Vantage vs Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinr

Reaction score
After I had to sell my Summits a few months ago, I finally returned to my ML dealer with the intention of buying probably the Ethos - the Summit is now out of my price range. I have to admit the Ethos is a stunning looking speaker. ML should be proud of it's design. The Ethos sounds as good as it looks. Wow! Punchy bass, clear uncompressed sound across the whole frequency range. Awesome!

I also had a listen to the new Spire. Again stunning. Perhaps a little more open, with the bass not quite as punchy as the Ethos, but the bass seems somehow smoother and deeper in the Spire. In a bigger room the Spire may very well be a better choice if you can afford the dollars.

In the same room was the Vantage and the Vista. It's easy just to concentrate on the new rather than consider the more established models. So I thought; 'Okay, lets listen to the Vantage just for perspective' - although I thought I pretty much knew the sound from an audition in my home a couple of years ago.

Well! There was something wrong here. I really thought the Vantage would sound dated and small compared with the new siblings. Boy, was I wrong! The sound of the Vantage made me sit up and take notice. The bass was full and seemingly more extended than the Ethos but not as 'punchy'. The mids and highs had just as much 'air' with a broad engrossing soundstage to die for. Everything was there that the Ethos had, only perhaps the voicing was a little different from the Ethos.

What was interesting, is that the Vantage seemed to sound more similar to the Spire than the Ethos. I don't know whether others have noticed this. Again, I cannot say that the Spire is superior to the Vantage. It's just that the Spire offers a little more 'air' and a little more extension in the bass. If I closed my eyes and I reckon I would not be able to tell which speaker was which - not without cheating.

I think the differences between the Vantage and the Spire would be more apparent in a larger room. I guess that's what ML had in mind when designing these speakers.

Now getting back to the original theme of this post, the Vantage vs the Ethos. After more extended listening, I thought the Ethos' bass was a little too forward and overpowering. I realised soon after that ML provided a control at the rear of this speaker which provided bass adjustment from 100 Hz down. I can see why this was included. After adjusting the bass, the Ethos sounded more balanced. But the Vantage still seemed even better balanced in the bass ( this speaker has a 35 Hz control to adjust the lower bass). After a little twiddling with the 35 Hz control, I could make the Vantage sound closer to the Spire.

So which one am I going to buy? Whew! Tough choice. I'm kinda leaning towards the Vantage. I'm not sure I like the Ethos' bass as much as the Vantage/Spire. And there's the dollar factor. The Vantage can be had for very competitive dollars. Decisions, decisions...

P.S. Don't take my observations as being critical of any of the above speakers. They all sounded fantastic in their own way. I would be happy to own any of them. Also don't forget the room has a big bearing on any subjective opinion relating to sound quality.

Last edited:
Be thankful, at least you have dealers to audition at. I had to grab mine based on reviews...

Wow, very cool to hear that the Vantages can still hold against the new players! I love mine!

Hola I have both models...and I vote for the Ethos. It is more open, and more precise with bass response in the room where I have both. The design, a little bit taller, and the digital crossover built in, just love this feature. The good thing is that both are great, and I could live with the Vantages too. Also the Vantages are the best selling speakers ML model here in Costa Rica. Expending $ 1300.00 more for the Ethos, you must have good electronics and cables to listen a clear difference. All is matter of taste and if you are willing to spend a little bit more just go for the Ethos. I hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

I reckon the smallish room had some influence. A larger room may have allowed the Ethos to sound a little more balanced. The more I think about it, I recognize the Ethos is a brilliant design. The bass punch from these speakers has to be heard to be believed. There's also the possibility that the Ethos wasn't run in properly.

I really liked the Spire as well. I wish I had time to listen to the new Summit X.

But getting back to the Vantage. These speakers offer outstanding sound quality and are not in any way embarrassed by the slightly newer designs. Martin Logan got these speakers so right the first time that they are still a mainstay of their product line.

I haven't decided yet... :)

Last edited:
I try not to say this much because I don't want to sound like a complainer but....I NEED A SET OF ESL'S!!!!! Vantages would due just fine.

My wife, still after 2.5 yrs, has not found a good job in her field yet we pay large amounts of money to student loans all the same so the ability to buy my dream speakers keeps itself just out of my grip. I had a nice ML cash-stash going, and then in February I was T-boned by an uninsured driver so that money has been spent. I feel like I am cursed!

OK, sorry to derail the thread and whine, but I had to vent and most people think my lust for a set of stats is silly so I had to vent where I wont be mocked.

/rant over

I try not to say this much because I don't want to sound like a complainer but....I NEED A SET OF ESL'S!!!!! Vantages would due just fine.

My wife, still after 2.5 yrs, has not found a good job in her field yet we pay large amounts of money to student loans all the same so the ability to buy my dream speakers keeps itself just out of my grip. I had a nice ML cash-stash going, and then in February I was T-boned by an uninsured driver so that money has been spent. I feel like I am cursed!

OK, sorry to derail the thread and whine, but I had to vent and most people think my lust for a set of stats is silly so I had to vent where I wont be mocked.

/rant over

Sorry you're going through a hard time at the moment. Feel free to rant! :bowdown:

Getting into ESL's is really hard when you don't have the $$$ The Vantages have to be the very best value in hi-fi at the moment. Is there 'better' out there? Sure - ML offers some great upgrade options. But like anything, as you move upwards, the returns become much smaller. As Roberto points out, the sound quality improvement from Vantage to Ethos may come down to the the fact that the Ethos owners may benefit more from using upmarket cables than a Vantage owner.

With either speaker, the prospective owner can utilize less expensive amplifier options. I am considering the ARC VSi60 integrated tube amplifier which would offer more drive than the CEC Tube 53 I currently use. I could use a s/s amplifier but I reckon a tube amplifier would be the way to go.

I have to say, that if I can't afford to get into a Vantage, I would consider an Aerius i. I tried a pair at home and they sounded really good. I reckon they need a more powerful amplifier though. ML offers so many options and their legacy models are nothing to be sneezed at either...

Back