A Hello and a Question (or Two) from a Newbie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Flick

Reaction score
Hello, Club Members, I am a new member and a new owner of my first ML speakers. Although they are mere Encore TFs and I realize they are the absolute bottom end of the product line and the range of equipment owned by most of you on this site, hey, they're new to me!

And I hope that, when I get them hooked up in my modest home theater system shortly, they will represent both a step up on my economically constrained journey toward quality sound as well as the best sound I could have bought for the $150 each I paid for three (left, center and right) Encores at Fry's. All I know is that they seemed like a great deal at that closeout price and they sounded better in Fry's demo room than the Cambridge Soundworks MC630 HD speakers I currently have connected. These are powered by an old Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver. I should note that my nearly sole use for this system is for Movie Sound. We don't play much music on it.

My question concerns impedance -- a concept I never really grasped. Does the fact that the Encores are 4 ohm speakers place any special requirements on my receiver? And if so, what would that be? IS my old clunker Pioneer (maybe 8-10 years old) likely not up to the job of getting the most out of these speakers? If that is the case, what would its shortcoming be? And if I do need a better receiver -- either for the health of my system or for optimum performance from my new speakers, will a new Pioneer VSX-1020-K do the job?

Thanks for any enlightenment you are willing to provide. I'm looking forward to treating my 70 year old ears to some sonic dessert soon.

First off, welcome to the club Ken!

I'm not familiar with the Encore series but I think your receiver will be OK to drive them.

If your receiver has pre-outs you can always add a power amplifier and then use the receiver as a pre amp.

Welcome Ken, you will probbably be fine with your receiver. FWIW regarding impedence the short answer is the lower the 'nominal' # the speaker is rated at the more 'demanding' it CAN be of your amplifiers capability to deliver clean undistorted power.

Back