and the highest learning curve).

Kal Rubinson "Music in the Round" just wrote on this subject (mostly the OmniMic) in the November 2011 issue of Stereophile.
Which is now viewable online here. Note that additional functionality has been added to the Omnimic since Kal's review, and the developer has promised multi-channel support this year. Firmware updates have been free, dunno about the multi-channel DVD when released. I suspect there will be a nominal charge from PE.

Ken, how do you get on the list for Omnimic updates? I sent them a note and received no response.

Ken, how do you get on the list for Omnimic updates? I sent them a note and received no response.
Bernard, so far, all update announcements have come via the AVS thread. Bill also provided a link for new tracks - I think there are 16 or so, now, though I've not used them as I only use tracks 2 and 4 (i.e. original CD). In the AVS thread, Bill advised just a couple of days ago that the updated tracks will ultimately come via DVD directly from Parts Express, but didn't say when or how.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1293353

FYI, I've found the PE forum to be not as useful as the AVS thread for things Omnimic.

/Ken

New Omnimic SW

Bill Waslo has released a new software version which adds a pile of cool new features:

Features in this version:
  • Automatic (or manual) equalization parameter export to MiniDSP, can work on average responses at multiple seating positions.
  • Built-in Z-Axis offset calculator for determining depth differences between tweeters and midranges, allows accurate crossover design.
  • text notes can be added onto Snapshot files for publishing online
  • Speech Transmission Index (STI) and RASTI calculated in the Energy Time Curve display.
  • Dual tone sine/square wave generator for computer soundcard
  • Zooming, smoothing, and multiple curves in the ETC plot.
  • Can download microphone calibration files directly from the web.
  • Longer time lengths supported in waterfalls and Wavelet spectrograms for room analysis
  • 690msec WAV file export for impulse responses
  • Phase display in Added Curves
  • Easy curve splicing (such as joining tweeter and woofer curves) for display
  • New math function for main curve: vector sum with data from saved FRD files, with delay adjustment
  • Compatible with V1 or V2 hardware
Download here:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...cInstall.exe&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13419341372623

^^

Sweet set of new features, will need to get one at some point for my planned miniDSP-based office desktop system (Monsoon M1000 panels + Tymphany LAT250 line-array mid-bass + 12" subwoofer)

Latest posts

Back