Wyred4Sound SX1000 Mkii Class D Monoblocks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Amp Manufacturer: Wyred 4 Sound (Made in the USA!)
Model: SX-1000
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $2,400
Used market average price: about $2,000
Basic Specs (watts, etc.): 570W into 8 Ohms. 1140W into 4 Ohms (see below for more details)
What ML speakers are you driving with this amp: Summit X

wyred4sound-sx-1000-pic1-tn.jpg

The best amps that I have owned and they are not even broken in.

When I purchaased my first pair of MLs, I fell in love with their open and airy sound. Since owning MLs (Sources to Vistas to Summit Xs), I have had an Anthem A2 stereo amp, Theta Digital Enterprise monoblocks and now Wyred4Sound SX-1000 Class D monoblocks.

The biggest draw backs that I have experienced with MLs follow: (1) sterile/cold sound, (2) narrow soundstage, and (3) lack of deep bass. Each progression from Sources, to Vistas, to Summit Xs alleviated (but not eliminated) each of the above issues. Stepping from Sources to Vistas made a huge difference. Bass was drastically improved, but still lacking at low levels. I would describe the Vistas bass as punchy. Stepping rom the Anthem to the Thetas with the Vistas made another huge jump. The Thetas were less clinical than the Anthem. Also the soundstage seemed to triple in size.

When I purchased the Summit Xs, the music really became more life like. While the Vistas have a great sound, the midrange seems to dominate. The Summit Xs were significantly more balanced and life like. However, with the Thetas I still felt the music was a little cold and distant, especially at high volumes.

I read or heard that Class D amps were almost chameleon like in that they adopted the sound of your other components, so I decided to give them a try. Previously (when I still owned the Anthem/Vistas), I bought a Rogue tube preamp in an attempt to warm up the sound and to get even more air out of the speakers. The Rogue made a big difference over my previous Anthem TLP-1 preamp. It was as significant as any step up in amp or speakers. But when paired with the Thetas, the Rogue took a back seat to the Thetas sound. While it was much better than the Anthem/Rogue sound, it was not exactly what I was looking for.

My latest quest for the perfect combination introduced the SX-1000s. The SX-1000s allow me to hear the Rogue in its full glory. Compared to with the Thetas, the system with the SX-1000s sounds more liquid, warm and inviting. Without even being broken it, I love the SX-1000s. Right now I cannot find a fault, but admittedly I need more time to analyze (critique).

Another benefit of the SX-1000s is the power. I often like to listen at concert levels so power has always been a must. The Anthem was no light weight and the Thetas were rated at an impressive 350W/8ohms. The SX-1000s howver are rated at mindboggling 570W/8Ohms and 1140W/4Ohms. Power should not be an issue.

The most recent review of the Summit Xs in TAS stated that any amp used with the speakers should have a high Damping Factor. The SX is rated at 2000. Damping Factor should not be an issue.

Thus far the SX-1000s appear to be a perfect match for my listening tastes. I will update after I break in the amps and have some more hours of listening logged.

SX -1000 SPECIFICATIONS
Typical THD+N 8Ω (10W out)
0.0055%
Power Output 8Ω @ 0.2% THD+N
570W
Power Output 8Ω @ 1.0% THD+N
625W
Power Output 4Ω @ 0.2% THD+N
1,140W
Power Output 4Ω @ 1.0% THD+N
1,225W
IMD (CCIF)
0.0005%
Transient Intermodulation (TIM)
0.005%
Output Idle Noise
80uV
Efficiency 4Ω
79% @ 1000W
Efficiency 8Ω
78% @ 500W
Frequency Response 20Hz--20kHz
± 0.4db
Lower Bandwidth
3.3Hz all loads
Balanced Input Impedance
60.4kΩ
Unbalanced Input Impedance
60.4kΩ
Dynamic Range
118db
Gain
27db
Sensitivity
2.95V
Output Impedance
0.005Ω
Min Load
2Ω
Damping Factor (100Hz 8Ω)
Max Output Current
40A
Channel Tracking
< +/- 0.02 db
Crosstalk (20-20kHz)
N/A
Idle power consumption
15w

Last edited:
I just added a Rogue Athena tube preamp into my system. With a MSRP of $5K, it is a big step above my Rouge Perseus tube preamp. The combination of the Athena and Wyred 4 Sound SX1000s is amazing. I could not be happier.

(I think most people would be happy with the W4S SX500s. The MLs will not take all of the W4S SX1000s' power.)

I just added a Rogue Athena tube preamp into my system. With a MSRP of $5K, it is a big step above my Rouge Perseus tube preamp. The combination of the Athena and Wyred 4 Sound SX1000s is amazing. I could not be happier.

(I think most people would be happy with the W4S SX500s. The MLs will not take all of the W4S SX1000s' power.)

I bought the Wyred 4 Sound mAMPs thanks to reviews like this from tabascocat1994. I was worried about trying something that I couldn't audition. I figured that W4S had enough good reviews, and I really love their DAC-1LE so I figured I'd try the amps out. I thought about the SX1000, but I was told that the mAMPs should be enough power and the 3rd gen ICE would sound a bit better so I bought the mAMPs. I couldn't be more happy. They are still being broken in, but they already sound amazing. Plenty of power, they run my Montis better than parasound, marantz, and sherbourn. They are smooth, accurate, have awesome imaging and soundstage. My Montis are finally being driven properly. I highly recommend.

I'm driving my CLSs with a W4S STI 1000 integrated amp and am very happy.

I had a W4S amp for a while as well. No complaints at all about the sound. Only sold it as it was a 4 ch amp, not needed with my MLs as the bass is self powered.

Latest posts

Back