Salon Son & Image Show 2011

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichTeer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to the SSI show in Montreal next week and was wondering if anyone else here was going, and if so, would you be interested in a get together of some sorts?

I'm going as well. Don't yet know which day, but am definitely interested in a get-together.

I was looking at the list of exhibitors. ML is not going to be there, but hopefully one of their retailers will have the CLX's.

Anyone else going ? I'll be in Montreal Friday morning to Sunday morning.

Brief Show Report

I met Rich Teer and a bunch of his cronies for a great dinner Friday evening - Montreal is a great restaurant town (Joe, put "Le Hangar" on your list). It was great to meet Rich and put a face to a name; okay, I knew what he looks like from him e-rag. We did of course discuss this forum and lots of audio stuff.

I attended the show on Saturday, at what is probably my least favourite hotel in Montrel, the Hilton. It is a dark, depressing maze.

I was generally unimpressed by the show, apart from the MBL room. There were far too few exhibitors, and I was not impressed with what I heard.

The MBL's I heard were the $70K/pair ones. I was amazed at their disappearing act; you really could not identify the source of the sound. Unfortunately the room was way too small, and I was about 7ft from the speakers, which were about 10ft apart. They created a wide, deep soundstage. I thought it was curious that compared to my SL3's there was some detail there was extra, and some that was missing. I took along a few CD's, and am basing my comments on that. Where there was stuff missing was in the lower registers of the female voice and the saxophone. Also, one recording starts with something that sounds like fluttering, and that I almost did not hear there (it's an instrument, not an artifact). Mind you, the conditions were far from ideal. Also, I kept hearing a rumble in the background; the hotel is right across the street from Montreal's main train and subway station.

The guy in the MBL room (the Prez and CEO of MBL North America) was most accomodating when I asked if he would play my CD's (5 tracks in all). The whole chain was MBL.

Much as I liked the MBL's, I did not leave the room feeling dissatisfied with my ML's.

Next, I walked into the Wilson room, to hear what sounded like crap, in an empty room. The speakers were Alexandrias, and sounded like nothing special. I asked the guy there if he would play my CD's, to be told that they had a set program and would only play my stuff if I went back between 5 and 6 pm. I left him playing his set program to an empty room; I did not go back.

There were lots of LPs and CDs on sale, as well as a bunch of audio accessories (MoFi sleeves, cleaning fluid, cones, etc). I bought 3 CDs (one Chesky and 2 RR) for $50. I looked at the Getz/Gilberto XRCD, and was tempted to buy it, but it was $40, and I have the LP, so did not buy it. There were lots more XRCDs. The vendor threw in a free CD from FIM, with supposedly 30 seconds each of 100 great recordings, but the CD does not play.

I saw one funny CD; it was entitled "Lullabies from the Axis of Evil", and had lullabies from Iran, Syria, North Vietnam, and a few other countries. What a track from Mexico was doing there I have no idea.

I went on Saturday without a camera, thinking I would go back and take pictures on Sunday, but decided that there was nothing worth photographing. Sorry Justin.

Last edited:
It was great meeting you, Bernard! I agree the restaurant's food was good and more reasonably priced than I expected. But a shame that we nearly died of starvation before being served!

It was great meeting you, Bernard! I agree the restaurant's food was good and more reasonably priced than I expected. But a shame that we nearly died of starvation before being served!
Yup, imagine having a reservation at 9pm, but being seated at 10:30pm!

But, as the young lady in our group said, it was worth the wait.

Back